Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 03-12-2020, 02:27 PM   #1
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
long tube headers install, how difficult

How difficult is it to install headers? I've heard that the engine needs to be lifted off of its mounts. I know it is always difficult. But here in California they are basically illegal. Can they be changed out and back when smog testing is required.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:28 PM   #2
Bohanan23

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
Should be able to stab them in from under the car. That's what I'm going to do.
Bohanan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:21 PM   #3
cirpower

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Took me approximately 8 hours at home in my garage. Lots of videos out there on how it is done. I would say it is not that difficult, but you should have some wrenching experience.
cirpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:22 PM   #4
cirpower

Drives: Camaro ZL1
I forgot, I installed Kooks 2 inch and they went in from underneath without lifting the engine. However, I had to unbolt the steering shaft on the left and remove the starter on the right. Getting both of these back into place was painful...
cirpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:46 PM   #5
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirpower View Post
I forgot, I installed Kooks 2 inch and they went in from underneath without lifting the engine. However, I had to unbolt the steering shaft on the left and remove the starter on the right. Getting both of these back into place was painful...
Yep same here, except I installed 1-7/8, removed same items and installed using a Quick Jack.
The passenger side was a PITA, but when you get the headers vertical it will go right in...just watch out you don't hit the knock sensor.
You'll also have to remove the dipstick and a few other small parts here and there for clearance.
Some here have the energy to do what you want to do, but for me, I wouldn't do it.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:40 AM   #6
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't see anything definitive on the forum. About header install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKLL View Post
Some here have the energy to do what you want to do, but for me, I wouldn't do it.
In reality, I don't have the energy and I have better things to do with my weekends, But its always a thought.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:36 PM   #7
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
it depends on the make of the headers and when they were made. i installed mine in 2017 on a full size lift and had to remove the pass side motor mount.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:38 PM   #8
DemonZL1

Drives: like a granny
American Racing Headers are the easiest to install on a 6th gen, In My Opinion

they go in without removing engine mounts like other brands.

Anderson composites coupon code : Demon
DemonZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:42 PM   #9
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
i had to remove mine With my 1 7/8 ARH. but they may have redesigned them.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:59 PM   #10
ThirstyDave

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 50th Anniversary
It's not too bad. It's just time consuming. We installed 2" speed engineering headers both from the top. Driver side slid right in. Passenger side had to remove valve cover and heat shield from starter and went right in. I'm in California too, just look for a friendly smog.
ThirstyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:43 PM   #11
Robby23

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
I installed TSP headers last week on jack stands. took me 6 hrs. did removal by myself and had an extra set of hands for install. Only removed steering shaft piece, starter and oil tube on pass side. no need to lift motor mount. If you do it from jack stands i measured from skid plate to floor and was 20 inches and i would say thats the minimum required. I could shave another hour or so off if i had to do it again.
Robby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 03:58 PM   #12
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
Kooks 1 7/8" went right in both sides from underneath on a lift.
50th Anniversary Edition |Borla Atak and 60606 mid pipes| Kooks 1 7/8" | ProCharger Stage II |305/45/17 DRs | Circle D 3500 stall | LT4 fueling | Custom made Lowside Aux Pump | Alky Control Meth | DSX E85
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:04 PM   #13
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby23 View Post
I installed TSP headers last week on jack stands. took me 6 hrs. did removal by myself and had an extra set of hands for install. Only removed steering shaft piece, starter and oil tube on pass side. no need to lift motor mount. If you do it from jack stands i measured from skid plate to floor and was 20 inches and i would say thats the minimum required. I could shave another hour or so off if i had to do it again.
bout my experience too, my two sons did all the work on the first go around and I "inspected". I think I could get it down to 4.5 hours (I don't have the skidplate anymore) one day I'll put it on, kind of like the cover to my computer.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:56 PM   #14
Robby23

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
bout my experience too, my two sons did all the work on the first go around and I "inspected". I think I could get it down to 4.5 hours (I don't have the skidplate anymore) one day I'll put it on, kind of like the cover to my computer.
I seen someone post they just cut the skid plate on the front hook where it pivots down on. So then its only the bolts holding it on. Makes it for easier removal later if you need to take off. I did not cut mine off but to me it wasn't bad taking it off on my big jack stands. If you just have small 3 ton stands or something it would be worthwhile i think.
Robby23 is offline   Reply With Quote