Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 12-06-2016, 06:09 PM   #15
toro1966

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Convertible 50th
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
Tuning is a problem on the 2017 as Perdieu has mentioned. What kind of tuning device does Magnuson include with their kit?
Believe it's an SCT. But why is tuning a problem on the 2017's if all the replies so far are that everything is the same...?
toro1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:42 PM   #16
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro1966 View Post
Believe it's an SCT. But why is tuning a problem on the 2017's if all the replies so far are that everything is the same...?
GM changed things with the ECM/TCM on the 2017s compared to the 2016s. They are NOT the same in that regard. Whoever said everything is the same may have been thinking about the physical installation of the supercharger, which might be true.

When I checked (October I think), SCT did not show support for the 2017 Camaro.

HP Tuners has limited support, can do ECM tuning, but nothing whatsoever on the A8 transmission.

EFI Live, I have not seen anyone report successfully tuning a 2017, either ECM or TCM, as of yet.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:21 PM   #17
toro1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
GM changed things with the ECM/TCM on the 2017s compared to the 2016s. They are NOT the same in that regard. Whoever said everything is the same may have been thinking about the physical installation of the supercharger, which might be true.

When I checked (October I think), SCT did not show support for the 2017 Camaro.

HP Tuners has limited support, can do ECM tuning, but nothing whatsoever on the A8 transmission.

EFI Live, I have not seen anyone report successfully tuning a 2017, either ECM or TCM, as of yet.
Excellent update and information. Thanks, that was exactly what
I was looking for. Looks like I might be waiting a bit to purchase.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:21 PM   #18
toohighpsi

Drives: 2015 C7 Z06 M7
I believe that 2017s can only be tuned with HP Tuners - and engine only.
I am not aware of any handhelds that can do the 2017s yet.
toohighpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:25 PM   #19
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by toohighpsi View Post
I believe that 2017s can only be tuned with HP Tuners - and engine only.
I am not aware of any handhelds that can do the 2017s yet.
I have a 2017, do you know if I were to buy a Maggie right now is a tune file sent on some sort of media (USB/CD) or would I have to rely on the install shop to tune it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners

Last edited by sub_ETCS_ret; 12-06-2016 at 09:35 PM.
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:17 AM   #20
cncmotors

Drives: camaro
Basically, SCT X4 comes with HB but you can omit the tuner when you purchase. Of course price will be discounted.
cncmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:03 AM   #21
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmotors View Post
Basically, SCT X4 comes with HB but you can omit the tuner when you purchase. Of course price will be discounted.
But does it still come with a tune file or tuning recommendations? The warranty is only valid when using their tune.
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
Old 12-07-2016, 08:48 AM   #22
Perdieu

Drives: 2017 Nightfall Grey Auto 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
I have a 2017, do you know if I were to buy a Maggie right now is a tune file sent on some sort of media (USB/CD) or would I have to rely on the install shop to tune it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Great question.
Perdieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #23
cncmotors

Quote:
But does it still come with a tune file or tuning recommendations? The warranty is only valid when using their tune.
You need to download 'Stock File' from your vehicle by SCT or Hp Tuner. They are working as connecting to OBD port. When you get 'Stock File', email it to Maggie or email it to JRE for custom tune.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #24
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmotors View Post
You need to download 'Stock File' from your vehicle by SCT or Hp Tuner. They are working as connecting to OBD port. When you get 'Stock File', email it to Maggie or email it to JRE for custom tune.
That goes back to the problem - I have a 2017 and SCT doesn't work with the 2017. So the tune can be pulled with HP tuners and sent back in a HPT file to Magnuson in order to keep the warranty?
Old 12-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #25
cncmotors

Quote:
That goes back to the problem - I have a 2017 and SCT doesn't work with the 2017. So the tune can be pulled with HP tuners and sent back in a HPT file to Magnuson in order to keep the warranty?
Personally, it won't be a problem if your get that tune file from Maggie. Warranty won't be avoided but you need to contact to Andrew at Magnuson.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:51 AM   #26
toro1966

I am fairly certain I want the Maggie - but won't pull the trigger until I know there is a valid tune available for the 2017s.

Also, I am still trying to confirm the strut tower brace fits over the Maggie. I know it fits over the Edelbrock.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:56 AM   #27
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by toro1966 View Post
I am fairly certain I want the Maggie - but won't pull the trigger until I know there is a valid tune available for the 2017s.

Also, I am still trying to confirm the strut tower brace fits over the Maggie. I know it fits over the Edelbrock.
The easiest way to find out will probably be a phone call or email to them.

I'm guessing that the shop installing the Maggie can pull the tune file with HPT and send it to Magnuson and they in turn will send you back an HPT file.

As for the Strut tower brace, just based on a quick visual I'm thinking that you're S.O.L.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #28
toro1966

Thinking the same thing - which may force me to go Edelbrock. I don't want to get rid of the strut tower brace with the convertible.

I also don't want them to send me a tune that hasn't bee tested/proven for the 17s. I know they make great stuff, but I have never been good at being the guinea pig....Lol