Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-14-2021, 11:17 PM   #1
eric sakai

Drives: 2015
A/C Actuator/Door

Took 2015 SSRS to small shop.
Mechanic was not sure if actuator or door. It would have some cold air when engine cold but later becomes not cold air.
Mechanic disconnected heater hose to engine block.
Now no warm air but have nice cold air for a little while then not as cold air other times, as if actuator or door is faulty.
Question: if I go to Chevy dealership how well can they fit it, so that it blows nice cold air like a fairly new car?
Also, does the A/C last longer if never turned off, and never use heater?
For me seems too cold winter time in Hawaii at 5am.
Aloha,
Eric
eric sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:21 AM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
The actuator door fix at dealer will involve major surgery on the car, including dash removal and likely windshield removal. Expect a very large bill. There are various shortcuts that can be taken throughout this forum.

A popular theory on here is that the less you cycle the ac/heat the longer it will last. Also some recommend to not turn the AC to final coldest position.

I just checked on temperature this week for Honolulu this week and a low of 64 and a high of 80. Those are the exact ranges I turn off the heater and ac.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:09 AM   #3
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
And they replace it with the same wonderfully under engineered plastic door.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:35 AM   #4
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric sakai View Post
Took 2015 SSRS to small shop.
Mechanic was not sure if actuator or door. It would have some cold air when engine cold but later becomes not cold air.
Mechanic disconnected heater hose to engine block.
Now no warm air but have nice cold air for a little while then not as cold air other times, as if actuator or door is faulty.
Question: if I go to Chevy dealership how well can they fit it, so that it blows nice cold air like a fairly new car?
Also, does the A/C last longer if never turned off, and never use heater?
For me seems too cold winter time in Hawaii at 5am.
Aloha,
Eric
I have a 2012 SS with 156k on it and my blend door broke last summer. I new the dash had to come out and if you don't feel like crawling under the dash and hacking the heck out of the plastic piece that holds the blend door in then the dash has to come out. And I'm very mechanicly inclined but I don't have the patience to take out the whole dash. I went ahead and took it to the dealer and let them do it. They had to remove the dash and windshield. They have to remove the windshield because there is a bolt right below the windshield that can't come out with the windshield in place. I've heard there is a way to get the bolt out without removing the windshield but I'm not sure how. I had a big crack across my windshield do they said they wouldn't do it unless I replaced the windshield at the same time. And I needed a new windshield anyway and it cost more for the heads up display (like $600). Anyway I figured the first blend door lasted 155k so long went ahead and bit the bullet and $2300 later it's done.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 04:43 PM   #5
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
For about $30 and an hour worth of time you can make a tiny access door that will allow simple replacement of the blend door.

A Bonus is the access panel opening made is neatly in an area nobody can see. This vid shows the technique. https://youtu.be/K0jajaoc-ro
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:57 PM   #6
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I have a 2012 SS with 156k on it and my blend door broke last summer. I new the dash had to come out and if you don't feel like crawling under the dash and hacking the heck out of the plastic piece that holds the blend door in then the dash has to come out. And I'm very mechanicly inclined but I don't have the patience to take out the whole dash. I went ahead and took it to the dealer and let them do it. They had to remove the dash and windshield. They have to remove the windshield because there is a bolt right below the windshield that can't come out with the windshield in place. I've heard there is a way to get the bolt out without removing the windshield but I'm not sure how. I had a big crack across my windshield do they said they wouldn't do it unless I replaced the windshield at the same time. And I needed a new windshield anyway and it cost more for the heads up display (like $600). Anyway I figured the first blend door lasted 155k so long went ahead and bit the bullet and $2300 later it's done.
The bolt extends approximately 1/2 inch further down than necessary to retain the dash, and you can't remove it because the windshield doesn't allow it to be extracted completely. The hack: Cut off the 1/2 inch of length that is beyond the retaining nut, then the bolt can be extracted without removing the windshield. (Tell me the engineers aren't in cahoots with the service departments!)

Last edited by RJT Impala; 01-15-2021 at 09:10 PM.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:29 AM   #7
morepowerjoe

For one thing it's not $3500 it's more like $1800. I don't know how much it is in Hawaii but that's what the dealer here in Texas charged me. And I'm not sure but I think it takes a little longer than a hour unless someone on here can confirm that.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Old 01-16-2021, 08:30 AM   #8
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
This thing is my nightmare. It’s like a tranny R&R, cost wise, for that BS plastic door. Is there any truth to the NOT turning the temp dial all the way to the cold blue dot thing?
Old 01-16-2021, 09:03 AM   #9
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
My understanding is every time you turn the key on it cycles the door. I set mine two notches short of full cold and unplugged it. I could plug it back in once just to change settings for the season but it's not a DD.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:07 AM   #10
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
This thing is my nightmare. It’s like a tranny R&R, cost wise, for that BS plastic door. Is there any truth to the NOT turning the temp dial all the way to the cold blue dot thing?
That’s where I keep mine. Seems to be doing the job.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:22 AM   #11
Nailbender

Drives: Chevy Camaro hwse 2018 GMC Sierra 1
How do you unplug it?
Nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:54 PM   #12
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
I know man. I had read about this constantly and silently took solace in the fact that it had not affected me. I was convinced this would never be 'my' problem.

Then I blew my L99 and let the car sit for 4 months. The AC worked great before I blew the engine. But I guess letting it sit for that long with it turned to max cold caused issues with the blend door, because after I swapped in the new engine I had no AC. The door somehow broke while the freaking car was just sitting there.

I wound up doing the cheap fix by cutting a door into the airbox. The main benefit of this is that if it happens again it will be a 1 hour repair since the door is already there now. I am considering buying up a few of the blend doors though, as GM has a nasty habit of discontinuing much needed parts.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:54 PM   #13
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
I know man. I had read about this constantly and silently took solace in the fact that it had not affected me. I was convinced this would never be 'my' problem.

Then I blew my L99 and let the car sit for 4 months. The AC worked great before I blew the engine. But I guess letting it sit for that long with it turned to max cold caused issues with the blend door, because after I swapped in the new engine I had no AC. The door somehow broke while the freaking car was just sitting there.

I wound up doing the cheap fix by cutting a door into the airbox. The main benefit of this is that if it happens again it will be a 1 hour repair since the door is already there now. I am considering buying up a few of the blend doors though, as GM has a nasty habit of discontinuing much needed parts.

Yeah I hated to pay the dealer that much money to do it but was afraid I was going to screw something up. I'll give it to you for having the guts to do it. I guess if you feel comfortable doing it go for it. Like I said I partly did it because I needed a new windshield anyway.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:58 AM   #14
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Is there any truth to the NOT turning the temp dial all the way to the cold blue dot thing?

There's a video in the Blend Door thread that seems to show the validity of this idea. I live in Southern Indiana where the summers aren't scorching hot. As such, I never touch the AC unless my wife is in the car (which isn't often because she hates how low it sits and how I drive), but I never put it anywhere near the Max AC setting regardless. It's open windows for me in the summer.
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote