Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
MyOrangeSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Clearing exposed Carbon Fiber

I have the Seibon CF SS style front splitter, its already on the car and I never cleared it. I've read in another thread that it needs to be cleared, so how long do I have, and is it something that I can do myself with a can of duplicolor clear coat..... If so can someone talk me about the prep, like is wet sanding required?
Attached Images

Last edited by MyOrangeSS; 03-22-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: notification
MyOrangeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
It being that shiny, it looks like it's been cleared. Ask the manufacturer about the epoxy they used, if it's UV retardant, it doesn't have to be cleared, but you can. Just treat it as paint.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
MyOrangeSS

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL1CK View Post
It being that shiny, it looks like it's been cleared. Ask the manufacturer about the epoxy they used, if it's UV retardant, it doesn't have to be cleared, but you can. Just treat it as paint.
I sent seibon an email, there website doesnt really get into detail on the finish as far as UV retardant or not. But lets say its not, can I do it myself or should I just take it to a body shop and have them shoot it?
Old 03-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
If you've never painted a body panel before, take it to a shop.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
John@AutoAgenda

Drives: 2004 GTO
If it's that shiny then it should already have clear on it and I wouldn't worry about it. As far as clearing something clear coat can be a bit hard to work with especially if you are not comfortable wet sanding and Duplicolor clear especially out of a can is extremely thin and a pain in the ass to cut and buff without sanding through the paint. It's also a single stage and the life of the clear is not long especially if you live in a sunny environment.

I would say if it's that shiny then it already has clear on it and I wouldn't worry about it. If you want it cleared then take it to a shop who can use professional products and professional guns v.s a can.
John@AutoAgenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
MyOrangeSS

thanks guys

Tags
carbon fiber, clear coat, splitter