Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-04-2020, 09:48 AM   #15
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
I have put Nitto’s on Racestar rear 315 on 18 inch. Front M & H skinnies 4.5 on race stars 17 inch. These will clear all brakes on Gen 6 Camaro. Its a nice drag pack IMO, but definitely not a street set up. Those skinnies of course should only be used at the track.

That’s my drag set up and I just stay with the stock set up for track.
Attached Images

Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:19 PM   #16
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
I recommend a square setup, whatever diameter you choose. That way you can rotate. And I believe a square setup is faster for a/x and track, it reduces understeer and allows the car to handle more neutrally.
I run square 18" wheels, one set for track and another narrower set for the street. My 18" non-run-flat street tires are so much better riding than the OEM 20" run-flat set up.

Last edited by Roostie; 10-06-2020 at 07:21 PM. Reason: add info on my wheels
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:17 PM   #17
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostie View Post
I recommend a square setup, whatever diameter you choose. That way you can rotate. And I believe a square setup is faster for a/x and track, it reduces understeer and allows the car to handle more neutrally.
I run square 18" wheels, one set for track and another narrower set for the street. My 18" non-run-flat street tires are so much better riding than the OEM 20" run-flat set up.
This is not necessarily the case on an SS 1LE.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:01 AM   #18
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
This is not necessarily the case on an SS 1LE.
Perhaps - good point. However, I tend to think a square setup would be faster for the SS 1LE. (1) Manufacturers almost always set cars up for understeer, because it is safer. (2) Most front-engined cars with a stagger get faster for a/x and track with a square setup, in which all 4 tires are equal or greater width than the OEM rear tires. (3) The 5th Gen. Z/28 was more track-dedicated than the SS 1LE, and it had square 305/30/19. (4) The ZLE has a 20mm stagger, but it also has 200 more hp and torque.
The ability to rotate tires is a major advantage, for longevity and handling balance. It is a bummer to have one axle with heat-cycled or worn out tires; and it is an expensive shame to replace tires on both axles if only one pair is done for. If you are tuning the suspension, and the tires have different numbers of heat cycles, you have to estimate how much of your handling problems are from set up, and how much of the difference is from differing tire grip between the two axles. You are left guessing.

All that said, I'm here to learn and am interested to read an opposing point of view.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:05 AM   #19
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
I've considered 20" not 18" under the premise that traction would be better. But I assume they will not fit.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:20 PM   #20
CC2018SS1LE

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ss 1LE
Quote:
Id recommend the same.
As long as they fit with no modifications, that makes sense
I’m going to speak with Apex
Thanks everyone
CC2018SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:37 PM   #21
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostie View Post
Perhaps - good point. However, I tend to think a square setup would be faster for the SS 1LE. (1) Manufacturers almost always set cars up for understeer, because it is safer. (2) Most front-engined cars with a stagger get faster for a/x and track with a square setup, in which all 4 tires are equal or greater width than the OEM rear tires. (3) The 5th Gen. Z/28 was more track-dedicated than the SS 1LE, and it had square 305/30/19. (4) The ZLE has a 20mm stagger, but it also has 200 more hp and torque.
The ability to rotate tires is a major advantage, for longevity and handling balance. It is a bummer to have one axle with heat-cycled or worn out tires; and it is an expensive shame to replace tires on both axles if only one pair is done for. If you are tuning the suspension, and the tires have different numbers of heat cycles, you have to estimate how much of your handling problems are from set up, and how much of the difference is from differing tire grip between the two axles. You are left guessing.

All that said, I'm here to learn and am interested to read an opposing point of view.
Tire set up (staggered, or square) is just one tuning element of overall handling balance. Rake, springs, shocks, track width, sway bars, etc will all influence balance. Regarding SS 1LE, i can tell ya without any doubt, that the car is superbly balanced and if anything, can easily become tail happy in slower corners.
Stock G3s are superbly capable track tires, last about 7 days and wear quite equally. After that many days, i wouldnt want to replace fronts only, as rears are almost done as well. As a bonus, they cost much less than most other competitors in that category.

Having said that, when folks put much softer tire on, say G3R, or slicks, fronts wear out faster and having a true square set up is beneficial for keeping costs down by rotating fronts with rears. This means all 4 rims must be the same ET however. This will increase the rear track width some, providing for more balanced car, plus a reduced rake will do the same. So, it is not necessarily that the car will be oversteering more, or understeering less per se just because of a square tire set up. It also depends on the other bits. And i know of folks that went with square and then inceased the front sway bar to bring the car back to more neutral balance. So, it all depends

Btw folks that go from 20s to 19s usually benefit from shorter gearing.

As far as Z/28 example, althought it comes with 305s all around, it is not a true square set up, as the rear rim is wider. This in effect introduces a bit of stagger by stretching rear tire more and of course one cannot swap rims front with back because of different ETs. You could swap tires, but would need to account for this extra cost (and time).

Many would say the Z/28 was "more track focused" car, but i would disagree. Note that at Laguna Seca, SS 1LE beats it driven by the same driver (Randy Pobst), with less power, less sticky tires, no trick DSSV suspension, etc. Dont get me wrong, i think of the Zapper as a *very* special car (and ridiculously expensive!), but the fact the car comes with no radio and stickiest street tires available on the market doesnt make it "more track focused". I too could put the same Trofeos on my SS 1LE and go even faster without having to spend 75 big ones

Nice chatting! Cheers!

PS Ive never driven a non 1LE SS, or another non SS 1LE model, so cant comment about them. But, i am on my 2nd SS 1LE now and know the car very well.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:42 PM   #22
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2018SS1LE View Post
As long as they fit with no modifications, that makes sense
I’m going to speak with Apex
Thanks everyone
Well, you'd likely have to run a spacer up front and do a strut mod to get proper camber. So i dont believe it will be a clean bolt on per se.

To tell ya the truth, this is tons of $ and PITA just to save a pair of damn tires! Run stock rims and rubber (it is awesome on track plus priced great) and sell the R888 on Vette Forum. Easy peasy
Old 10-07-2020, 09:56 PM   #23
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Well, you'd likely have to run a spacer up front and do a strut mod to get proper camber. So i dont believe it will be a clean bolt on per se.

To tell ya the truth, this is tons of $ and PITA just to save a pair of damn tires! Run stock rims and rubber (it is awesome on track plus priced great) and sell the R888 on Vette Forum. Easy peasy

Lol, I agree... the car is also designed around the OEM tires and it works well, I wouldn't change anything without good reason.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:52 PM   #24
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Lol, I agree... the car is also designed around the OEM tires and it works well, I wouldn't change anything without good reason.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:14 PM   #25
CC2018SS1LE

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ss 1LE
Quote:

I have decided to keep the R88Rs for my Vette

I’m Going to try this set up, keeping the stock 305 20s in the rear and putting 305 19s up front, just for track days
It is almost the same diameter as the 285 20s but an inch wider
A guy at PBIR had this set up, worked really well
Little more front grip can’t hurt
CC2018SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
18” front rims, 19” rear rims