Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-17-2021, 02:02 AM   #15
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCC View Post
Hey Bumbleboy, I was thinking about shelling out for the full spectrum lighting kit, but after reading Hyper1SS's post on that and seeing how much work it takes, I'm liking your solution a lot!

I already bough some used 2LT interior door panels for my 1LT with the hardware for the lights to go behind, so I will have the proper "boomerangs" on the doors to run the new LED wires.

Curious if you're still happy with how yours worked out and do you have any tips how you did it?

I've found some LED wires online, but wondering which one you used and if you were happy them still.

And, I'm assuming you did separate feeds for each door, plus the cup holder, then joined them all together with the footwell lighting power source?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
Hey, I definitely like how I did them. Still have full control and the two tone that’s in the 2019+ models.

Tips I’d say is get the car in the garage and pick some nice weather days to do install. I bought these 2 kits but only used 3 from one and 2 from the other in the end

https://imgur.com/a/WYP492G

I chose these lights for the iOS app compatibility, the app dev still issues updates so looking good for the future still.

For the wiring I tapped the cigarette lighters positive and negative and attached both power plugs for each unit to that one point. Turns on with the car and runs in accessory, the moment I open the door after turning off engine it cuts the power.

For one light module, I simply cut the center console light tube and put the eBay light one over it as it is an almost perfect fit, it had a tightening screw on it so it doesn’t come undone. Then I took 2 of the LED wires and routed under console, one through driver and the other through passenger underfoot area. Did the same for the other module and it’s 2 LED wire’s. I opened the door and disconnected the door-body harness.

This is where the fun starts;

I cut each wire I routed through each door (4 total LED wires), each wire had POS,NEG,R,G,B (5 total wires per LED). I routed each individual wire through the door-body harness as the wire itself was too big (20 individual wires routed, 10 per each door).

I then attached each wire on the door side, removing the door panel first then taking the black plastic held on with sticky glue slightly off to reach the wires routed. This is where I reattached the wires to their LED bulb (I cut them a few inches to have wire to connect to). To attach them I took out the spectrum lighting chips and hot glued the LED’s in place.

Now to what I’d have done different, use a soldering iron and heat shrink. - I used electrical tape as I never used a soldering iron before and it is a mistake. Have had multiple lights stop working because the tape got loose.

When connecting the LED’s, don’t use hot glue. Just cut them and screw them over the exposed light tube like I did the center console light. Like Gen6Trek’s thread, he cut the tube and slide over his lights. I’d ensure there’s a screw holding it in.

Something I’d wish I’d done at the time, which I’m wanting to now is the footwell lighting. You can have another 2 leads routed to the underneath area and have them attached to a LED with a diffuser for footwell lighting. If you don’t want RGB then it’s just a simple bulb connector and LED held in place.

My biggest regret in this though was not cutting the light tube ends to attach the lights to, my left door has no lights because they fell loose and I don’t have the time right now to open it all back up.

Also if you have the 8” radio, you can route 2 additional LED wires and do the same to them. I walked through a Facebook group member and he successfully did it

https://imgur.com/a/P9LnEM0

Good luck!
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:29 AM   #16
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
This is a very nice job, Bumbleboy, congrats. Very interesting, too.

I've been toying with the idea of adding more LED tubing to my 2SS across the dash to have a bit better continuity from the radio to the door cards, but the priority of this mod is close to negative infinity, not sure when I'll have the time for it.

However, I did do the GM footwell lighting and it definitely adds some extra ambience.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:45 PM   #17
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
This is a very nice job, Bumbleboy, congrats. Very interesting, too.

I've been toying with the idea of adding more LED tubing to my 2SS across the dash to have a bit better continuity from the radio to the door cards, but the priority of this mod is close to negative infinity, not sure when I'll have the time for it.

However, I did do the GM footwell lighting and it definitely adds some extra ambience.
It’s definitely something you have to really want to do, there were many times I wanted to close the panel and never open it again. Part of the reason I haven’t been able to fix some of my mistakes with it, I know it’s gonna be a pain to do lol
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:03 PM   #18
IanCC

Drives: Summit White V6 M6 NPP
Thank you for this! I really appreciate you taking the time to reply in detail. I'm really looking forward to doing it, as it's such an elegant solution versus going through the dealer for close to a grand. Again, much appreciated Bumble Boy.

Last edited by IanCC; 01-21-2021 at 08:04 PM. Reason: to quote original text
IanCC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2ss, ambient, door panels, lighting, rgb