Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-25-2015, 03:08 AM   #1
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Official 2016 Camaro GM Track Events and Competitive Driving Prep Guide

This section within the manual provided by GM, might come in handy for anyone wanting to track their car. A lot of prep is required if you want to retain your warranty.

Track Events and Competitive Driving
1.) The Engine Sound Management setting (if equipped) should not be set to “Stealth Mode” during track events and competitive driving.

Engine Oil
2.) If you use the vehicle for racing or other competitive driving, the engine may use more oil than it would with normal use. Low oil levels can damage the engine.

Be sure to check the oil level often during racing or other competitive driving and keep the level at or near the upper mark that shows the proper operating range on the engine oil dipstick.

Rear Axle Fluid
3.) Axles must have 2400 km (1500 mi) before being used in track driving. The rear axle fluid temperatures may be higher than when driving in severe conditions. Drain and refill with new fluid after the first racing or competitive driving event, and then after every 24 hours of racing or competitive driving.

During a first time track or racing event, high rear axle temperatures can occur. Damage could be caused to the rear axle and would not be covered by the vehicle warranty. Do not drive as long or as fast the first time the vehicle is driven on the track or raced.

Brake Fluid
4.) For track events or competitive driving, it is recommended that the brake fluid be replaced with a high performance brake fluid that has a dry boiling point greater than 279 °C (534 °F). After conversion to the high performance brake fluid, follow the brake fluid service recommendations outlined by the fluid manufacturer. Do not use silicone or DOT-5 brake fluids.

Brake Burnishing
5.) To prepare the Camaro brake systems for track events and racing, complete the appropriate high performance brake burnishing procedure described below. New brake pads must be burnished before racing or competitive driving.

These procedures are specific to the Camaro SS, or LT with Y4Q Heavy Duty Cooling System that is equipped with J55 brakes. This
procedure should not be run on other Camaro models as damage may result.

When performed as instructed, this procedure will not damage the brakes. During the burnishing procedure, the brake pads will smoke and produce an odor. The braking force and pedal travel may increase. After the procedure is complete, the brake pads may
appear white at the rotor contact. Run this procedure in a safe manner and in compliance with all local and state ordinances/laws
regarding motor vehicle operation. Run this procedure only on dry pavement.

Racing/Track Brake Burnishing Procedure

Brake pedal fade will occur during this track burnish procedure and can cause brake pedal travel and force to increase. This could extend stopping distance until the brakes are fully burnished.

Last edited by Sledgehammer70; 10-25-2015 at 03:21 AM.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:51 PM   #2
IamR3D88

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LT RS
So do they all ship with the alternate deflectors and sheilds?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
IamR3D88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:26 PM   #3
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamR3D88 View Post
So do they all ship with the alternate deflectors and sheilds?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
Great question. No one knows currently. But it seems it is a SS thing only.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:02 PM   #4
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
So you SS guys are basically performing a front break change (twice!) everytime you want to track your car!

On a positive note: you'll already be in there if you do want to do a break change and you'll be on top of your pad life and rotor condition!

Just wait till the mustang guys get ahold of this one! Hahaha.

I'm sorry..... Swear I'm not trolling guys. Does anyone else feel like this is a bit rediculous? That is a lot of work to prep for a track day - and you gotta reverse it when done!
Old 10-27-2015, 08:47 AM   #5
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIanZ28 View Post
So you SS guys are basically performing a front break change (twice!) everytime you want to track your car!

On a positive note: you'll already be in there if you do want to do a break change and you'll be on top of your pad life and rotor condition!

Just wait till the mustang guys get ahold of this one! Hahaha.

I'm sorry..... Swear I'm not trolling guys. Does anyone else feel like this is a bit rediculous? That is a lot of work to prep for a track day - and you gotta reverse it when done!
I think this is more so for a hard core track day, not if you are going to do a smaller autoX event or something. As for the prep though, most cars SHOULD be properly prepped before a track day regardless...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:58 AM   #6
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
at least they are talking about allowing tracking for your vehcle while maintainig your warranty. I remember the 1LE over on 5 forum was an issue with transmission and GM wouldn't pay for it, yet there was a discrepency why GM woudln't pay for it.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #7
Tim Adams

Drives: 2020 Elkhart Lake Blue 1LT Z51 C8
Wonder when the COPO will be announced? Would be nice to see them continue it, even if they are getting their butts kicked by the Cobra Jets.
Tim Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:36 PM   #8
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Adams View Post
Wonder when the COPO will be announced? Would be nice to see them continue it, even if they are getting their butts kicked by the Cobra Jets.
Was announced 15 minutes ago...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:58 PM   #9
Tim Adams

Drives: 2020 Elkhart Lake Blue 1LT Z51 C8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
Was announced 15 minutes ago...
Just saw it on Facebook. Sexy.
Tim Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:11 PM   #10
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Running the the "race setup" (tall deflector and small splash shield) does not really seem very risky to me.
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:49 AM   #11
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Question

Any current ZL1owner present?
Do you also need to do track preparation and set things back afterwards when you go on ocassional tracking days?
Any limitation to your warranty if you track your car?
Please advise

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 11-09-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #12
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Kinda weird....

I mean everything sounds logical except for the "stealth mode" for the exhaust....???

Don't get that at all.

The brake procedure seems over done but I'm sure they(GM) are just trying to protect themselves.

The deflector things seems like a pain in the ass. lol
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:46 AM   #13
DannyB

Drives: Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Kinda weird....

I mean everything sounds logical except for the "stealth mode" for the exhaust....???

Don't get that at all.
What is illogical about NOT having the exhaust in "stealth mode" when tracking the car? You want the most free flowing exhaust you can have when on the track.
DannyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:09 PM   #14
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Any current ZL1owner present?
Do you also need to do track preparation and set things back afterwards when you go on ocassional tracking days?
Any limitation to your warranty if you track your car?
Please advise
I have a ZL1 and track.

1.) NA
2.) True with any high performance vehicle.
3.) The same recommendation on the rear dif.
4.) It is highly recommended to upgrade brake fluid to Dot 4 for track use.(Motul 600 is great and what I use)
As to brakes step 5... no And it is disappointing to see all the steps needed for a track session setup for a SS. Hopefully aftermarket or 1LE option will remove this ridiculousness.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote