Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-09-2018, 09:43 PM   #15
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6 softtop View Post
The tires are perfectly fine under 40. I've driven mine at 15 degrees they were fine obviously not the best for hole shots or high speed cornering but for normal driving perfectly fine
You don't have any splits in them? I heard the tread cracks if driven below 20 degrees and below 40 degrees they slip all over the place even at slow speeds. One member had a thread about hitting a guard rail at 30mph in cold dry weather.
Magnum922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:53 PM   #16
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum922 View Post
You don't have any splits in them? I heard the tread cracks if driven below 20 degrees and below 40 degrees they slip all over the place even at slow speeds. One member had a thread about hitting a guard rail at 30mph in cold dry weather.
They can crack below 20, just because you are driving and 20 is the outside air temp does not mean the tires are at 20, road may be heated from radiation, tires may be a few degrees warmer from friction. The opposite can easily be true tough, they could be cold soaked below 20 degrees even though that is the outside temp and the road surface could be significantly colder than 20.

High performance tires do not do well when it gets cold. The higher performance tire, the more this is exaggerated. We have very high performance tires on these 1LEs, so IMO one should not be screwing around with real cold temperatures. This limits you more unless you get a winter setup, but if your winter goes this low regularly, get the winter setup, or keep it a garage. If it doesn't get that cold regularly, just don't drive it when it's that cold. Bringing the performance to the pricepoint of the 1LE is amazing, but performance that high comes with some compromises. This isn't like the SS or even V6 model that people are out there driving on all-seasons.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:09 AM   #17
Finkleson

Drives: 16 2ss, NPP, MRC, Sunroof, Grey A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
Thinking about the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06. I've seen them mentioned on here several times.
I've replaced my Eagle F1 with these. I daily drive my car and don't think i'd drag or track it (Yet). So far its the best bang for your buck
Finkleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #18
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
They can crack below 20, just because you are driving and 20 is the outside air temp does not mean the tires are at 20, road may be heated from radiation, tires may be a few degrees warmer from friction.
As stated, the degree of trouble depends on exact conditions. When it is 30 outside, my garage is 40 overnight, so driving to work in the 30's posed no problems (tires still warm). Driving home at day's end, when both road and tires were in the 30's posed an entirely different scenario. I park on a lot that was sealed 2 years ago, and the run-flats would slip. Maybe easier to notice because I have a manual. On older asphalt it was not as noticeable, but I would not trust it once I realized what was going on.

Bought a set of stock SS wheels off ebay and General AS-05's off tirerack. These went on in November. I have been driving them in single digit temps for the past 2 weeks without issue.

As I reported elsewhere I measured cabin noise with stock run-flats vs the generals and noticed a drop in SPL from 70 to 66 dB with the new tires over identical road surfaces. I did not attempt to break these measurements down by frequency. Subjectively, there was no question in my mind the run-flats were louder, but I thought I would back up my impression with some objective measurements.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #19
JWhiteSC

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
I just bought the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 for my 2016 2SS and so far they have been great. They seem to smooth out minor road imperfections and produce way less noise.

Last edited by JWhiteSC; 01-10-2018 at 08:42 AM. Reason: spelling
JWhiteSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #20
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Replaced them with BFG Comp 2 A/S in 285f/305r and love them. Don't care about the minimal performance loss, I don't drive my car at the limit. I do care about being able to drive it in New England when it gets cold.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:30 AM   #21
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
Replaced them with BFG Comp 2 A/S...
These were my first pick, but apparently no longer available in stock sizes for the SS. I am happy with the generals which are a slightly newer design and were cheaper. Not sure if they have been tested side-by-side with the Comp 2's yet. Both BFG and General offer the $70 rebate at different times of the year. I always try to anticipate my tire needs to time with the rebates. Cheapness is paramount in my world.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:39 AM   #22
Blu Beast
Third Chrome Wheel

Drives: 2024 RBM 2SS, Mag, NPP, Sunroof
I just put on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and I have to say, 1000x better than the stockers.....which by the way were shit after 20,000 highway miles and were part of the reason I threw my car into the retaining wall on the only snow day here in Tx.
Blu Beast is offline   Reply With Quote