#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > CANADA

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #29
Ottawaguy2018

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota_c69 View Post
We have had a record year for snow here and I drive my 6.2l Camaro 2SS everyday. It's all about throttle control. The studded tires offer crazy amounts of grip in the snow and ice. It is quite surprising. My only concern is the front spoiler being low and ruts in parking lots.

I have a 2013 F150 4x4 for those really bad days. Even though today is quite warm and the roads are clear I drove the truck today. Luckily I did, because my parking lot has huge melted ruts and rivers of water in them. I think this is only the 3rd time I've taken the truck.

The truck wears Blizzaks all around and I don't think it has the outright grip the Camaro has. Just better ground clearance and 4x4 to get started off.

This is NOT Camaro friendly!
Nice, but F150.... come on man you are better than that hahaha

We're not allowed to have studded tires here in Ontario, otherwise I would in a second. As well as I feel like the Gas mileage would be better with the 2.0L if you are on a budget lol

The front splitter is a concern if it's a daily driver. But it's actually higher than the Cruze and it has no issues.
Ottawaguy2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #30
dakota_c69

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 50th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawaguy2018 View Post
....it's actually higher than the Cruze and it has no issues.
I didn't realize that. It just looks so low and I have done a little plowing with the Camaro, but don't want to repeat it much! The F150 scraped in that parking lot today! And that Ecoboost is the best 1/2 ton tow vehicle there is!
dakota_c69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:18 PM   #31
Papa Smurf
Cobalt SS Owner to Camaro

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro 2.0L Turbo
First time camaro owner. Got a Brand New 2017 Camaro mid january at a end of year sale at a Chevy dealership. Traded my 07 chevy cobalt ss supercharged, and I gotta say, liking the camaro community. Owned it for about 2 months now as my daily driver and I got say that this automobile blew my expectations higher then I expected in handling when it comes to snow as a rwd vehicle. The turbo camaro went through 2 serious Nor'Easter snow storms already this year. We got hit pretty hard specifically in Delaware. Unfortunately, me and that camaro went through the 2nd one last week. Was a really bad, windy, thick snow and slush storm on the way home from work and truthfully, that camaro of mine did better in snow, in my honest opinion then my fwd Chevy cobalt ss supercharged ever would had. With traction control on and snow/ice mode engaged, that vehicle ran pretty confident through icy back roads and snow covered highways on the all season eagle gt tires that come stock on it. And arrived safe and sound home in my warm toasty camaro ...❄❄❄❄
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:25 AM   #32
V8RWD

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger-SS View Post
Buy a beater and save the car,there is no way your ever going to convince me that you won't get rock chips or salt blasted with the roads we have in Canada.i drive for a living 5,000 Kim's a week and my truck gets blasted on highway or city.Doesnt make sense to me to buy such a great looking car to have to swirve for falling chunks of ice and snow drifts but that's my thoughts.
I am in this group--my Camaro hasn't even seen rain. But having a beater car isn't an option for everyone. Or some people just don't want to "baby" their car as much. And to those who 365 it, I salute you!
V8RWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:14 AM   #33
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:

As well as I feel like the Gas mileage would be better with the 2.0L if you are on a budget lol
2 Winters with my 2.0T zero issues I had the A/S Runflats for the first winter avoid hills if it's slick and your alright but the traction on those things suck so bad. I bought a new set off rims and tires of my friend locally with blizzaks and I have had zero issues in 7 to 8 inches of road snow. Eventually if nothings plowed your plowing and not gonna go anywhere but if it's that bad probably better to stay home even with a 4x4.

Do not make your decision based on gas mileage between 2.0T and V6 though the turbo will net better overall highway it won't around town. Make a decision are you modding or not where do you want to end up if you are modding and what kind of money do you want to spend to hit your goals. Basically the V6 has a supercharger option for an insane chunk of change you can hit those numbers in a 2.0T with about 50 to 60% less money spent when it's all said and done. Either way they are both excellent cars on a great platform.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #34
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
I'm way more concerned about parking lots than snow
You cannot polish out a door ding or fender crunch

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:35 AM   #35
Ottawaguy2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota_c69 View Post
I didn't realize that. It just looks so low and I have done a little plowing with the Camaro, but don't want to repeat it much! The F150 scraped in that parking lot today! And that Ecoboost is the best 1/2 ton tow vehicle there is!
I would take a Silverado or a Sierra over a Ford anyday. But that's beside the point lol

Yeah, I have a Cruze and have measured it from the ground to the front splitter, the Camaro is actually higher.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #36
Ottawaguy2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
First time camaro owner. Got a Brand New 2017 Camaro mid january at a end of year sale at a Chevy dealership. Traded my 07 chevy cobalt ss supercharged, and I gotta say, liking the camaro community. Owned it for about 2 months now as my daily driver and I got say that this automobile blew my expectations higher then I expected in handling when it comes to snow as a rwd vehicle. The turbo camaro went through 2 serious Nor'Easter snow storms already this year. We got hit pretty hard specifically in Delaware. Unfortunately, me and that camaro went through the 2nd one last week. Was a really bad, windy, thick snow and slush storm on the way home from work and truthfully, that camaro of mine did better in snow, in my honest opinion then my fwd Chevy cobalt ss supercharged ever would had. With traction control on and snow/ice mode engaged, that vehicle ran pretty confident through icy back roads and snow covered highways on the all season eagle gt tires that come stock on it. And arrived safe and sound home in my warm toasty camaro ...❄❄❄❄
Thats awesome!, hopefully winter is over soon. although it's snowing here in Ottawa today
Old 03-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #37
Ottawaguy2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
2 Winters with my 2.0T zero issues I had the A/S Runflats for the first winter avoid hills if it's slick and your alright but the traction on those things suck so bad. I bought a new set off rims and tires of my friend locally with blizzaks and I have had zero issues in 7 to 8 inches of road snow. Eventually if nothings plowed your plowing and not gonna go anywhere but if it's that bad probably better to stay home even with a 4x4.

Do not make your decision based on gas mileage between 2.0T and V6 though the turbo will net better overall highway it won't around town. Make a decision are you modding or not where do you want to end up if you are modding and what kind of money do you want to spend to hit your goals. Basically the V6 has a supercharger option for an insane chunk of change you can hit those numbers in a 2.0T with about 50 to 60% less money spent when it's all said and done. Either way they are both excellent cars on a great platform.
Very valid points.

I was more comparing the gas mileage between the 2.0L and V6, compared to the 6.2L

I'd be keeping them mostly stock, unless I had the 6.2L then I'd be modding.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:41 AM   #38
Trentelshark

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Very valid points.

I was more comparing the gas mileage between the 2.0L and V6, compared to the 6.2L

I'd be keeping them mostly stock, unless I had the 6.2L then I'd be modding.
From the perspective of the power in snow, with the V8 you can always just use less throttle. I've had 0 issues with the 1SS 1LE so far as traction and power are concerned and that's leaving it in Sport mode. As someone else mentioned snow/ice mode does help, throttle response is dumbed down substantially (at least imo) but in general just take it easy and the V8 should just as manageable as a 2.0L or V6.

When it comes down to fuel economy doing all city driving I MIGHT get 400km/tank right now. I won't let it drop below 1/8 tank in the colder conditions just to be safe so I haven't pushed it as far as I could. Not sure how the 2.0L or V6 does but if that's a concern for you, steering away from the V8 might be your best bet. That said my 2008 Cobalt SS Turbo w/ the GM Turbo Upgrade kit didn't do much better fuel economy wise, the tank was just substantially smaller .
Trentelshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:54 PM   #39
Papa Smurf
Cobalt SS Owner to Camaro

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro 2.0L Turbo
I agree with you Trentelshark. And also the turbo requires 93 octane premium gasoline over the 6-Cylinders which require only regular fuel. But, at the end of the day...I say we all break even financially on gas being as a eco friendly turbo Camaro owner or a 'lowered' mpg v6 camaro owner. Furthermore, the V8 also requires Premium gas with lower mpg. So your getting the worse part of the turbo and the v6 combined. Lower Mpg and Premium.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:15 PM   #40
Quix

Drives: 2016 2LT V6 Garnet Red
I was a little worried about driving my Camaro in the winter before I tried it. I'd never driven a RWD car in snow before and everyone tells you they're terrible in snow. Now? I think it's better in the snow than my previous car (Mazda 3), both with Michelin X-Ice 3 tires. It's not significantly lower, and can get out of snow piles better because of all that low-end torque. If it's snowing I generally drive the car in touring mode to cool the throttle down a bit.

And IMadeYouReadThis, I have the same winter rims. Good taste!
Quix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:46 PM   #41
dakota_c69

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 50th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8RWD View Post
I am in this group--my Camaro hasn't even seen rain. But having a beater car isn't an option for everyone. Or some people just don't want to "baby" their car as much. And to those who 365 it, I salute you!
My motto is that life is too short to drive a boring car every day. My truck is a very nice place to be, just as loaded as the 2SS and quite powerful, so I am certainly not suffering by taking the "beater", but the driving dynamics are like comparing the flight dynamics of a brick to a well crafted paper airplane. I love this car and can not let it sit. I drive it everywhere, but I kind of baby it. My 80 pound lab is NOT allowed in there!

Quote:
I would take a Silverado or a Sierra over a Ford anyday. But that's beside the point lol...
I've never been a brand loyalist. The Ecoboost pulls our fat RV out of really ugly Dirt Bike race sites the best of all the half tons (Low End TORQUE!). The next truck upgrade will be a diesel, and the duramax is in the lead in that race right now. Looking forward to seeing the 2019 redesign applied to the HD line.

When it came to cars, I crossed shopped caymans, boxsters, mustangs (including the GT350 my wife loved), BMW, Audi S4 and the Camaro. When it was all boiled down there was no vehicle that could come close to what the Camaro offered in driving dynamics for the price of entry! The wife fought a good fight for the Mustang though... though it never even came close to the Camaro in dynamics.
dakota_c69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:40 AM   #42
Tankman

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT 2.0 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
I agree with you Trentelshark. And also the turbo requires 93 octane premium gasoline over the 6-Cylinders which require only regular fuel. But, at the end of the day...I say we all break even financially on gas being as a eco friendly turbo Camaro owner or a 'lowered' mpg v6 camaro owner. Furthermore, the V8 also requires Premium gas with lower mpg. So your getting the worse part of the turbo and the v6 combined. Lower Mpg and Premium.
Not sure if I've read that 93 octane is recommended anywhere. I have however read that premium fuel is..........where I live 91 works just fine.
Just my tuppence if we are talking 'savings'.
Regards my fellow winter Camaro users.........
Tankman is offline   Reply With Quote