Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-14-2020, 06:53 PM   #1
CamaroRSOnt

Drives: 2023 SS Vert
Bit of a clunk at startup occasionally??

Not sure what to make of it I get a kind of a clunk , almost like an actuator or something but just on occasion and only at startup. I wonder about the NPP exhaust opening or closing a valve? Funny thing is though it sounds like it is coming from the front end around the engine, believe the NPP valve is at rear.

It only happens about one in four or so on startup, before I put the tranny in gear or anything else, right after the engine starts. Never hear it again after that while driving and seems random on startup. I keep it in sports mode so that isn't changing. V6 with A10.

Anyone have an idea on what it might be? Car only has 800 miles on it. No point taking it in for this as it will be near impossible to duplicate as it kinda random. Thanks for any input.
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
CamaroRSOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:27 PM   #2
Yellow Beast
TD

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2014 Mercedes C300
Take it in if you really think its an issue. Leave it until they hear it. The car is new! We'd be guessing unless you post a video.
Yellow Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:04 PM   #3
CamaroRSOnt

I did find this below related to all GM small trucks and passenger vehicles with automatics. Looks like they update this year to year because I found it updated 3 yrs in a row to include the current year vehicles.

Does sound a lot like it with the clunk issue but I don't get movement of the vehicle, it only happens after the vehicle has sat for the night as they describe in this below. I have also read that some have issues with a sticky solenoid that isn't quick enough to disengage with the flywheel at startup that can create a clunk sound as well. Will try their suggested parking brake fix from below.

Another forum member and I have swapped notes, seems we are having the same issue with our 2020's.

Holding off taking it in to the dealer until I get a better sense of where it is coming from and I can point them in the right direction. If you don't get the mechanics focused on the right thing dealerships can screw around and screw around with stuff like this wasting my time.

#08-07-30-026E: Information on Slight Vehicle Movement in Park at Start Up After Cold Soak - (Dec 12, 2017)
Subject: Information on Slight Vehicle Movement in Park at Start Up After Cold Soak

Models: 2018 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks
Equipped with Automatic Transmission

Attention: This Bulletin also applies to any of the above vehicles that may be Export from North America vehicles.
This Bulletin has been revised to add the 2018 Model Year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-07-30-026D.

2018 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks
Equipped with Automatic Transmission

Some vehicles may rock or move slightly forward or rearward while in Park at start up after cold soak. This condition may be accompanied by a clunk noise. This is a slight movement that is more often seen visually, rather than felt, when viewed from the outside and using the auto-start feature, if equipped.

This slight movement is due to the residual transmission fluid in the clutch packs that creates a partial apply on start up. This movement is stopped by the parking pawl and/or transmission fluid exhausting completely from the clutch packs.

This condition is normal and no repairs should be attempted. This can be verified by comparing with another identically built vehicle under the same cold conditions. 

Please communicate to the customer this condition is a normal operating characteristic of the vehicle. This slight movement has no adverse affects on the transmission. To prevent this condition from occurring, the parking brake should be utilized as per the Owner's Manual recommendations anytime the vehicle is parked. Please share this information with the customer including a copy of this message.
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
Old 06-21-2020, 02:27 PM   #4
CamaroRSOnt

I see there was a thread on this same issue before, not uncommon the clunk at startup for quite a few of us. Seems like it isn't a big issue though so far as the performance of the car or tranny over time.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ht=clunk+start
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
Old 06-09-2023, 10:54 PM   #5
MRBLIV

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2LT
This is the only thing I have found that is close to what I was experiencing. Right after start i hear a single clunk... Thing is brand new like I don't have my license plate new yet. Only happens on cold starts or right after a short drive. I have a video with a clear loud clunk. What was the fix or what was determined. Sorry just a bit paranoid haha.

2023 Camaro V6 A10

Last edited by MRBLIV; 06-09-2023 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Video did not upload
MRBLIV is offline   Reply With Quote