Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-02-2023, 04:34 PM   #1
MrDemon

Drives: 23 Camaro ZL1
Another stolen ZL1

Hey everyone just wanted to warn everyone that thieves can and will steal your car in under a minute. Mine was stolen from in front of my house, no alarm, no noise nothing. They immediately disabled onstar and after 2 days onstar gave up looking. So be careful everyone, my next car will definitely have a separate tracker that’s hidden.

Additional context: I don’t have a driveway so it was parked right in front with a camera watching it, didn’t matter. I believe it was targeted

Last edited by MrDemon; 09-02-2023 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Adding more context
MrDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 04:44 PM   #2
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
That’s awful to hear. I’d have a kill switch installed instead of another tracker. They wouldn’t have the time to figure out where it was.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 05:38 PM   #3
SwL_Wildcat

Drives: 2024 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
That’s awful to hear. I’d have a kill switch installed instead of another tracker. They wouldn’t have the time to figure out where it was.

A tow truck with a wheel lift can snag it in a few seconds and the kill switch won't help if that happens. I have Cloudhawk trackers in all my vehicles. No external antenna, no RFID, they send location to the server every minute, very easy to hide. They use a 12 volt power supply to keep the battery topped up. In the event of power loss the internal battery is good for a few weeks.

OP sorry to hear about your car. Hopefully it is recovered undamaged.
SwL_Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 05:40 PM   #4
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Did you see how they did it on the camera?

Could be a relay attack
https://leasing.com/guides/relay-car...-you-avoid-it/
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 05:52 PM   #5
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
would the key fob in a Faraday pouch prevent this ?
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 06:14 PM   #6
Allez

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302crossram View Post
would the key fob in a Faraday pouch prevent this ?
If it was a relay attack, then yes. I have a few cars parked outside, so I have a Faraday box that I keep the fobs in.
Old 09-02-2023, 06:38 PM   #7
MrDemon

Drives: 23 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
If it was a relay attack, then yes. I have a few cars parked outside, so I have a Faraday box that I keep the fobs in.
I bought one now to protect the other cars. The worst part is the camera didn’t catch anything, no lotion was triggered for it to record only a picture of the guy next to it then it was gone
MrDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 06:41 PM   #8
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
mine is parked in the garage every night and I still pouch the key fob
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 07:46 PM   #9
Mike818

Drives: 5.0 Fox, Lancer Evos (8,X),23 ZLE?
There is a way to turn off the proximity unlocking from the remote. It's in the owners manual.
Mike818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 07:47 PM   #10
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Sorry to read your ZL1 was stolen. Was it an auto or manual?
Old 09-02-2023, 07:58 PM   #11
Allez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike818 View Post
There is a way to turn off the proximity unlocking from the remote. It's in the owners manual.
Relay attacks are different than proximity unlocking. Proximity unlocking automatically unlocks the doors when you are close.

Whether proximity unlocking is enabled or not, your car senses when your fob is close; that is how it knows whether to unlock your car or not when you press the button on the door handle. That's also how your car knows whether to start when you hit the start button. The relay attack amplifies the signal always emitted by your fob (that tells your car if the fob is close). The amplified signal is used to make your car think the fob is close, so it is OK to unlock the door and start the car.
Old 09-02-2023, 08:00 PM   #12
Mike818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
Relay attacks are different than proximity unlocking. Proximity unlocking automatically unlocks the doors when you are close.

Whether proximity unlocking is enabled or not, your car senses when your fob is close; that is how it knows whether to unlock your car or not when you press the button on the door handle. That's also how your car knows whether to start when you hit the start button. The relay attack amplifies the signal always emitted by your fob (that tells your car if the fob is close). The amplified signal is used to make your car think the fob is close, so it is OK to unlock the door and start the car.
Like I said, you can disable proximity unlock. So that only a button press from the FOB will unlock and disarm the car. The relay attack works by making the car think the key fob is next to it. Which won't matter if you disable proximity unlock.

I'm not talking about the car automatically unlocking itself, that is a function of proximity unlock though. Maybe I'm using the wrong lingo, it's been a while since i read about this. What I am describing disables the whole proximity system part of the key fob. You can read about it in the manual, try it out for yourself, don't take my word for it.
Old 09-02-2023, 08:06 PM   #13
Mike818

Here we go:
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2023, 08:28 PM   #14
Allez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike818 View Post
Here we go:
Thanks, you are right - I was thinking of something else. Looks that would protect you from unlocking the doors through a relay attack, albeit with the inconvenience of needing to hit a button on your fob every time you want to lock or unlock your car.