Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-24-2020, 07:29 PM   #1
Thill444

Drives: 2020 SS1LE Shadow Gray Metallic
GT350 to SS1LE?

Anyone here make the switch? Used GT350 prices have skyrocketed and I am working on a deal now on an SS1LE that is hard to pass up. I am driving a lot less now (won’t be back to the office until sometime next year). Caveat I like the GT350. But I previously had a 16 C7 Z51 with Magride and test drove a 2SS with magnetic ride and 1LE suspension (not 1LE package) and really irked it. In fact I actually preferred it to my C7. I miss some of the low end torque of the LT1 and I really like the 2020 front and rear end.

Would love to hear from anyone who has made the switch. Pros and cons. I’m a little mixed and will be test driving one soon.
Thill444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:39 PM   #2
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
I have not but one thing to consider will be the low end torque of one vs high end power of the other. I kind of thought the opposite about the gt350 market. I remember seeing a used one here listed for months. I think it was listed in the low $50k.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:17 AM   #3
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Not a 350 but I did come to the 1LE from a 15 GT/Perf Pack with about 1K in Steeda parts under the rear and most notably is the low end torque of the LT1. You can wind out a Coyote and get the LT1 on the very top end if you have enough room. Of course I can't say about the 350's power but I'd expect it to be similar to a standard Coyote in the HP and Tq curve/RPM etc etc
There's a huge price difference for the Shelby and 1LE that's for sure.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:50 AM   #4
Thill444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
I have not but one thing to consider will be the low end torque of one vs high end power of the other. I kind of thought the opposite about the gt350 market. I remember seeing a used one here listed for months. I think it was listed in the low $50k.
The GT350 market has skyrocketed in the past couple months. The trade-in value for my car was $37-42K in May. Yesterday it was $43-49K. GM dealer is offering close to the top end of trade-in and I will literally just about break even vs what I paid when I bought the car (used last year).

I got a good deal on my car when I bought it.

To your point on low end torque vs high end power that's very valid. It's the thing that I both love and hate about the Voodoo. The Voodoo motor is very special for sure and I love the sound. But I don't drive freeway's hardly ever. It is all backroads and country highway type driving and it's very difficult to stretch the legs of the Voodoo unless you really don't mind going way over the speed limit all the time. Below 5500rpm the Voodoo is not that special. Above 5500rpm and all the way to 8200rpm is where the magic happens and the motor transforms itself. I had plans to track the car several times this summer but Covid affected that.

Compared to the previous C7 I owned, the LT1 is probably a better daily driver for my situation. More low end torque. I really enjoyed the 2SS I drove (magride) several years ago and as I mentioned in some ways I preferred it to my C7 at the time. The grearbox was way better. Not as much tramlining.

So I am going to give an SS1LE a test drive and see. My ultimate goal is to have a C8 but I refuse to buy a brand new and GM is still working out kinks. I think 2-3 years and if a GS model is announced, that would be my perfect car (except for no manual).

Will report back after the test drive.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:41 AM   #5
gmcvt

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
I had an 18 5.0 and while torque in the coyote's lower rpm's is pretty darn decent for its displacement and it sounded sweet at 7500, it still didn't match the low intensity, low effort torque of the LT1. The Voodoo has even less torque down low than the coyote but a sweeter top end. IMHO, you are very smart to acknowledge what your driving style/conditions are on a daily basis. I LOVE the GT350 in so many ways but on a day in/day out basis, your not screeming to 8250 regularly.

There is something to be said for having an engine that can put a smile on your face at 40% throttle at lower rpms. That isn't a knock on the voodoo/gt350, its just engineered operational characteristics. And everyone is different, so if low rpm torque doesn't do it for you, then by all means, look at the GT350. But the sad reality for me is the aggressive tramlining and reduced low rpm torque, just doesn't make sense in the real world mundane daily drive.
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*

Last edited by gmcvt; 08-25-2020 at 09:53 AM.
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:12 PM   #6
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
There's a few guys that post on this forum who have made the switch and seem very pleased with their choice. There might be some threads on this topic in different sections of the forum if you look around, or they might post here with some points of reference soon.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:33 PM   #7
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
This is a great thread for you OP.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ighlight=gt350
Old 08-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #8
gmcvt

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thill444 View Post
The GT350 market has skyrocketed in the past couple months. The trade-in value for my car was $37-42K in May. Yesterday it was $43-49K. GM dealer is offering close to the top end of trade-in and I will literally just about break even vs what I paid when I bought the car (used last year).

I got a good deal on my car when I bought it.

To your point on low end torque vs high end power that's very valid. It's the thing that I both love and hate about the Voodoo. The Voodoo motor is very special for sure and I love the sound. But I don't drive freeway's hardly ever. It is all backroads and country highway type driving and it's very difficult to stretch the legs of the Voodoo unless you really don't mind going way over the speed limit all the time. Below 5500rpm the Voodoo is not that special. Above 5500rpm and all the way to 8200rpm is where the magic happens and the motor transforms itself. I had plans to track the car several times this summer but Covid affected that.

Compared to the previous C7 I owned, the LT1 is probably a better daily driver for my situation. More low end torque. I really enjoyed the 2SS I drove (magride) several years ago and as I mentioned in some ways I preferred it to my C7 at the time. The grearbox was way better. Not as much tramlining.

So I am going to give an SS1LE a test drive and see. My ultimate goal is to have a C8 but I refuse to buy a brand new and GM is still working out kinks. I think 2-3 years and if a GS model is announced, that would be my perfect car (except for no manual).

Will report back after the test drive.
Curious, what year gt350 do you have?
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:14 PM   #9
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
I haven't driven a GT350 before, but I was playing around with a GT350 in my SS 1LE once on the road and while I lagged behind in the beginning due to grip issues and a bad start, once I could grip, I actually kept up alright.

I could comment on the C7, though. The Camaro SS certainly does some things better, like the manual trans and some of the interior tech. I do miss some things on the C7 like the targa top and the big trunk, but the Camaro SS 1LE is an excellent replacement in my case.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:22 PM   #10
Thill444

Well to update everyone I traded in my 18 GT350 for a 2020 SS1LE. I fell in love on the test drive.

My impressions:
Pros of the SS1LE:
Better low end torque.
Gearbox feels slightly more precise.
Camaro feels lighter and more nimble
Steering feel is a little lighter but very communicative.
Recaro seats are more comfortable in the SS1LE than the Recaro’s in the GT350
You sit lower in the Camaro and I felt more connected to the road
HUD is awesome
I much prefer the size and shape of the SS1LE steering wheel
Active rev match is fun (and yes I can heel and toe)
Love the wheels. Best looking and aggressive wheels I have owned.
Much more affordable

Cons:
Vodoo sounds way better. I definitely need to research exhaust mods but even then Vodoo will be very hard to beat.
I like the Camaro more below 5K RPM and the GT350 more above 5K rpm.
Visibility is better in the GT350
GT350 has more interior space
Brakes on the GT350 have better initial bite.
18 GT350 has softer plastics and more alcantara in the door panels

I feel like I will be faster in the SS1LE on the track. I’m trying to follow break in but this car is so confidence inspiring to drive. Overall I just think the SS1LE is a better fit for me. Just needs better exhaust note!

Obligatory picture:
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2020, 11:06 PM   #11
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Well to update everyone I traded in my 18 GT350 for a 2020 SS1LE. I fell in love on the test drive.

My impressions:
Pros of the SS1LE:
Better low end torque.
HUD is awesome
Much more affordable

Cons:
Vodoo sounds way better. I definitely need to research exhaust mods but even then Vodoo will be very hard to beat.

I feel like I will be faster in the SS1LE on the track. I’m trying to follow break in but this car is so confidence inspiring to drive. Overall I just think the SS1LE is a better fit for me. Just needs better exhaust note!
Both cars look awesome, congrats on the trade Although I have a non-1LE with the 4-piston brembos, bedding the brakes helped tangibly with the initial bite.

Lots of exhaust options, it will never sound the same as the GT350, but you sure can make it more savage.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:42 PM   #12
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Good luck!! Very cool pic. Start looking into mud guards and possibly ppf.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:00 AM   #13
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:

My impressions:
Pros of the SS1LE:
Better low end torque.
HUD is awesome
Much more affordable

Cons:

Obligatory picture:
Congrats! I got the same color 2020

Keep in mind the steering effort can be adjusted. Ditto exhaust mode. It does sound different and better in Track vs Tour. The steering effort is also quite different due to less assist in the former - if you prefer it.
You may also wish to check out my sticky on PTM modes. Just read the first post, as it has it all.
Regarding break in period: 1500 miles is needed for the ELSD. That's important. Suggest new diff fluid after the break in.

PS I had driven a friend's GT350 and stretched its legs in the twisties in Arizona.
Clearly a special Stang, but *way* overpriced. Not nearly as well balanced as the 1LE. The seats were ok but not as good either. The clutch engagement sucked. The shifter was nice. And unless on a track, not nearly as much usable power, either. The exhaust note is nice, but after a while it gets a bit old and over the top imo.
My friend's car used ridiculous amount of oil, which clearly was an issue. He didnt care as it was a 2 year lease. Somebody will inherit a problem here. Another (track) friend's car puked oil twice while on track. Something to do with seals apparently.

PSS it took all of a 15min test drive for me to buy my first 17 1LE. The car is superbly capable right out of the box, with alignment and proper brake fluid. Also, easy to push in capable hands and can embarrass many exotics.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:43 AM   #14
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Congrats on your new ride
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote