Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 04-25-2016, 11:17 AM   #1
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Why get a 1LE over a ZL1?

Its a bone head question to get some honest answers.

For those fortunate to have a second car for recreational purposes would you choose the 1LE over the ZL1?

There is the obvious performance/power advantages of a ZL1. But then the added practical points such as mpg, weight and NA engine. While the ZL1 will be a monster, a 460 HP 6.2 liter engine is very capable.

Anybody here who would take a 1LE over a ZL1?

Thanks
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #2
BRMike

Drives: 2017 Corvette
I am anxiously awaiting pricing for the 1LE. The reason I may choose the 1LE over the ZL1 is price. Although pricing is not currently available for either, I think it's safe to say the ZL1 will be approximately $15,000 more than the 1LE.
2018 Kenetic Blue Metallic Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab (8A)
BRMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #3
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Price

No desire for a supercharged engine
Old 04-25-2016, 11:37 AM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
Its a bone head question to get some honest answers.

For those fortunate to have a second car for recreational purposes would you choose the 1LE over the ZL1?

There is the obvious performance/power advantages of a ZL1. But then the added practical points such as mpg, weight and NA engine. While the ZL1 will be a monster, a 460 HP 6.2 liter engine is very capable.

Anybody here who would take a 1LE over a ZL1?

Thanks
HUGE differential in price. Probably +/- $15,000.

The SS/1LE package offers buyers the ZL1's suspension setup and wheel/tire combo with specially-fitted brakes (for the 1LE application), ELSD, Recaro seats, and Performance Traction Management. Depending on the price-point...it's going to be a phenomenal bargain!

The LT1 will be more than capable of throwing such a light, nimble weapon around a road course...in some cases, it may be more fun because you can wring out all 455 hp. The weight balance will be a little better, it will probably turn in a little quicker, and it'll be cheaper to maintain in all metrics.

If they offered this package with the 2SS trim, I think I'd be all over it. But I have to have a 2SS interior...nevertheless, I'm not upset to have a ZL1 in my sights for next year.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:40 AM   #5
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Price. But I also am not a huge supercharger fan...now if the ZL1 was twin turbocharged, then I would have a big decision to make. But it's not...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:52 AM   #6
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Drives: Soon
<-- will be getting 1LE and not ZL1. I have zero desire for that additional power that comes with the ZL1.

--kC
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #7
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

The SS/1LE package offers buyers the ZL1's suspension setup and wheel/tire combo with specially-fitted brakes (for the 1LE application), ELSD, Recaro seats, and Performance Traction Management. Depending on the price-point...it's going to be a phenomenal bargain!

The LT1 will be more than capable of throwing such a light, nimble weapon around a road course...in some cases, it may be more fun because you can wring out all 455 hp. The weight balance will be a little better, it will probably turn in a little quicker, and it'll be cheaper to maintain in all metrics.

If they offered this package with the 2SS trim, I think I'd be all over it. But I have to have a 2SS interior...nevertheless, I'm not upset to have a ZL1 in my sights for next year.

1.) I get all the handling without the unnecessary additional power. 455hp with a few minor bolt ons is PLENTY!

2.) I have no interest in an Automatic much less a 10 speed.

3.) With performance data recorder and performance traction management I get all the goodies that I once thought would remain exclusive to the Corvette.

My only gripe like many others here is that I wish I got some more of the 2SS luxuries. Personally the only ones I will miss are the heated wheel and climate controlled seats. The way I see it the Suede won't be as bad as leather would be. Hot leather seats are much more uncomfortable than suede, same in the cold. Even so I could probably spend a little money and swap some 2LT 1LE seats and a heated suede wheel in. Then I would have zero complaints. This car fits my wants, needs, and wallet perfectly!

I'm certain that LT4 power in a Camaro will be intoxicating, but why pay all that additional money when all it gets you is more (potentially unusable) HP and a few exclusive trim pieces.

I think a better question will be, why a 1LE and not a Z/28 once it gets here. 1LE and Z/28 owners are cut more from the same cloth than ZL1 owners are. ZL1 is much more the High HP Grand Touring car than the Track Rat. Although I'm not sure how much you can call a car with automatic climate control, navigation, and Apple Car Play a track rat anymore.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:53 PM   #8
agl_bst

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Price

No desire for a supercharged engine
but mostly no desire for a supercharged engine. the gt350 is also hard to find at msrp
agl_bst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:57 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
1LE and Z/28 owners are cut more from the same cloth than ZL1 owners are. ZL1 is much more the High HP Grand Touring car than the Track Rat. Although I'm not sure how much you can call a car with automatic climate control, navigation, and Apple Car Play a track rat anymore.
I wouldn't go quite that far...each car has it's own "mix" of owners.

The 1LE has track enthusiasts...and appearance fans.

The ZL1 has track enthusiasts...HP-only junkies...and status buyers.

The Z/28 has track enthusiasts...and (at least for last generation) investment garage-queen buyers.

Make no mistake: when the ZL1 is not cruising down the boulevard, it will excel at track duty...and will be able to put all of it's power down to produce lap times as fast or faster than the last-gen Z/28. It may not be a "track rat"...but really no street car is anymore, except perhaps the GT3s and Z/28s of the world...

What that means, is that the 1LE benefits from all the chassis and handling goodness that gets the ZL1 around bends, but without about 150-200 lbs of extra engine & drivetrain weight.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:37 PM   #10
at7000ft

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

Just about like choosing between the current C7 Z06 and the new C7 Grand Sport coming this summer.
at7000ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #11
maraging

Drives: 15 1ss 1le
Price!
maraging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:22 PM   #12
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
It all comes down to price for me. Once I know the price of both, I'll make my decision.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:27 PM   #13
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Price is the biggest factory if I could afford the ZL1 and it was manual probably get that but it leaves at least an upgrade in the future
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:48 PM   #14
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
This is a really good question. The 1LE will have the lot of pieces from the ZL1 including Recaro seats, suede steering wheel and shifter, 6 piston/4 piston Brembo brakes, suspension and tire size. If the 1LE came as a 2SS, it might make my decision a bit easier.

I have a 2012 ZL1 and a 2015 Corvette so I know the power of both engines. I have tracked both cars and taken both on long trips. I enjoy both for different reasons. The ZL1's S/C whine and brute force is incredibly intoxicating. The Vette's LT1 pulls as quick as the LSA and I just love the interior and all of it's amenities. Other than at a track I rarely get deep into either of their power bands on the street.

I wanted the first ZL1 that was built but had to settle for all the constraints to clear before I got mine. By getting the first year, I missed out on the larger radio display, Recaro seats and a couple of smaller amenities. This time around, I'm going to wait for the ZL1, 1LE and the Z28 to come out and have some track time under their belts before I make a decision. It will be interesting to see how quick the three cars are and what engine they choose for the Z28.

Last edited by OldJedi; 04-26-2016 at 03:44 PM.
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote