Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 02-25-2017, 09:03 AM   #15
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
TLSTWIN - You need to do some reading. Besides the large, obvious parts; there are a lot of small parts and changes compared the regular ZL1. I was thinking $5-6K for the option, but we'll see.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:07 AM   #16
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I see MSRP between 66k to 69k, don't see it being over 70k, that wouldn't fly
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #17
NB2017ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 10 Speed Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaro View Post
Just my $0.02, I hope you are incorrect on that...it's all about supply vs demand. I suspect the average ZL1 buyer won't want the 1LE package so right off, the demand will be a fraction of the regular ZL1. Keep in mind, people like you and me on forums are enthusiasts, we are the smaller market so while the forum may be going nuts right now, most people won't care at all. The bigger thing is, hopefully Chevrolet want to actually sell this thing so they won't limit production to 500 like the GT350R. If they make a few thousand to satisfy demand, ADM should be kept in check.
Al O said at the release its a "limited run" car. That equals opportunity for dealers to apply ADM should they desire. This is not a full production model according to Al
Old 02-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #18
Hammerli

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Summit M6 PDR SR ECW
$69,720, because they always use strange numbers.
Hammerli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:14 AM   #19
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NB2017ZL1 View Post
Al O said at the release its a "limited run" car. That equals opportunity for dealers to apply ADM should they desire. This is not a full production model according to Al
I hope there is ADM at the beginning. Then I can pick one up cheap (relatively speaking) when they don't move. I see this going the way of the z/28.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:16 AM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
Interesting, I hadn't heard of the thinner rear glass. Where did that come from?

The splitter cost is a swap from the "standard no? not an "extra". It's part of the package like you stated with the hood, which I understood, just trying to list the cost of it.

The rear spoiler is a shocker to me, I understand it is CF, so it will be more, but the "standard" ZL1 spoiler isn't that much different in "artwork". The new spoiler obviously is taller, but the "standard" spoiler had just as much R&D and sculpting. Look at the time that was spent in the front grill design

I enjopy thinking and talking about this data
There are multiple outlets for news on this car since it was announced last night. There was no formal briefing ahead of time, so journalists are spouting what catches there eye.

I think the glass thing came from Chevy's media site, but it's down at the moment, so I can't confirm that - but I do know it exists.

Anytime you create a new part, there is R&D associated with it. And when you make less of the parts, the R&D shows up more. So yes,the new splitter will be a replacement for the standard splitter...but they reworked the design (no doubt in the wind tunnel), and altered the strakes underneath. It also has additional material to "black out" the body panel in between the grille and splitter. So it'll cost a bit more to put on.

As far as the wing. Don't underestimate the cost of Carbon Fiber. The OE ZL1 spoiler may be a complex, and functional design as well...but it's injection molded plastic. This is formed Carbon Fiber, exposed weave so it has to lay and look perfect. The endplates are carbon fiber as well, sculpted and "3D", bonded to the main wing. Not only that, the form is more complex than the standard wing/spoiler...because it's a true airfoil, generating many hundreds of pounds of downforce. That takes precision, and strength.

I enjoy it, too!!

I got on the horn with Adam Barry, the exterior designer for this car and got some good info - I'll pop it into a thread, soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
I hope there is ADM at the beginning. Then I can pick one up cheap (relatively speaking) when they don't move. I see this going the way of the z/28.
If any dealer orders one of these packages on their ZL1s, and doesn't have frequent Camaro/Corvette buyers? They're crazy. I expect we'll see this option as a primarily "ordered" item...and not dealer stock.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:30 AM   #21
Macaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NB2017ZL1 View Post
But how limited. The Z/28 was limited but there were what, 3x as many per year as the GT350R?

I hope they (Chevrolet) find the balance between excess supply they have to dump later at a discount and too few that ADM keeps the cars from us normal humans. Course, that could just be my own wishful thinking. I really want this car...

DM
Macaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:32 AM   #22
ELS1

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I think the glass thing came from Chevy's media site, but it's down at the moment, so I can't confirm that - but I do know it exists.
You are correct, it was stated in the video on Chevy's media site.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:39 AM   #23
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Folks don't understand the impact of volume on an automotive business case.

Even using low volume tools (aluminum vs. steel, kirksite) there is still a few million bucks in tooling the wing, front canards, wheels, tires and then look at the validation of all those parts. I will pretty much assure you GM did a trunk slam durability to validate the wing and trunk attachment. Maybe using CAE as an alternative, but even that costs money.

So how much did GM put into the design, development, validation and tooling for this car? Several million I'm sure if you include HC.

So let's guess 1,000 units (there will still be people buying the ZL1 btw) you are talking at a minimum $1,000 per car, and I'm guessing it's more simply for development costs.

Now will GM do creative things like dealer install the wing? Imagine the cost of line space to have a whole bunch of ATS, CTS and Camaros go by and four or five times a day the operator has to install a carbon fiber rear wing. It's big, would take line space and LGR is a small, efficient plant.

Low volume, near custom isn't cheap or easy.

Mr. Wyndham is in the ball park, I believe. Pretty sure it will push $70,000. Base ZL1 is $61,000?? And a 1LE package on an SS is $6,500 so I'm pretty sure it's at least in that ball park. So bottom end will be $67,500 as my guess. The rest is simply how much GM intends to profit on the endeavor.

So remember all you guys that were championing GM's approach to making huge profits on lower volumes as the reason it was ok for the Mustang to consistently outsell the Camaro? Get ready for that in spades. GM didn't do this for fun.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:49 AM   #24
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
I was trying, thats why I was listing things, help me do your math
I apologize for that.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:49 AM   #25
67Builder
White knuckled & smiling

Drives: '17 ZL1 AKA Perfection!
The limited number built (do we have a number that will be built?) will be the determining factor in how much this thing actually sells for.
I'll guess MSRP of $69,500 with ADMs in the 10K+ range if its truly limited.

Think 2014 Z/28. It was an actually limited number built, and they sold quite well. Even at the crazy prices. It was 2015 that started the overbuild of Z/28s that led to them sitting on lots and finally having deep discounts.

So if they stick to it being an actually limited number. People will jump all over them even if they end up near 80K. At 80k, I'd go pimped out Corvette GS personally. But that's just me.

I still want those wheels/tires for track days though. Hoping a set won't be prohibitively expensive.
6000 - 04/05/2017 - Delivered!
67Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:51 AM   #26
NB2017ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 10 Speed Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaro View Post
But how limited. The Z/28 was limited but there were what, 3x as many per year as the GT350R?

I hope they (Chevrolet) find the balance between excess supply they have to dump later at a discount and too few that ADM keeps the cars from us normal humans. Course, that could just be my own wishful thinking. I really want this car...

DM

No idea. I'm in Orlando now on vaca and my buddy was at Daytona yesterday and all the buzz was the fact that Al O said limited run

Not sure what that all means for numbers but .....
Old 02-25-2017, 10:02 AM   #27
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
TLSTWIN - You need to do some reading. Besides the large, obvious parts; there are a lot of small parts and changes compared the regular ZL1. I was thinking $5-6K for the option, but we'll see.
Post some links
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
I apologize for that.
no worries, just trying to generate thought and conversation
Old 02-25-2017, 10:17 AM   #28
Bigchiefs1

Drives: 2012 transformer edition
I don't think I would take it if it was a free upgrade
Bigchiefs1 is offline   Reply With Quote