Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-14-2015, 11:56 AM   #1
DrivelikeIstoleit

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS M6
Rear end swap on V6 RS M6

So I was speaking with a man at Westchester Custom Corvette in NY. I told him I wanted to cut acceleration time and increase performance. His recommendation was to do a custom performance tune by wiping the engine management system and installing a performance software package, just as a start. Next he stated the Rear Differential was the same in the RS V6 M6 as the SS V8, and that if I truly wanted to increase acceleration, I should consider replacing the 3.45 rear end with a 4.10. I do know that a larger rear end sacrifices top end speed, but the gentleman stated the 3.45 rear end is so under torqued for the V6 that top end speed for that model isn't even attainable because the torque ratio can't overcome wind resistance and drag. He stated that top end speed will be less with a 4.10, (approx. 140 mph) but it is an attainable top speed. I have seen a lot of posts about SS rear ends going to a 3.91, but not the 4.10. And none about going to a 3.91 or 4.10 in a V6... SO..... My question is... Has anybody ever made this kind of a modification to the rear end of a V6 Camaro? And if so... What was your results? Any input would be appreciated......
DrivelikeIstoleit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:16 PM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
There are a lot of good threads about V6 tunes and gear swaps on the Camaro5.com web site. I suggest you check it out.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #3
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
3.45 to a 4.10 is a gear swap, not an entire rear end swap. You're going to give your mileage a big hit by doing this big of a change and 4.10s aren't known for their strength. Maybe consider 3.73ss(probably not a big enough change to be worth it) or 3.90s also. I'm not exactly sure what ratios are even available for your rear end but those have been good options on previous camaros.

As far as a tune, that's always a good idea to get a little more power out of your car but find a reputable shop to do it. It's normally around $500. Most shops will only do a dyno tune but if you can find a place that will do some data logging on the street or that has a mustang dyno, even better, bc ur car will be tuned better for different loads instead of just tuned for an ideal condition WOT run. Your computer doesn't get wiped. It just gets read and then the appropriate tables modified to give you more power and then only the parts that were changed are flashed over on your ecu. You can do it yourself with software like HP Tuners and EFI Live and a wideband O2 sensor(very important) but it's more expensive and there is a very large learning curve. I took some classes to learn myself. The upside is you can tune your car yourself whenever you want to.
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote