Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-04-2019, 01:38 AM   #1
guitarman8373

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro fully loaded.
Am I the only one who was won over by the HUD?

I know Chevy's use of the HUD has been around for a long time, starting with the Corvette I believe. I am glad they have also incorporated it into their Camaros as well.

Am I the only one that was strongly persuaded more into a Camaro/Corvette because of the HUD, over other performance vehicle manufacturers?

I figured most would have made a HUD standard in this day and age.

Being able to both focus on the road and have access to important information out of the corner of your eye is awesome, to say the least.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:57 AM   #2
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
I thought it was cool on the rental car I had. Would I have it on a car I owned? No.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:51 AM   #3
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
I think every car should have HUD. I added one to my van awhile back. It was a big deal being in Germany since I had US gauges (MPH vs KPH). The HUD allowed me to see my KPH without having to do math on how fast I was going. I have since taken it off and that's because I had it mounted too high. I love having it especially the speed limit and directions being up there when using GPS.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:05 AM   #4
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
My 2SS is the only car that I've had it. I love the convenience and I'm guessing it'll become a common feature on cars in the near future.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:54 AM   #5
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
Agreed. I really missed it when I lost my 2017 and was in a truck for a while. Glad to have it back again. My wife has a Tahoe with the same HUD and she loves it as well.
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:09 AM   #6
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman8373 View Post
I know Chevy's use of the HUD has been around for a long time, starting with the Corvette I believe. I am glad they have also incorporated it into their Camaros as well.

Am I the only one that was strongly persuaded more into a Camaro/Corvette because of the HUD, over other performance vehicle manufacturers?

I figured most would have made a HUD standard in this day and age.

Being able to both focus on the road and have access to important information out of the corner of your eye is awesome, to say the least.
I could be wrong but I believe GM's first cars with HUD were the 1988 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. It was like a $1500 option back in 1988, and only available on the top of the line models. The module was made by aerospace engineering firm Rockwell adapted from their fighter jet technology for automotive use.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:20 AM   #7
LARRY01Z28

Drives: 2001Camaro Z28
I really like it as well. I think it should be on every car
LARRY01Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:27 AM   #8
akelly78

Drives: 2016 Red 2SS
I now find it really inconvenient to take my eyes off of the road to see how fast I'm going whenever I drive someone else's car.
akelly78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:39 AM   #9
Fun

Drives: 2020 V6 Auto 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
I thought it was cool on the rental car I had. Would I have it on a car I owned? No.
Why ?
Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:53 AM   #10
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
I have it on my Z, have it set up to use, but don’t notice on 95% of the time. Having multiple cars and driving the Z infrequently, it’s just one of those things I’m not mentally adept at using (35 years without one doesn’t help) Like my other cars, I gravitate toward the main display. I do think the HUD’s a great feature, once your in tune with it’s benefits.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:18 AM   #11
majik755

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS Fiftieth Anniversary
I love the feature, as said before, no need to take eyes off the road to check the speed. I think it should be in all cars. My friend just bought a Tesla 3 and I can't believe the only place to see his speed is on a screen on the center console. Luckily he has all those extra self braking features...
majik755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:47 AM   #12
camaroJD

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel 1SS 1LE w/ PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
I could be wrong but I believe GM's first cars with HUD were the 1988 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. It was like a $1500 option back in 1988, and only available on the top of the line models. The module was made by aerospace engineering firm Rockwell adapted from their fighter jet technology for automotive use.
I think you are right. I remember my dad having a Grand Prix company car in the early or mid 90s with it. I thought it was so cool (and still do), my first thought was that it felt like being in a fighter jet. I can still remember that car, dark green, bronze wheels and factory bronze painted accents.

I love HUD in my Camaro, I miss it whenever I drive something else. I wouldn't say it swayed me, but the fact it was part of the 1LE package made me very happy. I wish every car had it, but that won't happen. The windshields are much more expensive to allow a surface to project onto.
camaroJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:54 AM   #13
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I like HUD too! It was in my 2016 2SS and now in my 2017 ZL1 and you get used to having it pretty quick. I have mine on the performance screen but still find myself looking down at the DIC to see the speed. Old habits never die it seems especially for us older folks! I agree it should be a standard feature in all cars and trucks on the roads now!
Old 10-04-2019, 08:03 AM   #14
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroJD View Post
The windshields are much more expensive to allow a surface to project onto.
Yeah that is true. If anyone with HUD needs to have their windshield replaced they must get the genuine factory replacement. If they don't have HUD any 3rd party windshield would be fine, but with HUD there's an engineered coating inside the window that is specifically designed for the projection to be clear and focused.

After GM was using the HUD system from Rockwell they brought in the Nightvision system. Late-90s or early-2000s Cadillacs were the first cars with Nightvision combined with head up display.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote