Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-06-2022, 07:03 AM   #29
Callaway_1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 convertible
I would rather take the incredibly low chance of oil pump failure to have the 17-18 taillights.
I bought an 18 ZL1 and an extended warranty
Callaway_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:43 AM   #30
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Drives: 2018 ZL1 & 2022 Hayabusa
I was looking for a 19 last year, but when my 18 showed up for sale at it's price it was hard to pass on it since I prefer the tails on the 17-18. Car had 4100 miles, purchased from a 70yr old guy and no doubt about it that this guy never drove it hard.

I was definitely concerned about the oil pump thing, but hard to pass up on the price. 9 months later I have 17K and, knock on wood, no oil pump failure.... yet. I still have powertrain warranty for when it happens, if it still hasn't by the time that's done I have extended warranty as well.
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
2022 Suzuki Hayabusa - Brilliant White Pearl & Shocker Yellow Wheels
- +4 Arm, 240 OEM Wheel, Brock's CT (Ti) Exhaust, 1.25" drop, etc...
infinitereality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:45 AM   #31
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway_1 View Post
I would rather take the incredibly low chance of oil pump failure to have the 17-18 taillights.
I bought an 18 ZL1 and an extended warranty
yeah i dont like them either. dont like how they stick out.
Old 04-06-2022, 08:20 AM   #32
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post
You're not wrong on your logic, but you're wrong for "assuming it was shut off immediately" as you put it. Since you're buying used you don't really know if the previous owner shut it down immediately or the circumstances surrounding the failed pump? .....which is why I avoided those model years.

I've worked on Motorcycles for years and once the oil light came on due to starvation you were screwed.
Excellent point. You don't know the history.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:43 AM   #33
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
2018 hear purchased with 2700 miles, now has 22,400 miles, due to these post I watch the oil gauge regularly, nothing out the norm. One year left on warranty then cam, pushrod's oil pump etc.
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:36 AM   #34
semif18

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE White
I don't have any oil pump concerns, not even a thought. My powertrain warranty runs through Mar 2024 so I drive it like I stole it. I think the oil pump issue is overblown, but obviously for those that have had issues it's not, so to each their own. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 2018. If it's that much of a concern then after the warranty runs out buy a new Katech pump.........
semif18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:51 AM   #35
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
Just preemptively install the Katech unit and never look back.
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 12:00 PM   #36
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

I have a question and would like some feedback. I have an aftermarket warranty on my 18 and I also have the GM powertrain warranty until next year.

Say my oil pump takes a crap soon.... Should I claim under the GM powertrain and let the dealership install a new OEM pump? Or should I take it to an indy shop I trust and claim it under my extended warranty ($100 deductible, I believe)? If it's the latter, I know the indy shop good enough that I may be able to just come up with difference in price and let them install the Katech pump instead of OEM.
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
Old 04-06-2022, 12:59 PM   #37
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitereality View Post
I have a question and would like some feedback. I have an aftermarket warranty on my 18 and I also have the GM powertrain warranty until next year.

Say my oil pump takes a crap soon.... Should I claim under the GM powertrain and let the dealership install a new OEM pump? Or should I take it to an indy shop I trust and claim it under my extended warranty ($100 deductible, I believe)? If it's the latter, I know the indy shop good enough that I may be able to just come up with difference in price and let them install the Katech pump instead of OEM.
I wasn't aware that you could have 2 active warranties out on one vehicle.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:51 PM   #38
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE View Post
Just preemptively install the Katech unit and never look back.
STAHP giving money to Katech. They're absolutely trying to take advantage of the situation.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:11 AM   #39
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I wouldn't say "when" because if it was that drastic then GM would have had to do a recall. My oil pump has been running strong since I got my car brand new back in April of 2017. I have about 32K miles on it. But then again I followed proper break-in procedure and I don't beat on my car. There are plenty of 17s and 18s out there that have likewise not had this issue.

Although we may never know the full answer, I wonder how many of these with issues were owned by people who really beat on their car and figured they were just gonna trade it in or ditch it at some point so it didn't matter to them. I mean, my goal from the start was always to keep mine forever. So I treated it as such. No burnouts no hanging off the rev limiter no 4K RPM drops at the track no constant WOT runs etc. I wonder how much of this has a part. Because not for nothing, but when the 17s and 18s came out, there sure were a lot of videos on FB and YT and IG of people buying these cars brand new and roasting the tires right there on the dealership lot or at home with like 17 miles on the clock. It's diminished a lot since then. All of these may be factors. Because I and several others I know who have treated our ZL1s like we planned to keep them never had these issues.
Isn't that the point of these cars? Kinda negates all the work GM put in to make it their most track worthy car available if you're not putting it through its paces on a road course or drag strip.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:37 AM   #40
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Some of us owners don’t want to race and tear up our ZL1s, Puddin! It costs more money to repair or replace the car and just because the engineers designed these for track use doesn’t mean I want or intend to drive mine like that. I really enjoy owning a supercharged Camaro that I could afford at this point in my life and want to hang on to it for a few more years.
Old 04-07-2022, 09:00 AM   #41
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I wasn't aware that you could have 2 active warranties out on one vehicle.
Sorry I should have clarified, I currently have only the GM powertrain. And I also have an aftermarket warranty as well when I bought the car, so if pump dies I believe I could go either way with getting it fixed.
Old 04-07-2022, 09:05 AM   #42
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Some of us owners don’t want to race and tear up our ZL1s, Puddin! It costs more money to repair or replace the car and just because the engineers designed these for track use doesn’t mean I want or intend to drive mine like that. I really enjoy owning a supercharged Camaro that I could afford at this point in my life and want to hang on to it for a few more years.
I respect that. Just be aware that nothing damages a car more than having it sit. Driving it regularly at the very minimum is the best guarantee for longevity.

I'll most likely continue to thrash mine and order a brand new one for its final production year (2024).
NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote