Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-04-2016, 01:56 PM   #43
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
I am anxiously waiting for the Head 2 Head comparison.
Me, too. I'm, of course, biased....but I expect the ZL1 to annihilate the GT350R. Ford fans will cry "not fair"...but I will be a very happy Camaro fan.

Quote:
With the sale of my car in the Avatar, the 1LE will be a cake walk. The ZL1 will be a little harder (obviously). My group does do runs like we used to (Banzai!). Even so the guys with C6 Z06s told me the power level was more than enough. I suspect with the suspension improvements the whole set up of the 1LE will mimic the ZL1, with less power. Maybe with a few bolt-ons, a little tuning.... You may have sold me on a 1LE.
I'm glad! It's an exceptional car, and truly the best bargain (imo) of Chevrolet's performance portfolio. You can't go wrong with it if you have the $$ to spend.

Quote:
Or maybe not.....

"One drink is too many, but ten are not enough"
To be honest, if they would allow the 1LE package on a 2SS car, I'd be very hard-pressed to pass that up. It would be at least 10k less than a ZL1...I know I don't need all of the power, and I could certainly live without it. Most of what I miss about my old ZL1 is on the new 1LE...MR, PTM, big brakes...but at the same time...I miss driving the "big dog", and the unique styling, interior, and attention it got. (Call me vain...)

So, we'll see.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #44
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
You mean like in a drag race? In what world will that happen? GT350's have a hard time breaking into the low 12's...most are in the mid 12's.
To clarify, I'm talking about a 1LE, not a ZL1.

The GT350 beat the 5th gen Z28 in a Motor Trend episode of Head 2 head. (To be perfectly honest I have trouble believing it).

For reasons not to be explained here, I'm not ruling the GT350 out.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #45
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:

The GT350 beat the 5th gen Z28 in a Motor Trend episode of Head 2 head. (To be perfectly honest I have trouble believing it).

GT350R not a GT350 beat the Z/28 and by the way I dare someone to see how much dropping about 40lbs (10lbs ea Carbon Fiber Wheel) in rotating mass would do for the Z/28 or any car for that matter. From an engineering perspective I can't stress to you enough how huge of an upgrade that is. It decreases drivetrain loss in HP/TQ and vastly helps with handling too.

Mark my words when CF wheels become even remotely affordable it will be the best upgrade available for any performance car.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:27 PM   #46
agl_bst

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
GT350R not a GT350 beat the Z/28 and by the way I dare someone to see how much dropping about 40lbs (10lbs ea Carbon Fiber Wheel) in rotating mass would do for the Z/28 or any car for that matter. From an engineering perspective I can't stress to you enough how huge of an upgrade that is. It decreases drivetrain loss in HP/TQ and vastly helps with handling too.

Mark my words when CF wheels become even remotely affordable it will be the best upgrade available for any performance car.
I reached out to carbon revolution, the makers of the GT350Rs carbon wheels. They said they currently don't offer a wheel sized for the 1LE. Those wheels and some high end tires is all i really want to do to the 1LE. Years from now I feel like I will.
agl_bst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:49 PM   #47
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:

Still, if you are talking 1/4 mile (which it sounded like you were by your comment) a SS 1LE will most likely beat a GT350R. I mean, what is the best (non hero run BS) 1/4 mile time for a GT350R? The two times I found were 12.5 and 12.3...a regular manual SS can match/beat that. Add in the SS 1LE's better tires and eLSD and I see the GT350R seeing tail lights....

BUT...these are track cars in all seriousness, AND, the SS 1LE will cost, what like $20,000 less than a GT350R and offer 90% of its track capabilities or so?
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:27 PM   #48
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
To be honest, if they would allow the 1LE package on a 2SS car, I'd be very hard-pressed to pass that up. It would be at least 10k less than a ZL1...I know I don't need all of the power, and I could certainly live without it. Most of what I miss about my old ZL1 is on the new 1LE...MR, PTM, big brakes...but at the same time...I miss driving the "big dog", and the unique styling, interior, and attention it got. (Call me vain...)

So, we'll see.
Maybe we can start a poll to help convince Chevy that a 2SS - 1LE is a good idea. The hard core track guys are going to order a 1SS-1LE in order to keep the weight down as much as possible. But I do believe that there are a lot of people out there that would like an upgrade to a standard SS Camaro and pay the extra money for a 2SS-1LE, like me. Yes I will track it but most likely not more than a few times a year. The rest of the time I would like the comfort of the cooled seats, the safety of the blind spot monitoring and the other amenities that come with the 2SS package. I'm not asking to give it to me for free but I am asking for the ability to check off the 2SS package on the 1LE.

I have a ZL1 and I love it's power and sound. But I rarely use all of that power and if most of us were honest they would say the same thing. 640 HP is nice to have readily available but not something that can be used all of the time.

Corvette has just released the Grand Sport, putting a Z06 body on top of an LT1 powered chassis. It is about $14,000 less than the starting point of a Z06 and the LT4 engine. A 2SS-1LE would be similar, basically an LT1 powered ZL1 like the Grand Sport is an LT1 powered Z06.

The approximate $4000 difference between a 1SS and a 2SS would be paid by a lot of us, like me. A poll might show Chevy how popular a 2SS-1LE can be.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:08 PM   #49
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by agl_bst View Post
I reached out to carbon revolution, the makers of the GT350Rs carbon wheels. They said they currently don't offer a wheel sized for the 1LE. Those wheels and some high end tires is all i really want to do to the 1LE. Years from now I feel like I will.
Unfortunately the price of those wheels will likely mean you have more money sunk into your 1LE than a ZL1 would have cost you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Maybe we can start a poll to help convince Chevy that a 2SS - 1LE is a good idea. The hard core track guys are going to order a 1SS-1LE in order to keep the weight down as much as possible. But I do believe that there are a lot of people out there that would like an upgrade to a standard SS Camaro and pay the extra money for a 2SS-1LE, like me. Yes I will track it but most likely not more than a few times a year. The rest of the time I would like the comfort of the cooled seats, the safety of the blind spot monitoring and the other amenities that come with the 2SS package. I'm not asking to give it to me for free but I am asking for the ability to check off the 2SS package on the 1LE.
I plan to do at least 5 track outings a year but this will also be my daily driver. A 2SS 1LE would be my dream combo!
Old 05-04-2016, 07:26 PM   #50
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:

I have a ZL1 and I love it's power and sound. But I rarely use all of that power and if most of us were honest they would say the same thing. 640 HP is nice to have readily available but not something that can be used all of the time.

Corvette has just released the Grand Sport, putting a Z06 body on top of an LT1 powered chassis. It is about $14,000 less than the starting point of a Z06 and the LT4 engine. A 2SS-1LE would be similar, basically an LT1 powered ZL1 like the Grand Sport is an LT1 powered Z06.

The approximate $4000 difference between a 1SS and a 2SS would be paid by a lot of us, like me. A poll might show Chevy how popular a 2SS-1LE can be.
I agree with you.

Start a thread and a poll...I'm going to keep my name off of the OP, though.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:13 PM   #51
crabman

Drives: Sniffin the tree.
Quote:

I'm with you 100%, the idea that the car somehow wouldn't be track worthy because it has ventilated seats is downright silly. My guess is the total extra weight of the 2SS package altogether would be offset by a few gallons of gas (with manual trans) making it pointless to hold back the option of getting a 2SS 1LE. Meanwhile the guys that think adding .oo1 lbs worth of dimming rear view mirror would forever ruin it as a track car can go ahead and check that 1SS box and everyone wins. How hard is it? When you're running a business and people want to throw money at you you let them, when did they stop teaching that in business school?

@Mr Wyndham... Would it be ok to insert some insults about the intelligence level of executive who made this decision now?
crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #52
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
@Mr Wyndham... Would it be ok to insert some insults about the intelligence level of executive who made this decision now?
No...the idea is not a result of stupidity...quite the opposite. And the people behind this decision are anything but stupid. Remember that the people who are building this car are, in fact, "people", and people have opinions.

The good news is...this opinion/decision is born out of a desire for performance and purity of heritage. My own take is basically..."it wouldn't hurt to offer a 2SS version for those who want it".
Old 05-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #53
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
I agree with you.

Start a thread and a poll...I'm going to keep my name off of the OP, though.
OK, thanks.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:43 PM   #54
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Me, too. I'm, of course, biased....but I expect the ZL1 to annihilate the GT350R. Ford fans will cry "not fair"...but I will be a very happy Camaro fan.

I'm glad! It's an exceptional car, and truly the best bargain (imo) of Chevrolet's performance portfolio. You can't go wrong with it if you have the $$ to spend.

So, we'll see.
Hmmmm.

I just did a search for common bolt ons for the Camaros, just cold air intake actually. None of the popular brands have a CARB number. K&N used to be a guaranteed manufacturer to give us a CARB compliant CAI. It looks like the after market isn't supporting California like they used to. I would keep any modifications to simple bolt ons. But I also like to keep it legal to avoid the trouble. I'm grown board with the idea of trying to hide mods from the authorities or making quick change outs for smog testing. Maybe I should just go for the "Big Dog".
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:07 PM   #55
agl_bst

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Unfortunately the price of those wheels will likely mean you have more money sunk into your 1LE than a ZL1 would have cost you
They are about 15k and they partially market them as the carbon wheel that can be mass produced to drive down cost. i think people have and do pay that much for machined aluminum wheels now. I was referring to how in a few years times this will be an attainable upgrade. Outside of building a car on a carbon tub then i think this is the way to go in terms of mods that actually improve your car.
agl_bst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:48 PM   #56
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by agl_bst View Post
They are about 15k and they partially market them as the carbon wheel that can be mass produced to drive down cost. i think people have and do pay that much for machined aluminum wheels now. I was referring to how in a few years times this will be an attainable upgrade. Outside of building a car on a carbon tub then i think this is the way to go in terms of mods that actually improve your car.
I wish I could swing that kind of coin for some wheels. I wouldn't be able to summon up the courage to spend more than 5K on a set.