Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #1
shootamc58

Drives: 2018 zl1 1le
Need some help/advice

I'm running at 652 rwhp in my zl1 1le right now. Mods are pulley swap, headers, xpipe, throttle body, and tune. I did a 1/2 mile event this weekend and had grip issues all day. I am currently run cup 2 tires and shifting from 1 to 2 and sometimes 2-3 the traction system kicked in and cut power. The strange thing is i was using launch control. I would think that turns t/c off correct? I'm putting in my cam, polished and ported heads, and e85 kit next week. I'm sure i'll need drag radials at that point and don't see much in the way of 19 inch tires i want, so its probably time for 2nd set of wheels and tires for straight line events only. I'm more concerned about the dropping power while shifting. It is the strangest thing and i've never had issues on my other cars including my 16 z06 or my gtr. Any input would be much appreciated. I do road track days too and did not have this issue when road racing. i was hitting 150 on the main straight at NCM raceway and was only trapping 140 on the half mile. Hope this gives some reference for the issue i'm having. Thanks in advance. I Just switched to these tires 3 weeks ago. I ran the factory goodyears up till that point.

Last edited by shootamc58; 08-20-2018 at 10:07 AM.
shootamc58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
shootamc58

Well, I guess no one had any ideas. My tuner thinks it was an air bubble in the supercharger. It happened to a 16 z06 of his. He is checking it out next week when I do my procharger f1a 94, cam, and e85 kit. Hopefully this info helps someone else if this problem comes up.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #3
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootamc58 View Post
Well, I guess no one had any ideas. My tuner thinks it was an air bubble in the supercharger. It happened to a 16 z06 of his. He is checking it out next week when I do my procharger f1a 94, cam, and e85 kit. Hopefully this info helps someone else if this problem comes up.
Still don't have a clue how an air bubble in your supercharger causes traction issues.
Never heard of an air bubble in a supercharger.
Air pocket in the engine cooling system, heard of that. Is that similar to what you mean, like an air pocket in the supercharger coolant?

If there was an air pocket in the SC cooling system, how did it get there?
Was the system opened?
Have a leak?

Did the air pocket effect IAT and cause ignition timing to be pulled?
Old 08-21-2018, 11:17 AM   #4
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
The OEM tires are 100 tread wear and the cup 2's are 180. The OEM tires should give you more grip.

Who is your tuner?
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:30 AM   #5
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Do you have an automatic or manual? *EDIT I see you have a 1LE so it's a manual* If it's a manual and you rest your foot on the clutch before shifting, it may cut power. There was this thread that just came up recently...

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535881
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
shootamc58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
Still don't have a clue how an air bubble in your supercharger causes traction issues.
Never heard of an air bubble in a supercharger.
Air pocket in the engine cooling system, heard of that. Is that similar to what you mean, like an air pocket in the supercharger coolant?

If there was an air pocket in the SC cooling system, how did it get there?
Was the system opened?
Have a leak?

Did the air pocket effect IAT and cause ignition timing to be pulled?
EXACTLY his theory. I was cutting power. i was spinning a bit off the line but the shift between 2nd and third is where the power loss occurred. I thought that traction was kicking in and killing the power but he's quite sure it was the supercharger issue. He will confirm next week when he does the rest of my mods.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #7
shootamc58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock View Post
The OEM tires are 100 tread wear and the cup 2's are 180. The OEM tires should give you more grip.

Who is your tuner?
Agreed. I don't usually do half miles and wanted to try the cup2 tires since i liked them on my zo6. I'm going to try r888 next for a nice mix of the two. Liked the factory goodyears a lot but only got 2800. Just trying different set ups to see what works best.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:21 PM   #8
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I do not know many tuners in our area. I assume you live in Indiana. Who is doing your tuning? And we have a 1/2 mile drag strip located in Batesville Indiana.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:40 PM   #9
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Launch control is part of the PTM system and therefore TC stays on. This seems like waaaay to much power for the tires. If you want security of Stabilitrack but no TC run it in Competitive Mode. Or all off.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:33 PM   #10
Jonnydz

Drives: 2017 1ss 1le
Dont rest your foot on the clutch. It's very sensitive and will cut the power. Do a search there are plenty of others who have this problem.
Jonnydz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:55 AM   #11
shootamc58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock View Post
I do not know many tuners in our area. I assume you live in Indiana. Who is doing your tuning? And we have a 1/2 mile drag strip located in Batesville Indiana.
Justin May and Indiana Muscle Car does mine. He's great. If my new round of mods are done I'm coming to the Batesville event in October.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:57 AM   #12
shootamc58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Launch control is part of the PTM system and therefore TC stays on. This seems like waaaay to much power for the tires. If you want security of Stabilitrack but no TC run it in Competitive Mode. Or all off.
Yeah, hate to say it but i don't know all that I should about that system. My fault completely. I'll for sure be better versed for my next half mile. First one I've done and had a blast. I'm more of a road course guy, but this opened my eyes to a whole new way to have fun in my car.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:58 AM   #13
shootamc58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnydz View Post
Dont rest your foot on the clutch. It's very sensitive and will cut the power. Do a search there are plenty of others who have this problem.
Thanks, hadn't thought of that and not sure i dont do it or not without thinking about it. I'll have to be more aware of this next time.