Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-30-2023, 10:19 PM   #1
bass567

Drives: 2023 2SS Shadow Grey A10 Mag NPP
The wait is over

Yesterday I finally brought home the 2SS I have been waiting for nearly 3 months.

Here is the timeline:
I contacted the dealer over email on May 9th, he happened to have an allocation ready for me in an hour (do not ask, I still think is must have been magic). It was picked up by GM the same week.

The car was built the first week of June, almost exactly one month later, and he called me this past Tuesday to arrange the delivery.

So the total of 81 days from the initial contact with the dealership to the delivery.

It is a 2SS with A10, mag ride, Recaros, and NPP. Nothing else. Oh yes, the wheel locks.

The dealership is 300 miles from my house. I drove back -- 95% on the interstate, never over 80 mph, mostly 65-75 in the tour mode. The car showed me 30.1 mpg upon arrival, which I was a bit surprised by. I guess the V-4 mode did its trick.

It drives great, I am very happy with the Recaros, super comfortable, great feedback from the slightest car move, they feel like they were molded to my back and the rear.

The bad surprise was a good amount of the break dust on the wheels -- especially in the front. Yes, I have the silver wheels so they show every dark speck, I get it. Bit I have never seen so much break dust from such a short ride. Is this common? Should this continue at this rate, I am thinking about swapping out the brake pads for something cleaner. The Powerstop rotors and pads that I installed on my Grand Cherokee a year ago produce zero dust and I have been driving it much more aggressively than this 2SS on its maiden voyage.

Any opinions and suggestions for a fix/replacement would be much welcomed. Or will it just get better on its own after the break-in?

[SOLVED]: If someone tells me how to rotate the posted pictures to the proper position, that would be helpful. No matter what I do the picture is displayed sideways. [Thank you, Trochoidal!]
Attached Images

Last edited by bass567; 07-30-2023 at 10:49 PM.
bass567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 10:38 PM   #2
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Congrats! You had a nice ride home.

I just save the pictures after they post wrong, rotate, preview and repost.
Attached Images

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 11:05 PM   #3
GenericID10T

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2SS/2020 RAM 1500 Rebel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass567 View Post

Yesterday I finally brought home the 2SS I have been waiting for nearly 3 months.

Here is the timeline:
I contacted the dealer over email on May 9th, he happened to have an allocation ready for me in an hour (do not ask, I still think is must have been magic). It was picked up by GM the same week.

The car was built the first week of June, almost exactly one month later, and he called me this past Tuesday to arrange the delivery.

So the total of 81 days from the initial contact with the dealership to the delivery.

It is a 2SS with A10, mag ride, Recaros, and NPP. Nothing else. Oh yes, the wheel locks.

The dealership is 300 miles from my house. I drove back -- 95% on the interstate, never over 80 mph, mostly 65-75 in the tour mode. The car showed me 30.1 mpg upon arrival, which I was a bit surprised by. I guess the V-4 mode did its trick.

It drives great, I am very happy with the Recaros, super comfortable, great feedback from the slightest car move, they feel like they were molded to my back and the rear.

The bad surprise was a good amount of the break dust on the wheels -- especially in the front. Yes, I have the silver wheels so they show every dark speck, I get it. Bit I have never seen so much break dust from such a short ride. Is this common? Should this continue at this rate, I am thinking about swapping out the brake pads for something cleaner. The Powerstop rotors and pads that I installed on my Grand Cherokee a year ago produce zero dust and I have been driving it much more aggressively than this 2SS on its maiden voyage.

Any opinions and suggestions for a fix/replacement would be much welcomed. Or will it just get better on its own after the break-in?

[SOLVED]: If someone tells me how to rotate the posted pictures to the proper position, that would be helpful. No matter what I do the picture is displayed sideways. [Thank you, Trochoidal!]
I just got mine on Friday and I have the same wheels - brake dust all over them!

Also doing a long drive back home, and following the same precautions you are. Currently averaging 28mpg, so I am thrilled - much better than I was expecting. Congrats on your new ride!
GenericID10T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 12:00 AM   #4
Seventh Camaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

Here is the timeline:

Yep, the factory Brembo pads create a lot of dust. Lots of information in the forums, that's one of the first things I did was change pads. Many use the Power Stop ceramic metallic, or Hawk Ceramic Metallic. I have used both, in my opinion, I think the Power Stop pads had the least dust, but I couldn't get rid of some break squeal, so I switched to Hawk which have been great. Many options to chose from other than those two to make a big difference in the amount of dust.
Seventh Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 12:08 AM   #5
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Congrats!!!

I have nearly the same car, same color, but a 2020 2SS but I did A10, Mag Ride, NPP, Red Calipers, Carbon Flash Wheels an foot well lighting, everything else I did after delivery (Black Lugs, LED Side Markers, SS center caps, SS Arm Rest, Smokers Rear Reflectors, etc...)

Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 05:12 AM   #6
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh Camaro View Post
Yep, the factory Brembo pads create a lot of dust. Lots of information in the forums, that's one of the first things I did was change pads. Many use the Power Stop ceramic metallic, or Hawk Ceramic Metallic. I have used both, in my opinion, I think the Power Stop pads had the least dust, but I couldn't get rid of some break squeal, so I switched to Hawk which have been great. Many options to chose from other than those two to make a big difference in the amount of dust.
^
This but I have no squeal issue with powerstop, and they are a lot better for dust but a little less bite than stock pads.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 09:00 AM   #7
bass567

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Congrats!!!

I have nearly the same car, same color, but a 2020 2SS but I did A10, Mag Ride, NPP, Red Calipers, Carbon Flash Wheels an foot well lighting, everything else I did after delivery (Black Lugs, LED Side Markers, SS center caps, SS Arm Rest, Smokers Rear Reflectors, etc...)

These are poster-quality pictures, really super nice.
Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-31-2023, 09:59 PM   #8
fj5gtx

Drives: 70 GTX, 06 Mustang, 22 Camaro LT1
Quote:

...The bad surprise was a good amount of the break dust on the wheels -- especially in the front...
I had the same problem on my black wheels. It took a while to get the right pads, and by the time that happened the dust wasn't a problem anymore. Patience will pay off. I've got a set of new pads on the shelf when these wear down.
Old 08-02-2023, 11:36 AM   #9
bass567

So you say it gets better over time?

I'm just thinking why would that be? Isn't the pad material actually the same across its thickness?

Is there something like an outer layer that wears out and then there is less material loss later and we can expect less dust when the pads break in?

I'd hate to throw away the barely used Brembo pads, I'd like to think that there is a reason why the plant puts these pads on this specific model (unless they all use the same compound, which I doubt).

But honestly I'm surprised to see this much dust on the rim after a few hundred miles in mostly highway driving with relatively minimal braking. It looks like chimney soot on the rims. Maybe they wear off and get better, I guess I'm not getting the replacement set yet...

2023 2SS Shadow Grey A10 Mag Recaro NPP

Last edited by bass567; 08-02-2023 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-29-2023, 10:57 AM   #10
fj5gtx

Drives: 70 GTX, 06 Mustang, 22 Camaro LT1
Quote:

I'm just thinking why would that be? Isn't the pad material actually the same across its thickness? .....
Yes, the problem completely went away with wear/time. Can't say what is the cause, I thought maybe they have the rotor treated so they don't rot on the lot.
Old 09-29-2023, 11:38 AM   #11
riversidess1le

Drives: 2024 1SS 1LE 10/30 TPW
Ceramic coating your wheels and calipers make it super easy to clean them off!

Quote:

I'm just thinking why would that be? Isn't the pad material actually the same across its thickness?

Is there something like an outer layer that wears out and then there is less material loss later and we can expect less dust when the pads break in?

I'd hate to throw away the barely used Brembo pads, I'd like to think that there is a reason why the plant puts these pads on this specific model (unless they all use the same compound, which I doubt).

But honestly I'm surprised to see this much dust on the rim after a few hundred miles in mostly highway driving with relatively minimal braking. It looks like chimney soot on the rims. Maybe they wear off and get better, I guess I'm not getting the replacement set yet...

2023 2SS Shadow Grey A10 Mag Recaro NPP
riversidess1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 01:49 PM   #12
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
After you clean them up, spray Outlast brake dust repellent by Armor on the wheels. Makes for an easier clean.
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 02:38 PM   #13
DamonZ28

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I have an AFM disabler, and I really think I get about the same mileage with or without. I got 30 mpg from southern WI to I'Hare a couple of months ago, averaging about 82 mph. I'll be making a 500 mile trip this weekend, and plan to track the mileage to see what I get. I might even try half the trip with the disabler, and half without.
RUXIFEY Smoked LED Side Marker Lights / Black SS emblem on rear bumper / Blue SS vinyl overlay on front bumper emblem / Wildhammer Rear Dark Reflectors / Trim Illusion Gloss Black Door Handle Covers / eBay Black Fuel Door / Screaming Chicken Fender Hash Marks / Color-Matched G2 Caliper Paint
RE Audio RFX10D4 10" Sub / Hand-made sub enclosure / Hifonics Zeus ZRX1200.1D amp / JL Audio LoC-22 line output converter / Sub Thump Plug N Play T-Harness With ANC Defeat Harness Kit

My Camaro Journal
DamonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote