Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-25-2018, 11:58 PM   #1
Sboston4

Drives: '17 LT Nightfall Grey
Camaro drives without key fob!

So this is embarrassing to share but hopefully I can help someone from doing what I did.

I drove the car an hour away to do laps for charity at Texas Motor Speedway.

Got to the track, shut the car off while checking in and waiting to go to the track and low and behold when I went to start the car I got a message on the display, "No Key Fob Detected."

Somewhere between moving cars in the garage and driveway at home, I set the key fob in the garage thinking it was the key to the Malibu that I had to move to get the Camaro out. It was the Camaro key. The key fobs are identical, even had the exact same dealer key chains on them so it was an easy mistake to make.

The car drove all the way to the track and I never got a warning or anything.

I called OnStar and all they could do was offer to tow me.

Seems like a flaw in the design but I actually had three other people tell me that day while I waited for my key to be delivered (thanks dad, still saving my butt at 43 years old) that they have done the same thing.

The Camaro fobs no longer have a keychain and the Malibu fobs do to keep me straight and from ever doing this again.

I hope this helps keep someone else from making this mistake.

Embarrassing
Old 07-26-2018, 12:06 AM   #2
donaldp

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1 M6
As i've always said, Keyless start is the stupidest modern feature of any car that has it. Between this and exiting the car without the key and having it honk at me, to no place to put it if you don't keep it in your pocket. I would value key ignitions coming back.
donaldp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:13 AM   #3
somedude

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT Convertible Auto V6
I knew this would happen Should have started a new thread on this issue because its hard to find my post, but check it out Page #6 post #80 My friends 2017 Mustang will not move out of Park if the FOB is not inside the car, stupid flaw on Chevy's part

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=448599&page=6

Last edited by somedude; 07-26-2018 at 01:24 AM.
somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:25 AM   #4
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldp View Post
As i've always said, Keyless start is the stupidest modern feature of any car that has it. Between this and exiting the car without the key and having it honk at me, to no place to put it if you don't keep it in your pocket. I would value key ignitions coming back.
Preach
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:47 AM   #5
CamaroSS50

Drives: 2017 Camaro Convertible SS Fifty
I have many concerns with this.

Heck, someone could simply jump in the car if you are outside the vehicle, say in the trunk, or maybe just barely walking away, open the door and drive off.

I do not see any safe guards to prevent this.

CamaroSS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:59 AM   #6
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
I've had 4 cars, including this one that does the same thing. you can crank the car, but once cranked you could literally smash the key and the car would drive and do everything until you turned it off 1 time.

I consider this a non issue. anywhere I would crank my car and get out with it still running, I would just as easily get out with the cranking key still in the ignition.

the one thing I do like about my camaro that no other car I've owned will do, is I can crank it, then lock the doors with the key. every other vehicle I have wouldn't even let me lock the doors once it's started, unless I'm in it, with the key.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:05 AM   #7
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
This is one thing I do not like about keyless ignition. I agree, there should be some kind of major warning when you try to drive away without the key inside the car. If anything, it should mute the radio and come up with a big warning on the DIC that the key is not in proximity, vehicle cannot be restarted once shut down, and a fast, loud seatbelt chime should stay on continuously.

Or, the car should simply shut down if you try to drive without the key.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:13 AM   #8
Sboston4

Drives: '17 LT Nightfall Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by somedude View Post
I knew this would happen Should have started a new thread on this issue because its hard to find my post, but check it out Page #6 post #80 My friends 2017 Mustang will not move out of Park if the FOB is not inside the car, stupid flaw on Chevy's part

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=448599&page=6
Thanks for posting this link. I figured someone else had seen this scenario too. If there was a warning, I sure missed it.

Someone told me that is their car (non-Camaro), they get a message and a chime that won’t go away, much like you get when driving without a seat belt.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:25 AM   #9
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Sounds like user error.

On previous FORD product, it woudl put warning on DIC that there was no key fob in the car.. and message would not go away.

Sounds like something easily fixed with some Dykem ink pens... camaro, red keyfob.

There is also those silicon solor keyfob skins.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:45 AM   #10
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Camaro drives without key fob!

Every car with keyless start will drive without the key. Although they're supposed to warn you when the key isn't detected, if you get in the habit of keeping it in your pocket this won't happen.
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:45 AM   #11
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
No issues but I can see how this happens only difference is my key fob shows the convertible top and the others show a lift gate. But in a rush I can see this easily happening.

I do agree the car should not be able to drive away if the keyfob is not w/in say 100-200 ft of the vehicle and this does seem to be a flaw IMHO. Like others have said anyone could hop in your car and drive away.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:46 AM   #12
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
My Nissan 2012 Maxima would shut off if you went more than 200 feet away from the car with the key FOB in your pocket.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:50 AM   #13
97cavy22

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
I did the same exact thing as you and was shocked it drove normal without any warning messages. It is a pointless feature though I can’t stand when I get out of the car after I started to grab something and it starts beeping at me. I struggle to find the benefit over using a traditional key
97cavy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:52 AM   #14
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post
My Nissan 2012 Maxima would shut off if you went more than 200 feet away from the car with the key FOB in your pocket.
Problem is that could be dangerous. What if you have your key in your garage and you pull out into the road. And suddenly your car shuts off. Hope there's no traffic . . .

My other cars that have this all warn you (beeps) if your key is outside the car - the Camaro doesn't, which I agree is an oversight.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote