Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > CANADA

AWE Tuning

Old 10-13-2021, 10:10 PM   #1
wik.haider

Drives: 2SS
To Camaro or not?

Hey everyone,
I am totally new to the fast car world. I thought I never liked muscle cars but I had the privilege of driving a ZL1 and it was like love at first sight. The growl and how the engine takes off was just amazing.

For comparison I then went on to drive a few mustangs (GT's) and realized its too tame on the low end. Tbh felt like a mommy car.

Fast forward - 2 months later, I can't decide between a 2SS and a 1LT C8 vette. What a problem to have :(

Here's my list of pro's and cons living in GTA:

2SS --------- ILT C8

- 85k Tax in -------- 117k Tax in
- 1.49% finance rate ------ 5.49% finance rate
- Possible GM discount ---- No GM discount
- Not as eye catching ----- Almost looks like a supercar
- Can take kids out if ----- 2 seater so very limited use
needed (ages 2 and 5)
- Some interior is plastic --- more luxurious

The flipside is this may be the only time in my life I can afford one of these and will enjoy it for a few/many years before I get old or the mrs changes her mind

I guess I am asking if you guys have any suggestions? How did you come about your decisions? And if you think after 2024 will the 2SS hold its value if GM discontinue it.

Last edited by wik.haider; 10-13-2021 at 10:12 PM. Reason: format
wik.haider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:31 PM   #2
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Get the one that you can EASILY afford and want and fits your needs. C8s are all marked I think. You'll most likely won't get one at MSRP, at least that's how it is in the States. Plus can't fit both kids (or possibly any).

2SS cost less and is still awesome. Route I'd take. I got a 1SS b/c I didn't want leather or anything else the 2SS has. I paid way under sticker too. Performance beast of bargain.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:41 AM   #3
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
If you are trying to decide between a C8 or a 2SS Camaro, you should get the ZL1 Camaro.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:56 AM   #4
silverscreamo

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro V6 with RS package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
If you are trying to decide between a C8 or a 2SS Camaro, you should get the ZL1 Camaro.
This is the correct answer unless we're all missing some details here. The ZL1 is essentially the best of both worlds.

And wik.haider, totally get where you're coming from. I was actually a diehard mustang guy until the 6th gen dropped. Love at first sight and never looked back since.
Trifecta Tune
silverscreamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:51 AM   #5
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverscreamo View Post
This is the correct answer unless we're all missing some details here. The ZL1 is essentially the best of both worlds.

And wik.haider, totally get where you're coming from. I was actually a diehard mustang guy until the 6th gen dropped. Love at first sight and never looked back since.
Then he might have to add another line item to his comparison list. Insurance.

When I bought my car I started with the idea that I would get a V8 convertible. That narrowed it down to Camaro SS, Camaro ZL1, Corvette Grand Sport. I wasn’t willing to spend what I would have had to spend to get a Z06. Highest insurance rate? ZL1 convertible by a lot. Almost double the SS. The issue was 455 hp (SS) vs 460 hp (GS) vs 650 hp (ZL1). This was checking with multiple insurance companies.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 10-14-2021 at 10:20 AM.
Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:54 AM   #6
wik.haider

Drives: 2SS
Wow all good thoughts and thanks for all the responses.

Insurance cost of course is another factor but also which car holds up better in the longer term? I don't intend to change it for a few years (I'm a hoarder. lol).

The ZL1 is awesome but does it add anything extra for the daily driver compared to say an SS?

FYI - since I am planning to order a new one, the current wait time for a c8 is 2+ years and the Camaro around 6 months.
wik.haider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:21 AM   #7
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wik.haider View Post
Wow all good thoughts and thanks for all the responses.

Insurance cost of course is another factor but also which car holds up better in the longer term? I don't intend to change it for a few years (I'm a hoarder. lol).

The ZL1 is awesome but does it add anything extra for the daily driver compared to say an SS?

FYI - since I am planning to order a new one, the current wait time for a c8 is 2+ years and the Camaro around 6 months.
ZL1 will arguably add little as a DD to an SS. It's got more power sure but how much can you really use? The SS is beast as it is. If you got the $$$ and the horrid mpgs of the ZL1 you can live with and $65K+ is in your budget....then go for it.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:27 PM   #8
dfxrte

Drives: 22 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
ZL1 will arguably add little as a DD to an SS. It's got more power sure but how much can you really use? The SS is beast as it is. If you got the $$$ and the horrid mpgs of the ZL1 you can live with and $65K+ is in your budget....then go for it.

Having a zl1 now and a 2ss prior, you can't compare the 2. The only thing similar about these car is the exterior appearance, that's all.

Comes down to budget, if you can afford a zl1 you go for the zl1.
dfxrte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:46 AM   #9
Exia
Exia

Drives: '23 Corvette Z06/Z07 & '22 2SS 1LE
What kind of SS do you have built that its 85k? Thats MSRP of a ZL1 1LE, even with TTL thats an insanely expensive SS, for that money I'd just get a ZL1.

Onto the question anyway, I've owned a C8 Corvette and I'm on my second Camaro. If you liked the ZL1 and feel the Mustang GT didn't have enough power, I'm not sure why your considering an SS, the power won't be any different.

C8 Corvette's have wait lists 12-18 months out but you can get them for MSRP if you wait, used ones will not be MSRP.

The C8 is a better daily and street car, the ride is incredibly good, incredibly comfortable and the highway fuel economy was amazing. The car doesn't feel like any previous American performance car. Its more refined, quiter on the inside, no V8 rumble shaking the car at idle. Some people like the car feeling a little more raw, of which the Camaro is.

I also believe the answer lies in what transmission you want. If the Camaro will be automatic I'd get the C8 if your willing to wait and can afford the extra cost, it will certainly hold its value better then an SS.

If you want a manual, no brainer, Camaro.
Exia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:51 AM   #10
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exia View Post
What kind of SS do you have built that its 85k? Thats MSRP of a ZL1 1LE, even with TTL thats an insanely expensive SS, for that money I'd just get a ZL1..
I believe the OP is in Canada
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 12:06 PM   #11
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
So is the guy asking the question.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:09 PM   #12
Exia
Exia

Drives: '23 Corvette Z06/Z07 & '22 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post

I'm also Canadian and a base ZL1 comes in at 74k and it comes with everything. Maybe they want an auto and a sunroof? sure, but it still now barely scratches 85k after taxes.

I'd still like to know how OP got a 2SS to about 75k MSRP, because really, just get a ZL1 at that point.
Exia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:45 PM   #13
Speak99

Drives: Camaro 2020 2SS VERT
I bought a 2020 2ss
All boxes are checked on this one, could not add anything more except more stripes.

MSRP IS $72,000. Not even close to $85k CDN.
Speak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:07 AM   #14
dfxrte

Drives: 22 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exia View Post
I'm also Canadian and a base ZL1 comes in at 74k and it comes with everything. Maybe they want an auto and a sunroof? sure, but it still now barely scratches 85k after taxes.

I'd still like to know how OP got a 2SS to about 75k MSRP, because really, just get a ZL1 at that point.

I figured that was a mistake LOL. Imagine paying 85K for a 2SS...
dfxrte is offline   Reply With Quote