Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 08-19-2018, 01:53 AM   #1
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Want track specific wheels/tires, what should I get

I know there's tons of threads on this but everyone's an individual so I figured I'd ask. I am new to the track this year. I've done two track days on the stock 1LE rims with supercar 3 tires this year.

I bought a set of used regular 20" SS wheels and put p-zero all seasons on them for street use in the off season.

My instructor at the track told me I should get smaller, lighter wheels for use on the track. He recommended 19" wheels and a track specific tire with "a little more side wall."

Now, I like the stock wheels just fine. In fact, they seem a little too nice for the track. But I am wondering if I just sell my stock 1LE rims and the tires (which have tons of life left) and follow his recommendation. If so, I don't really know how to do that. There are so many millions of options out there I just don't know what to do.

I don't need wider than the stock sizes.
I would be willing to go a bit narrower if it gave me access to more tire options or cheaper tire options.
I want to stay with the staggered setup.
I don't want to spend huge amounts of money on high-end wheels.
I would be happy with "good enough to get the job done and not break"
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:24 AM   #2
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
My recommendations, use the OEM tires until they're dead. Then look to change things up... At your level, there's no real benefit for scrapping the OEM setup.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:15 AM   #3
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
^^^
The only benefit I could think of, would be selling the 1LE wheels before they start accumulating wear and tear and losing their resale value.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #4
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Stock
Old 08-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #5
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Stock
I completely agree. At the start of last year, after 35 years of drag racing, I was in your shoes. I ran around 20 events with a number of sets of the stock tires. They are great tires well matched in their development specifically for the 17+ SS 1LE and ZL1.

I am running the 19" ZL1 1LE wheels and tires now (G3R's). They are "better" than the 20" G3's, but, I cannot say they are "worth" the much higher tire wear and operating costs for most people.

With the right alignment, tire management (rotating side to side), watching your tire pressures, etc., you will find the car is capable of VERY impressive track times with the stock Supercar 3's.

They are very predictable, forgiving, and can stand a lot of heat without falling off too much. If running SCCA events, you can run these in AS or CAM-C.

The only downside in my mind is if you are daily driving on them - wear nor rain performance is not great due to tread compound and reduced tread depth. For daily us, I have another set of stock SS 1LE wheels that I run Michelin Super Sports on (get Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - the Super Sport's replacement). I see you have bought another set for daily use, so, that will save a lot of wear on your G3's.

Good luck and keep us posted as you get more experience with your car.

Last edited by RUQWIKR; 08-19-2018 at 07:11 PM.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:30 PM   #6
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
I know there's tons of threads on this but everyone's an individual so I figured I'd ask. I am new to the track this year. I've done two track days on the stock 1LE rims with supercar 3 tires this year.

I bought a set of used regular 20" SS wheels and put p-zero all seasons on them for street use in the off season.

My instructor at the track told me I should get smaller, lighter wheels for use on the track. He recommended 19" wheels and a track specific tire with "a little more side wall."

Now, I like the stock wheels just fine. In fact, they seem a little too nice for the track. But I am wondering if I just sell my stock 1LE rims and the tires (which have tons of life left) and follow his recommendation. If so, I don't really know how to do that. There are so many millions of options out there I just don't know what to do.

I don't need wider than the stock sizes.
I would be willing to go a bit narrower if it gave me access to more tire options or cheaper tire options.
I want to stay with the staggered setup.
I don't want to spend huge amounts of money on high-end wheels.
I would be happy with "good enough to get the job done and not break"

The stock 1LE rims are complete garbage, absolutely worthless.

I can dispose of them for you if you'd like, just let me know.
Willing to pay shipping.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:39 PM   #7
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Stock
Yup, as always from Sean, this is a good answer. The suspension is designed around the Supercar 3's.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:40 AM   #8
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Yup, as always from Sean, this is a good answer. The suspension is designed around the Supercar 3's.
Ditto this. Also RUQKR provided an excellent response.
The more i track the car on G3s the more i like this tire. It is superbly matched to the car incl stock pads and easy to push to their limit. Having tried Cup2 and RE71R i am back to stay with G3s not only given the price, but also their performance et al.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:42 AM   #9
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
The stock 1LE rims are complete garbage, absolutely worthless.

I can dispose of them for you if you'd like, just let me know.
Willing to pay shipping.

Id be willing to pay shipping AND disposal fee
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:32 PM   #10
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Some of the 'Track Rats' have spoken. If it Ain't Broke....

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote