Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-21-2018, 06:16 AM   #15
24v
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Correct. No maf relocation required for an intake swap. Rotofab and KN do not throw codes at all. Can’t speak for other intakes because I just don’t know, and some other are designed to be retuned for.

Additionally, I encourage all in this discussion to actually read the MM act, as well as any legal explanation of it.....as it’s obvious nobody has. The act SPECIFICALLY places the legal burden of proof on a dealership to prove the aftermarket part contributed to the failure that was denied. This isn’t me speculating, it’s the black and white of the act we are discussing. I understand no body wants to end up in this perdiciment of playing the warranty blame game with a dealership.....but that concern is the EXACT reason the suit was brought forward and the precedent was set: so that dealers can’t deny repairs without proof.

Well then call me nobody, because I have read the MM act. It's kinda boring btw.

With that said, if you brought a car with an aftermarket intake system into the dealer with engine repair issues, it would be pretty easy for them to say the engine management software calibration was now not as accurate which caused the engine to run outside of parameters designed by the manufacturer. I would imagine they would also bring up the fact that their own intake system includes an engine management calibration.

If you decided to calibrate it yourself with aftermarket software then the car may no longer be compliant with EPA and Smog laws, so that is also an easy out for them. Just ask Harley Davidson.

So, while I'm sure you could find someway to try to fight this, what I said above still is true.

"I would imagine GMs lawyers have a bit of practice at it so keep that in mind."
24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:46 AM   #16
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24v View Post
Well then call me nobody, because I have read the MM act. It's kinda boring btw.

With that said, if you brought a car with an aftermarket intake system into the dealer with engine repair issues, it would be pretty easy for them to say the engine management software calibration was now not as accurate which caused the engine to run outside of parameters designed by the manufacturer. I would imagine they would also bring up the fact that their own intake system includes an engine management calibration.

If you decided to calibrate it yourself with aftermarket software then the car may no longer be compliant with EPA and Smog laws, so that is also an easy out for them. Just ask Harley Davidson.

So, while I'm sure you could find someway to try to fight this, what I said above still is true.

"I would imagine GMs lawyers have a bit of practice at it so keep that in mind."
I agree. It's not that the MM act gives you free reign to modify your car with the hopes that the dealership has to prove what you did broke your car.

sadly, it boils down to who has the most money, and who has the better lawyers. I'd be willing to bet, most of us don't have as much money, or better lawyers than gm. So unless it's absolutely without a shadow of a doubt something else that broke your car, you can be willing to bet all gm has to do is drain you dry past the point of it being worth it anymore, even if it's painfully obvious to you and others that it is something gm should handle.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:35 PM   #17
NM-ZR1

I am kicking around the thought of just going with a K&N replacement in the stock housing. They say it flows better then the AC/Delco but who knows, perhaps just great marketing strategy to sell a $65 filter.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:58 AM   #18
Goldfish

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM-ZR1 View Post
I am kicking around the thought of just going with a K&N replacement in the stock housing. They say it flows better then the AC/Delco but who knows, perhaps just great marketing strategy to sell a $65 filter.

It's definitely the latter part.
Goldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:23 PM   #19
NM-ZR1

After reading about a dozen reviews and comparisons on the Roto-Fab, K&N filter replacement vs the stock box and element I have decided to stick with the factory setup for now.

One thing I did find interesting in the review is no where did I see mentioned in tests where a newly replaced Factory filter was installed before a comparison was made to either of these products. I imagine if you used the stock setup with a used or dirty factory filter there would be some definite horse power gains. Perhaps I just missed that little tidbit.

Bottom line here is $600.00 bucks buys a lot of stock filters and no issues with warranty. Furthermore, I have already been warned by my local Chevy dealer's service writers to forget about after market cold air induction kits unless I just want to cause complications for myself.

I must say though the Roto-Fab does look much better then the factory plastic box and it would have really looked great, oh well, so much for that.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:40 PM   #20
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Its a 30 minute switch. Go for it, warranties are over rated. I don't think mines under warranty. Ha
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:49 PM   #21
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
I had to doublecheck...I thought I wondered into the wrong section.

I have noticed that my cold air intake makes a whining sound and it seems like there are times when the noise coming from the air intake is more pronounced. The weird thing is, my tire tread has started to wear down much quicker over the last month or two and I think that the noise from the intake is related.

I took the car in to have the dealer look at it because I can swear, the louder the intake, the more pronounced my tread deterioration has become. I don’t know if it was my intake, or if it’s just bad tires. Regardless, since I installed a cold air intake the dealership refused to even investigate.

That is why I put My car completely back to stock until my warranty expires. I am at 4000 miles now...

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:59 PM   #22
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Whoah! That's just like the problem folks get when their car gets really bad gas mileage at the same time it wears through the tires really fast!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:11 AM   #23
Goldfish

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsagacity View Post
I had to doublecheck...I thought I wondered into the wrong section.

I have noticed that my cold air intake makes a whining sound and it seems like there are times when the noise coming from the air intake is more pronounced. The weird thing is, my tire tread has started to wear down much quicker over the last month or two and I think that the noise from the intake is related.

I took the car in to have the dealer look at it because I can swear, the louder the intake, the more pronounced my tread deterioration has become. I don’t know if it was my intake, or if it’s just bad tires. Regardless, since I installed a cold air intake the dealership refused to even investigate.

That is why I put My car completely back to stock until my warranty expires. I am at 4000 miles now...
This sounds like a serious issue that only I am qualified to diagnose. Please ship your car to me for some test drives, after which I will provide you with a written report detailing the correlation between this whining sound and your rapid tire deterioration. Please also include a new set of tires. I'll need to collect a lot of data.
Goldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:29 PM   #24
NM-ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsagacity View Post
...I have noticed that my cold air intake makes a whining sound and it seems like there are times when the noise coming from the air intake is more pronounced. The weird thing is, my tire tread has started to wear down much quicker over the last month or two and I think that the noise from the intake is related....
So, if I understand this there is a direct connection between the cold air intake, a noisy supercharger, specifically whine and tire failure...
Installing a Roto-Fab could cause these conditions,

You guys are a riot!
Old 10-20-2018, 01:59 PM   #25
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM-ZR1 View Post
I have a general question to those who have a Rotofab cold air intake system. I have called a number of Chevrolet dealers about installing an aftermarket cold air intake.

I usually get a number of responses all the way from "It could void your warranty if we see it on the car" all the way down to "you should put your factory air box on before bringing it in" This seems like it would be a lot of work to do each time you take it in.

So my question to those who have them installed is how do you handle warranty issues?

(and before someone mentions it, yes I know all about the magnuson ferguson act and no, I don't want to get into a pissing contest with GM)

Thanks for all suggestions
IMO, if I had any warranty issues at all, even a reflash, I'd just put the stock box back in. Problem solved. But I'm old and like things that are simple and will work 100%. I'll leave it to the tailgate bunch to argue about how many angles can dance on a pin.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:51 AM   #26
NM-ZR1

Here is an interesting update, I was told by a Chevy mechanic that there is an aftermarket cold air intake certified by GM and will not impact warranty in any way. See the following link:

https://www.coldairinductions.com/sh...carbon-series/

The carbon fiber cold air system for the Camaro really looks cool and much more upscale then the Roto Fab system though it is much more expensive.

I have sent cold air inductions an email to find out exactly what the story is and plan on a call to a service writer at the local dealer that poo-pood the Roto Fab unit to see what he says.

Anyone had any dealings with Cold Air or their products that they can share? I am excited that this could be my solution, great looks, better performance and no warranty issues. That would be fantastic!
Old 10-27-2018, 01:10 PM   #27
Epx998
|Engineer|

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
If you are worried about the GM warranty, don't do anything to your car until it expires. Problem solved. If you modify your car in CA that effects emissions, it needs a EO number from the state.

Why change the intake anyway, it is a waste of time and money...
Old 10-28-2018, 07:39 PM   #28
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epx998 View Post
If you are worried about the GM warranty, don't do anything to your car until it expires. Problem solved. If you modify your car in CA that effects emissions, it needs a EO number from the state.

Why change the intake anyway, it is a waste of time and money...

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote