Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 04-04-2017, 05:51 PM   #15
TrickracenLS3

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Red Hot
I have powder coated many wheels for my customers and not one has come back saying they are chipping or anything like that. Whoever said they aren't durable or chip, probably had them painted and not a true powder coat. You should be able to get a set of 4 done for $400~
Current: 2016 Tahoe LT
Current: 2018 Mini Countryman S
TrickracenLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:15 PM   #16
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Picked my set up today from Advanced Coatings, in Gt Falls, MT. VERY happy with the quality of the work performed. Hoping to get my oem Goodyear's mounted up this week.

I will post some pics when I do.

I tried for a deep grey/gunmetal color, but these are lighter than I hoped. So tough to truly SEE a color from the few HUNDRED, small sample strips ,used to choose a color.

I'm not stressing over it. Have to see how they look when mounted on the car. I think they will look fine, and not show brake dust as badly as well.

NO matter what...A different look than anyone else's hyper blue Camaro in Montana. LOL.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:31 AM   #17
SuperSteveSS

Drives: 2017 ss
has anybody had a wheel failure from the heating process used to cure the powder? Ive had wheels done before but after wanting to get a set of Marchesini motorcycle wheels done, I did some research and heard of some wheels becoming soft and warping easily on motorcycles and cars...
SuperSteveSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:34 PM   #18
jeffnjacki

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Super Steve- don't forget Marchesini moto rims, if on a Ducati, are magnesium. That might be the reason you'd heard of warping. Just a thought.
jeffnjacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:42 PM   #19
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSteveSS View Post
has anybody had a wheel failure from the heating process used to cure the powder? Ive had wheels done before but after wanting to get a set of Marchesini motorcycle wheels done, I did some research and heard of some wheels becoming soft and warping easily on motorcycles and cars...
They bake around 350-400 degrees. Regular aluminum or steel should be perfectly fine. Make sure they prebake your rims before they coat them.

Last edited by drivingagain; 06-23-2017 at 01:55 PM.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:45 PM   #20
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSteveSS View Post
That's the first question I asked one of the premier powdercoater s here in Fort Lauderdale when I was going to have some work done a yr ago..... He said there's not a single good powder coder that bakes that hot that it would mess with wheel integrity. Forgeline powder coats every wheel even their F1 and endurance racers...... That was early days of powder coating now it doesn't have to be as hot as earlier applications......
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:50 PM   #21
Mr Bill

Drives: Camaro 1LE 2017
Where's your pictures Frank 237
Mr Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:41 PM   #22
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
That's the first question I asked one of the premier powdercoater s here in Fort Lauderdale when I was going to have some work done a yr ago..... He said there's not a single good powder coder that bakes that hot that it would mess with wheel integrity. Forgeline powder coats every wheel even their F1 and endurance racers...... That was early days of powder coating now it doesn't have to be as hot as earlier applications......
To expand on Glen's comments regarding Forgeline, Dave Schardt from Forgeline posted this comment on the Porsche forum in regards to the question of powder coating versus painting.

Powder coat if done correctly is a superior finish than paint. It resist chemicals, scratches and chipping far better than paint. If done correctly as well, it does not impact the strength or structure of the wheel. 100% of our racing team customers run powder coated wheels and love the durability and easy clean up of the finish.
On the other side of that, we powder coat all of our product in-house and have complete control of the process. If you take your wheels to a finisher that does not do wheels on a regular basis, then you take your chances. Stick with wheel finishers such as Wheel Medic here in Ohio or Wheels America who has locations all over the country.

Forgeline Motorsports, LLC
3522 S. Kettering Blvd
Dayton Ohio 45439
Old 07-02-2017, 07:44 PM   #23
Frank237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
Where's your pictures Frank 237
I'd LOVE to post them, but Photobucket now wants me to upgrade to a paid membership in order to do 3rd party hosting. Sorry.

Mine came out fine. They seem to be holding up just fine. Brake dust appears to be simply not sticking. I did wax them very well though.

My only caveat.....I wanted a MUCH darker sort of metallic grey. It was very difficult from the 1.5 x 3 inch sample plate. The lighter grey HAS grown on me. And today at the drags I had several guys comment that htey liked the lighter grey....as it was unique. I don't mind it. I'm in the "unique" camp now.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:44 AM   #24
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank237 View Post
I'd LOVE to post them, but Photobucket now wants me to upgrade to a paid membership in order to do 3rd party hosting. Sorry.

Mine came out fine. They seem to be holding up just fine. Brake dust appears to be simply not sticking. I did wax them very well though.

My only caveat.....I wanted a MUCH darker sort of metallic grey. It was very difficult from the 1.5 x 3 inch sample plate. The lighter grey HAS grown on me. And today at the drags I had several guys comment that htey liked the lighter grey....as it was unique. I don't mind it. I'm in the "unique" camp now.
Use Imgur.com instead of Photobucket.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:06 AM   #25
Frank237

Here Ya go, Mr. Bill.

http://imgur.com/a/GVV8e
Old 06-09-2018, 08:05 PM   #26
VADER332

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE / 2014 Ford Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank237 View Post
Just dropped off a set of stock SS wheels to be powder coated. $100 per rim for sandblast and coat. Having them done a dark grey.

When I get them back I'll post some pics. I didn't hassle the shop over a quick turn around. As I don't expect to take my all seasons off until May.
I had a set of M3 wheels powdercoated gloss antracite. Durable finish, no damage when mounting new tires. I am thinking of powdercoating my silver Camaro SS wheels.
Attached Images

VADER332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:17 PM   #27
syntaxx7x

Drives: 2017 2SS Vert Fifty
I have some getting powder coated now.. Will post a pic when I get them back in the next week.. week and a half.
syntaxx7x is offline   Reply With Quote