Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-15-2020, 02:48 PM   #1
NorCalLT1

Drives: SS
Stripped heads from IM help

Recently my car was running like it had a vacuum leak. I have the MSD IM so i decided to check the bolts and there were some loose ones that i retorqued. However there were 2 of the longer bolts that bolt it to the head and im pretty sure they are stripped. I was retorquing them then they stopped getting tighter, so i stopped. I have not taken off the manifold yet but if they are stripped, what can be done about this?

thank you
NorCalLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 04:45 PM   #2
NorCalLT1

Well i just removed the manifold and now im confused. I could not see any visible damage to any of the threads in the head or the bolts going into the head. i attached a couple pics of the threads and the corresponding bolts. I havent cleaned any of the bolts so there is dried loctite on them. im not sure where to go next.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2020, 04:53 PM   #3
NYblack1le

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Did you try threading the bolts into the head without the intake manifold ?
NYblack1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 04:53 PM   #4
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
The IM bolts require a deceptively little torque (in/lbs) and a good torque wrench. MSD provides very good instructs for installation. Good luck and don't use a dorque wrench on this one! They also recommend you use blue loc-tite on the IM bolts.
https://documents.holley.com/frm3355...4_bxw_0718.pdf

BTW- did you replace the foam noise insulation under the OEM IM? I did not on mine and have had no issues with sealing, etc... and it was easier to line up and re-install.

Last edited by Ventmaster; 12-15-2020 at 05:09 PM.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 05:44 PM   #5
NorCalLT1

I did try threading the bolts right into the head and they seemed fine. I didn't torque them to spec but I snugg them up. Also I did remove the factory heat shield and used the high temp adhesive deflecting material. I also used the msd instructions and torqued everything to 75 in lbs or 89 in lbs. So im at a loss right now
Old 12-15-2020, 06:26 PM   #6
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
did you check the bolts holding the manifold together? ive done 2 of them and i did not like how the manifold went together. gaps and several areas that simply would not mesh and look presentable.

since we're on the subject, i'm not a huge fan of the msd manifold. if it didn't make power id throw it in the trash can. its too expensive to have such shit quality.

im asking bc i noticed the manifold kind of popped and fell into place when i did both of mine. i went around the intake-cyl head bolts several times before i was happy with it. so far neither one i put on has had any issues.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:00 PM   #7
NorCalLT1

s346k i completely agree with you. i hate how it goes together too. all wavy with gaps. of course the bolts that go into the head help seal all that up but its still suspect. the allen heads that keep it together could possibly be the culprit for the vacuum leak but in my case it doesnt explain why the bolt holding it to the head keeps spinning. I initially thought maybe it was really loose and needed to compress everything again but i turned that bolt so many times it should have tightened up. also, it got tight to a point then just stopped getting tight, thats why i thought it was stripped.