Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 01-08-2021, 02:55 PM   #1
zupesterLT1
2018 Convertible ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Convertible
Will a catch can void my new car warranty?

Will the installation of a mishimoto catch can void my new car warrant? Dealer likes to give the impression that any modification under the hood could result in my forfeiting my new car warranty. (see my thread on CAI)
Attached Images

zupesterLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:16 PM   #2
mrkyleman

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
It is easy to put on and take off. Just uninstall when bringing the car in for work.
mrkyleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:45 PM   #3
Brettc83

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1ss
Depends in the dealer. They'd be stupid to turn away warranty work just because of a catch can
Brettc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:41 PM   #4
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
It shouldn't, but if the dealer wants to be a dick, honestly they would really need to prove that the catch can caused the problem... On that note, they are easy to install and remove, I took mine in for an ECO flash after I had an issue and I removed my catch can prior, just to avoid any issues... The Mishimoto looks so factory, honestly, unless they work on Camaro's all the time, I doubt they'd even notice (mine has the Black Strut Tower brace so my catch can is even more hidden)...

Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:50 AM   #5
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
the dealer doesnt have to prove anything. you have to prove it didnt at your expense. The dealer can void it. Some dealers have no idea what a catch can is. If its not in the GM accessories catalog they think its going to blow the car up. Ask your dealer if they care. If they know anything about cars they will be fine with it. If not and they tell you it will void it just remove it. If you need any warranty work or take it to the dealer for maintenance take it off. Dont feel its dishonest. They are being dishonest by telling you it will void it.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:28 AM   #6
zupesterLT1
2018 Convertible ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Convertible
Thanks, for the insight. I will install it and remove it before I take it into the dealer for work..
zupesterLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:52 AM   #7
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
There is no reason to use a CC on a NA street driven vehicle. You will not get deposits that affect anything with today's motors. If your car dies on the road and is taken direct to a dealer there is a very good chance Chevy will deny any warranty claim. There are no upsides to doing this, only a waste of money and potential for a denied warranty claim.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:23 PM   #8
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Yea, forget about a CC. I'm not yet convinced mine needs one.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:35 PM   #9
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
There is no reason to use a CC on a NA street driven vehicle. You will not get deposits that affect anything with today's motors. If your car dies on the road and is taken direct to a dealer there is a very good chance Chevy will deny any warranty claim. There are no upsides to doing this, only a waste of money and potential for a denied warranty claim.
I keep whatever tools I need to remove the Catch Can in my car, while I'm waiting for AAA I'd be taking the Catch Can off...

Mine Mishimoto Catch Can caught this much oil in about 400-500 miles... Not insignificant...

Even if it only reduces any potential buildup on the valves by 50%, that is still a significant reduction (I'm guessing the real number will be closer to a 75% reduction)...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:04 PM   #10
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
a catch can is definitely needed. especially on DI motors. all that oil burns onto the valves and doesnt get washed off. thats why GM recommends having them cleaned every ( i forget how many miles).
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:17 PM   #11
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
a catch can is definitely needed. especially on DI motors. all that oil burns onto the valves and doesnt get washed off. thats why GM recommends having them cleaned every ( i forget how many miles).
Really? I'd be interested to see that recommendation.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:52 PM   #12
RWT

Drives: 2020 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zupesterLT1 View Post
Will the installation of a mishimoto catch can void my new car warrant? Dealer likes to give the impression that any modification under the hood could result in my forfeiting my new car warranty. (see my thread on CAI)
Without debating the usefulness, or lack thereof, of a catch can.The answer to your warranty question is, maybe. It is a modification to the PCV system after all.

If your dealership chooses to, they can essentially ignore any modification (relevant or not) and honor the warranty and complete any repairs. However, sometimes GM requires a full diagnostic download before honoring a specific warranty repair. Then they will use any anomaly found that can be contributed to a modification to deny the warranty. Anything you do that causes your car to work outside the original factory engineered parameters can be used as an excuse.

When you add a catch can, is the PCV system working as designed and engineered by GM? For example; Blown seal? That's because your catch can caused an increase in internal engine pressure due to the modification of the crankcase ventilation system. Warranty denied! Although it defies logic that your catch can would do that, it's a modification to the system that can be used as an excuse to deny your claim.

***I am not saying anything like that will, or will not, happen, I am just using this as a hypothetical scenario to illustrate a point.***

Now this thread about warranty coverage can continue its spiral into a discussion of the effectiveness of a catch can as almost all threads that mention a catch can do.

JMHO
No expertise implied or expressed

2020 Camaro RS, V6, 6MT, Satin Steel
2020 Silverado, 5.3L CC, RST, Z71, Shadow Gray
2019 Equinox LS, 1.5L Turbo, Nightfall Gray Metallic
RWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:09 PM   #13
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Really? I'd be interested to see that recommendation.
remove your throttle body and then tell us how catch cans are not necessary.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:12 PM   #14
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
remove your throttle body and then tell us how catch cans are not necessary.
My intake was fine.

Factory installs an oil mist seperator....

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote