Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: All-season Tire Choice
General G-Max AS-03 1 50.00%
Yokohama Parada Spec-X 0 0%
Other 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
xtreme3881

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS / 10 Escalade
Continental DWS drift right, looking for opinions

CLOSED - ISSUE FIXED BY RE-BALANCING, AND FLIPPING THE RIGHT TIRE TO THE LEFT.

Hello guys and gals! OK, before you read what I wrote bellow take into consideration what I say in the next few sentences. My Camaro has 235 miles on it. It drove perfectly straight with the stock tires on them until I changed to DWS. Now with the DWS's it has a "VERY SLIGHT" drift to the right. Keep in mind I have DWS's on my 08 Corvette, and 09 Jeep SRT8. The Jeep had the same issue as the Camaro. I took both the Jeep and Camaro in for an alignment, and both where within spec. Chevy dealership did realize the slight drift, but said its probably just a radial pull. So when I got home I started doing some readings online and found "MANY" owners are having problems with these tires either drifting right or left, and after many alignments they finally switched them out, and the car drove perfectly straight.

Search results
Google Search Results

Sorry I know this is long, but what I said above I still love the DWS's as I feel they are the best tires I have owned when compared to driving all-season in the Midwest. Its just very fatiguing driving on the highway for more then 30 mins. Without much or a resolution other then swapping them out I wanted to let you know my experiences encase other people search Google they will find all this detail. OK, so now for the details below.

Things tested
  1. Checked air pressure
  2. Checked Alignment
  3. Tested on flat surfaces
  4. Checked to see if my rims where dented in tire mount
  5. Had the wife confirm over my OCD
  6. Stock tire sizes 245/45/20 - 275/40/20

I have contacted Rudy in a private message on our forums since all my tires where ordered through tirerack.com, and what are my best options in getting them replaced.

Now I'm looking for what I should choose as my next tire?

I'm between the following
  1. General G-Max AS-03
  2. Yokohama Parada Spec-X

I drive very little each day maybe 3-5 miles to work and back. I do live in Illinois, so I like to have a nice All-season tire for snow, ice, wet...etc. I normally don't drive in the snow, but if it happens I don't want to be stuck.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this message. I'm trying to add a poll so users can vote on my choices as well. Remember if tirerack.com doesn't sell it, I will not be able to get tires you suggest outside my list, but open to other brands as well.

John

Last edited by xtreme3881; 04-09-2012 at 03:08 PM.
xtreme3881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
There is a very in depth tire pull article on Tire Rack. Have you run through the troubleshooting? No guarantee that another brand of tire won't do the same thing. I have seen tire pull with just about every major brand out there. If you really like the DWS, I wouldn't give up untill you have run through the troubleshooting for a tire pull. Other than that, I have heard the G-Max is a good tire, but I'm still on original tires.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
xtreme3881

Yeah, I did see that article, and more then any other tire I have reviewed the DWS's have this issue the most. Considering I own 3 sets for 3 different cars, and the do it on 2 of 3. Thanks for the post, and I will see if I can find more info. Trust me the last thing I want to do is take tires off, send tires back, place tires back on and be in the same boat
Old 04-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
xtreme3881

Oh, I wanted to add at lunch I'm having the tires swapped around. So LF to RF, and see if it now goes left. Then that would lead to a bad tire, and not all 4.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
I have the DWS on my Camaro and never noticed a drift to the right. But that may be because I tend to drift to the right myself anyway...

Won't normal road crown make a car pull slightly to the right anyway?

Tags
2012 camaro, continental, drift right, dws