Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-23-2021, 01:50 PM   #15
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
It’s funny you bring this up. I just woke up to a flat rear passenger side tire this morning. Brand new tire and perfect tread and two nails punctured it in the same spot in the repairable area making it unrepairable due to the hole being too large.

I have an air compressor at home so I can always refill it but I’m going to have to replace the tire.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:19 PM   #16
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
+1

I have the kit in my ZL1 trunk nearly everywhere I go. Doesn’t take long to change a wheel and don’t have to worry about having the front end scraped up while loaded onto the flatbed.
Does it fit within the well below the floorboard? I have a Vert, the trunk is only big enough for a Playmate cooler and a small duffel bag! If I get a flat and change it with a spare, I'd have to put the normal wheel/tire in the backseat!
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:17 PM   #17
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
Does it fit within the well below the floorboard? I have a Vert, the trunk is only big enough for a Playmate cooler and a small duffel bag! If I get a flat and change it with a spare, I'd have to put the normal wheel/tire in the backseat!
Unfortunately no it won’t.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:39 PM   #18
sschons74

Drives: 16 Camaro 1SS & 82 Silverado C10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
Yes, you could carry a clean empty large plastic bag, like construction trash bag to put your wheel in so not to scuff backseat. I keep gloves in trunk now too to keep your hands clean up getting back in. I saw someone else here had this spare. To me it's worth the peace of mind, even if makes car heavier & slower. I have had to change a couple tires it's not hard if you have a lug wrench, jack & good spare.

Good point about the verts I can't imagine a trunk w less height than mine. Our trunk is big just narrow opening, but I can get this spare in easy and still have about 10" of height inside, I'll measure.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:00 PM   #19
TP2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschons74 View Post
Yes, you could carry a clean empty large plastic bag, like construction trash bag to put your wheel in so not to scuff backseat. I keep gloves in trunk now too to keep your hands clean up getting back in. I saw someone else here had this spare. To me it's worth the peace of mind, even if makes car heavier & slower. I have had to change a couple tires it's not hard if you have a lug wrench, jack & good spare.

Good point about the verts I can't imagine a trunk w less height than mine. Our trunk is big just narrow opening, but I can get this spare in easy and still have about 10" of height inside, I'll measure.
The vert trunk is probably as wide as a coupe since they both have the batt back there and whatever else is on the left. The vert issue is the top retracts into the front part of the trunk. When it's up you can fold a divider down and probably have the same size as a coupe. To put it down you have to put up the divider and it has a proximity sensor that won't allow you to put the top down unless that divider is in place. The top then takes up all the space forward of that divider, right down to the floor (almost, I keep my rear seat wind screen bag there, and could probably fit the windscreen itself, folded up, under the retracted top...but why would I?!). If the spare fit all the way into the well, it would work, and would just have to put the flat full-size takeoff in the trunk with the top up, or in the backseat with the top down.

You can get two Playmate coolers in the trunk with the top down, that's it!

The problem for me is that I bought the car for fun and to take drives to places like northern Michigan. I don't want to be caught with a flat where it could take hours to get help, or rely on run-flats for hundreds of miles to get somewhere where a shop has the right equipment or even have the right 275/245-20's to replace. I seriously doubt many places in Michigan's U.P. carry tires like ours in stock!
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
Old 01-23-2021, 04:11 PM   #20
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Gonna have to replace it with an electric car pretty soon anyway, so probably just abandon it and Uber it home.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:25 PM   #21
az4783054

Drives: SWXXZL1
Complete tire plug kit, small compressor, aluminum scissors jack, ZL1 ADDONS pucks, and a complete tool bag. I've always carried this stuff in my four Corvettes and now the ZL1. Luckily, never had to use them. Better to have it and not need it...
Old 01-23-2021, 04:28 PM   #22
sschons74

1SS coupe trunk, about 10 in above modern compact spare. Too bad Chevy didn't make a well deep enough for a spare. I like the principle of run flats, they just felt like rolling on wooden barrels to me.

I can still pack a lot of soft travel bags in there or groceries. In hibernation now though.

I put the compact jack under the floor.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2021, 04:42 PM   #23
az4783054

Drives: SWXXZL1
What is the OD of that aftermarket spare vs the oem rear tire? If different by to much, having to use it might have a negative effect on the rear end, would it not?
Old 01-23-2021, 05:08 PM   #24
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
plug kit,inflator,and triple A card /cellphone if all else fails.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:28 PM   #25
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Cell phone and AAA. I am now going to jinx myself for saying this, but in all my years of driving I have not yet once been stranded on the side of the road with a flat tire.
My favorite story about AAA is having a dead battery at a rest stop on the NY Thruway late at night. I called AAA, and they said "We don't do the Thruway. They have their own road service so here's their number. Call them. I did. No answer. Apparently the Thruway keeps regular business hours.

Then I remembered the old trick of turning on the headlights for 30 seconds to stimulate the battery. I got the car started...just barely, and got the battery replaced in the morning.

If I'de had a flat, I would have been stuck until the next morning...with wife and kids, BTW.

So...my advice is, if you have a garage queen and the drag strip is around the corner, then fine, get rid of the run-flats. Otherwise, don't.

I have carried a full sized spare strapped down in the trunk of my Gen5, but I understand the Gen6 doesn't have the steel tie downs and maybe a full sized tire doesn't even fit.

When this pandemic shit is over and I resume road trips in my Gen5, I'm gonna throw some run flats on it.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:56 PM   #26
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
I carry a plug kit and a small air compressor. If that wont get it done, will have to call a flatbed.
That is what i did in my C6 Vette after i went to the Pilot non run flats. I will do the same once i wear down the run flats on my LT1.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:29 PM   #27
sschons74

Quote:
Originally Posted by az4783054 View Post
What is the OD of that aftermarket spare vs the oem rear tire? If different by to much, having to use it might have a negative effect on the rear end, would it not?
Good point about the LSD and tire sizes, I checked, the modern spare is about 26" dia. but my stock tire rear is about 27" dia. If I had a rear flat, I would put spare on front and move front to back, to not toast the LSD limping home. I changed my diff fluid around 2k miles and it was dark and thick, looked like fine material in it. I changed again around 15k and it seemed almost clear still, maybe didn't need change then.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:00 PM   #28
TP2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschons74 View Post
Good point about the LSD and tire sizes, I checked, the modern spare is about 26" dia. but my stock tire rear is about 27" dia. If I had a rear flat, I would put spare on front and move front to back, to not toast the LSD limping home. I changed my diff fluid around 2k miles and it was dark and thick, looked like fine material in it. I changed again around 15k and it seemed almost clear still, maybe didn't need change then.
Not sure you could do that with the wheel offset. I know you can’t do a square setup without spacers but unsure if it’s due to fronts not working in back or backs not working on front. 1” dia difference may not be enough to toast the LSD. It is capable of slipping after all, because it does it every time around a corner, and to much more degree than a 1” dia diff would cause.

Looks like I’m stuck with RoF’s or the emergency kit for non-RoF’s for my vert. Haven’t had a flat in many many years until last summer when my XT5 picked up a pointed lag bolt just before I got on a freeway. Had to change it out in a parking lot as it went fast after the bolt ejected itself! Luckily made it to an exit before all the air was gone!
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes