Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-16-2024, 10:53 AM   #29
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Just test drove the GT350. The one I drove wound up being a little rough around the edges aesthetically so I didn’t do anything drastic and trade my 1le on it.

Engine: the sound wasn’t as intoxicating as I thought it would be. I personally think the modular 4 valve motors in the s197 GT500’s sound way better. In regards to the engine being gutless down low, it is however it revs up fast so it doesn’t really matter aside from a fun standpoint. When racing/on track we are always in the upper rpm anyway and it definitely pulls harder than the LT1, as it should due to having 70ish more Hp.

Handling: didn’t get to test much of it because of where I live but when I went to dodge a pot hole it seemed to have as good of if not better turn in than my 1le. It was only on pilot sport 4s’s. Ride comfort was there as well in tour mode or whatever it was called in the mustang. Front tire size is a 295 which I did not know.

Braking: my favorite thing about the car was the brakes. Immediate bite versus having to go into the pedal more in the 1le. I get why Chevy did this as they wanted us to have a more linear pedal but I strongly prefer the brakes in the gt350. Having immediate bite is more fun on the street imho.

Exhaust:it honestly seemed equally as loud in loud mode inside the car. Outside though it is definitely louder at idle than our cars.

Trans/clutch/Shifter: the 3160 had quite a different feel than the 6060. I don’t mean this in a good or bad way. It felt very different. Can’t quite pick which one I like better as I think they are both great. I struggled getting acclimated to the clutch but it could just be me not being used to it. I generally have an easier time getting used to clutches but I think I had the same issue with our clutches as well. I’m sure over time I would have gotten used to it just like I’m used to the LT1 clutch.

Recaro’s: LOVED them but I am a small dude haha. This makes finding one impossible. I really want a 19+ Gen 2 voodoo but finding one of the newer ones with Recaros is harder than finding a manual zl1 (which is harder than you think).

Overall I definitely like the 350’s and feel they have more of a presence than our cars. Probably because the bumper and fenders are different. Will go beat on my 1le a little more before getting more committed to selling. I am wondering if the 93 I put in it the last 2 times wasn’t 93…

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 11:51 AM   #30
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
Just test drove the GT350. The one I drove wound up being a little rough around the edges aesthetically so I didn’t do anything drastic and trade my 1le on it.

Recaro’s: LOVED them but I am a small dude haha. This makes finding one impossible. I really want a 19+ Gen 2 voodoo but finding one of the newer ones with Recaros is harder than finding a manual zl1 (which is harder than you think).
Yeah, the Recaros in the GT350 are very narrow, especially on the bottom. The front sides were jammed against my thighs when I sat in them. I'm a bigger guy though. Try finding a ZL1 with a manual and no sunroof. That's even harder. Took me months of looking to find mine after not being able to get a 24 allocation.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 12:28 PM   #31
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Thanks for providing feedback on the GT350 you drove.
Old 03-16-2024, 03:04 PM   #32
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
PTM keeps traction control turned on to varying degrees, with RACE being the least restricted (Dry> Sport 1 = Sport 2 > Race). And yah, if your interest is only straight line speed/fun, then the 1LE is not the best choice.

If you want to spin the rear wheels more easily in the 1LE, either turn-off the traction control (which effectively will render the car "all nannies off") or put it in competitive mode (traction control will be completely off, but stability will remain on in the less aggressive setting).

And having the suspension in Tour mode will allow some more weight transfer and should increase the sensation of acceleration. Of course, I think competitive mode can only be accessed in Sport Mode, so you'd need to set the suspension to Tour using the electronic menu selection in the center stack.
N Camarolina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 06:33 PM   #33
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPirate View Post
Yeah, the Recaros in the GT350 are very narrow, especially on the bottom. The front sides were jammed against my thighs when I sat in them. I'm a bigger guy though. Try finding a ZL1 with a manual and no sunroof. That's even harder. Took me months of looking to find mine after not being able to get a 24 allocation.
Since I've been following *VERY* closely I can add the following info as of this week...

There's probably 7-10 late model ZL1 non-1LE (just looking at 22/23/24) out there if you don't want black or white. If you include those two colors, I think there's ~20 cars. Probably a 70/30 split without / with sunroofs on the M6 coupes.

There's one red hot one, and *WAS* one Wild Cherry Tintcoat...

But I'll post more on that another time...

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 06:51 PM   #34
m6-lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
PTM keeps traction control turned on to varying degrees, with RACE being the least restricted (Dry> Sport 1 = Sport 2 > Race). And yah, if your interest is only straight line speed/fun, then the 1LE is not the best choice.

If you want to spin the rear wheels more easily in the 1LE, either turn-off the traction control (which effectively will render the car "all nannies off") or put it in competitive mode (traction control will be completely off, but stability will remain on in the less aggressive setting).

And having the suspension in Tour mode will allow some more weight transfer and should increase the sensation of acceleration. Of course, I think competitive mode can only be accessed in Sport Mode, so you'd need to set the suspension to Tour using the electronic menu selection in the center stack.
I also tried turning traction control completely off. I can only get it to spin if I floor it right at the rpm where the LT1 makes peak torque. I was in tour mode. While i didn’t go wot during break in, the engine seemed to feel more peppy versus after break in. I am starting to wonder if the 93 octane I put in the car the last 2 times wasnt actually 93 octane because the 1le, at least right now genuinely feels less fast. Idk maybe I just got to the point where I am very used to it now or the car for some reason is on the 87 octane map. I just feel with all season tires and 455 torque it should be able to spin the tires in first easily. My SS with 1le wheels and tires would spin in first way more easily.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
Old 03-16-2024, 07:23 PM   #35
ZPirate

Speaking of the Recaros in the GT350, I forgot until I was looking back through this thread today about Jay Leno's GT350R. The R only comes with the Recaros. The first thing Jay did when he got his car was to ditch the Recaros for the standard GT350 seats. He said when he reviewed the car he didn't fit in the Recaros.
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
Old 03-17-2024, 01:45 AM   #36
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
Makes sense that the 1LE feels slower than the SS.
When I got the 275's tires for my LT1, it felt more civilized. The 245's run flat are dangerous with the V8. I could make it loose traction in 4th gear in the rain. (A10)

The GT350 is great, but they're all used now, beaten up, and that engine has Nicasil as cylinder liners. Anything happens and you need a new block.

Don't discard a new 24' Gt performance package. With a tune the coyote revs 8k and they're are fairly priced in the 40k range.
That's a pretty good deal to have a brand new M6 car that revs 8k whithout breaking the bank.
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 07:45 AM   #37
CTRifecta

Drives: 2SS 1LE
if seriously considering the gt350, look at the MY19+ cars, as i believe they got some revisions to the motor that make them more reliable.
Vehicle Built (per chevy chat bot) - 10/10/23
Window sticker available online - 11/4/23
Arrived at dealership - 11/10/23
CTRifecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 07:52 AM   #38
ZPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamero6 View Post
When I got the 275's tires for my LT1, it felt more civilized. The 245's run flat are dangerous with the V8. I could make it loose traction in 4th gear in the rain. (A10)

The GT350 is great, but they're all used now, beaten up, and that engine has Nicasil as cylinder liners. Anything happens and you need a new block.

Don't discard a new 24' Gt performance package. With a tune the coyote revs 8k and they're are fairly priced in the 40k range.
That's a pretty good deal to have a brand new M6 car that revs 8k whithout breaking the bank.
Good points. The 1LE has massive tire sizes compared to either the LT1 or the SS. And the stock Goodyear's are sticky except in the cold or the wet. I recall that OP has PS4S tires which aren't quite as sticky, but certainly better in the wet and in cooler temperatures than the Goodyear's.

Yeah, at this point all GT350s are going to be at least 4 model years old. The last one I looked at while cruising a dealership lot was a 2017 and it was still priced in the 40s with 30,000 miles on it.

Once all the new Camaros are gone, which won't be long, the Mustang is going to be the only new V8 choice available. Personally I think Mustangs are overpriced and everything seems to be an option, but you could possibly find one with the GT Performance package in the 40s. However, the only manual transmission available in the GT is a Getrag. The Tremec only comes in the Dark Horse. It also did previously come in the Mach 1 and of course in the GT350, but neither of those cars are based on the new S650.
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
Old 03-17-2024, 10:38 AM   #39
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
The 500hp Darkhorse only matches the SS 1LE for power to weight ratio. It has a little more power....but it's carrying more pork too. Ford HAS gotten more serious finally, with that car, the Mach 1, etc., but it's taken a while and you really have to watch out that they didn't handicap it in some stupid way, like cooling, suspension, etc. But again, they seem to be turning them up a bit over the last 5 years...maybe as the C8 has gotten around more and it's apparent that the 1-chassis Ford team needs to do something, but it's such a small market too, so it's nice to have some kind of competition.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 11:58 AM   #40
m6-lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRifecta View Post
if seriously considering the gt350, look at the MY19+ cars, as i believe they got some revisions to the motor that make them more reliable.
Yep, only getting a 19+. It's just really hard finding one with Recaro's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPirate View Post
Good points. The 1LE has massive tire sizes compared to either the LT1 or the SS. And the stock Goodyear's are sticky except in the cold or the wet. I recall that OP has PS4S tires which aren't quite as sticky, but certainly better in the wet and in cooler temperatures than the Goodyear's.
The PS4s was on the GT350 I test drove. I have continental DWS06+ on right now. I actually have two sets of OE wheels, one with AS tires and one with the OE tires. The reason I have 2 sets is because I had the one set on my prior SS. That car would spin the OEM SS 1le wheels w Supercar 3's in 1st from a roll. I know I've mentioned spinning the tires a bunch but my biggest concern with the car is that it pushes me back in my seat on highway pulls less than I feel my standard SS did. I think because of what N Camarolina pointed out earlier in the thread. I just can't go backwards in acceleration feel even if it's technically still accelerating at the same rate. If it feels slow then I can't keep the car.

I know it will be brilliant around track and since I'm a novice it will be more enjoyable than the zl1 on track but I can afford to pay for 3-5 track days per year (I actually purchase the insurance so it literally costs me double to track my car versus folks who risk it).

Quote:

Considered it but at this point I have a vendetta against buying brand new cars as if I for any reason want/need to get rid of the car, the loss is too substantial to do so. I also despise the interior of the new Mustang (and a lot of other cars that just mount Ipads and call it an interior). You can throw a whipple on the gen iV coyote and run 9's all day. Curr mentioned oil pump gears and crank sprocket but that only tends to break if you are bouncing off the rev limiter which I am not that person. It's also cheaper to prevent those from breaking than it is to do a cam swap in our cars to prevent the lifters from taking a dump.

If I was mechanically inclined and could build engines, I would just throw a cam plus supporting mods in my 1le and screw the warranty because it's not super expensive finding a used engine or parts.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
Old 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM   #41
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
Yep, only getting a 19+. It's just really hard finding one with Recaro's.

The PS4s was on the GT350 I test drove. I have continental DWS06+ on right now. I actually have two sets of OE wheels, one with AS tires and one with the OE tires. The reason I have 2 sets is because I had the one set on my prior SS. That car would spin the OEM SS 1le wheels w Supercar 3's in 1st from a roll. I know I've mentioned spinning the tires a bunch but my biggest concern with the car is that it pushes me back in my seat on highway pulls less than I feel my standard SS did. I think because of what N Camarolina pointed out earlier in the thread. I just can't go backwards in acceleration feel even if it's technically still accelerating at the same rate. If it feels slow then I can't keep the car.

I know it will be brilliant around track and since I'm a novice it will be more enjoyable than the zl1 on track but I can afford to pay for 3-5 track days per year (I actually purchase the insurance so it literally costs me double to track my car versus folks who risk it).

Considered it but at this point I have a vendetta against buying brand new cars as if I for any reason want/need to get rid of the car, the loss is too substantial to do so. I also despise the interior of the new Mustang (and a lot of other cars that just mount Ipads and call it an interior). You can throw a whipple on the gen iV coyote and run 9's all day. Curr mentioned oil pump gears and crank sprocket but that only tends to break if you are bouncing off the rev limiter which I am not that person. It's also cheaper to prevent those from breaking than it is to do a cam swap in our cars to prevent the lifters from taking a dump.

If I was mechanically inclined and could build engines, I would just throw a cam plus supporting mods in my 1le and screw the warranty because it's not super expensive finding a used engine or parts.
I agree the new mustang its kind of a weird thing. Those screens and the digital gauges are not really a "muscle car" thing. Looks like someting pulled off a Kia.

I would like to mod mine also, I have the knowlodge and tools but life and priorities get in the way. I already wrenched a lot anyway and 455hp is enough. I might get a ghost cam
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:32 AM   #42
TooleyOnDeck
Tooley

Drives: '18 2SS 1LE
heads/cam your 1LE and you'll forget the GT350 exists...

2015 Camaro 1SS/RS | Black | FBO, Tuned (SOLD)
TooleyOnDeck is offline   Reply With Quote