Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #1
climber

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
Fluid Change and General Maintenance Questions

Afternoon! Thank you all first for all your help! I have been searching for a few days and I while I have had 98% of my questions answered I couldn't find these questions. If I missed something please shoot me a link and I will edit my post down!

2012 1LT Camaro V6 Manual; street only with some fun times on empty roads

1. Do I need a new o-ring and/or plug when I do my rear differential fluid change?
2. Same question for manual transmission plugs
3. What torque should I use? I have stripped enough parts in aluminium that I always like to have a torque value if possible!
4. Is this the link below the right limited slip additive for the rear differential? Most people mention the use of a 2.5oz bottle, but link here is a 4oz bottle. Should I only use 2.5oz or just the whole thing?

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-40...o+limited+slip

My manual information is pasted below this line, but I can't find the quantity and this part number doesn't come up when I have been searching for it.
Rear Differential Fluid 75W-90 Limited Slip
(GM Part No. 89021677 and Friction Modifier 1052358,
in Canada 89021678 and Friction Modifier 992694).

5. To confirm, if i am just doing a stock rear differential fluid change and manual transmission change, can I switch to the Mobil 1 75w-90 Synthetic gear oil with no issues? The Mobil 1 costs half of the ACDelco product. I don't mind spending the extra, but don't want to if the Mobil is as good or better. Most people prefer the Mobil it appears, but I didn't see if I had to flush the system first.

7. Doing a partial fluid change for the brakes/clutch using the old syringe method in the reservoir (bleeding the brakes and pumping the clutch included). From multiple posts I have seen you can mix them but the DOT 4 is pretty much for track use only. Is it even worth buying DOT4? My thoughts are, why not buy the higher one since it is $1 more. Am I missing something?

6. Lastly, just a general questions for all of the more experienced mechanics out there: Doing a nice 110k mile overhaul on my camaro. Changing rotors (R1); pads (Hawk HPS); going to do a reservoir fluid change for the brake/clutch fluid change; replacing spark plugs, rear differential fluid change, manual transmission fluid change, air filter changes, and a throttle bottle cleaning. My car has been running a little rougher over the last 10k or so than it has before. Nothing major, just something a car owner would notice. Any other reasonably priced updates/maintenance I should make? I was going to replace the spark plug wires, but apparently the coils are direct connected to my plugs (haven't confirmed that, but it was what the dealership mentioned)
climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:00 AM   #2
climber

All I found a great DIY guide that mentions what torque! Tennis_pro used 30 ft-lbs for both and seemed to resuse both plugs

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ial+drain+plug
Old 07-19-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Take it from an old fart.....you can use anything that matches the GM/Delco stuff. Mobil 1 is just fine. You shouldn't need to replace any rubber. Stock plug replacement is fine. When you upgrade the brakes...just bleed and replace with whats recommended. Might want add a drain n fill on coolant. Otherwise, you are right on track. I have never torqued a fluid fill bolt...hand tight and about a 1/8th turn with the ratchet.
No need to flush anything. Drain and fill.
Good luck.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:20 PM   #4
climber

Avenging Orange, Thank you! Started the work this weekend! I will post the host of lessons learned once I am done!

Tags
change, differential, fluid, manual, v6 1lt