Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-08-2018, 12:29 PM   #29
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSnow View Post
@Bold, Not entirely true. If this situation were to occur, just remove the MicroSD Card and say something like "My SD Card broke and I haven't replaced it yet". Or "I forgot to put it back in after uploading footage to my computer".
Could lead to serious issues with the law. They could subpoena the dash-cam footage. Now, if you have a good lawyer and $$$, you still might be able to avoid the subpoena, but you are now playing with fire as you likely did something very wrong and are trying to fight it. If they find something else that reinforces their side of things while you are fighting the subpoena (like surveillance video, etc.), it's going to look real bad for you in the end. There is definitely something to be said for having no video, but definitely something to be said for protecting yourself too. If you weren't absolutely sure that you were not at fault, it would be best to delete the video immediately. Beware, some electronic devices will keep a certain amount of memory internally. Unfortunately, there are more and more ways for people to track where you were and what you did these days...

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:49 PM   #30
14Black1LESS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
I have the Car and Driver Eye 1 Pro that I got from Best Buy. It works great. With all the traffic in Miami its best to have one just in case.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:06 PM   #31
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred 6528 View Post
If I order the Viofo A119 does this come with everything I need to plug in power source and take off or is there anything else I need?
It has everything you need if you want to plug it into a power outlet. If you want to hardwire it you'll need a few other things.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:18 PM   #32
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by mov View Post
Hey Fred,

I noticed the headlight covers on your car in a previous thread and wanted to ask if you had any problems with law enforcement while driving on VA streets and highways? I live in Fredericksburg, VA and recently purchased a set. Let me know when you have a moment. Thanks!
No issues yet and I’ve rode to Fredericksburg many times also
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #33
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I have an A119 hardwired behind the rear view mirror. Screen is off, been working fine for about a year now if not longer. Not really keeping track.

I'd look at it like this. If you have one and it's not obviously disconnected, then I wouldn't ever delete data from it after any sort of accident or witnessed event. At best that's obstruction unless you can prove that you routinely delete the data in accordance with when you deleted the data in question and failed to notice it was important. Good luck with that.

My suggestion is if you're worried about it capturing something you did that wasn't on the up and up is to not do those things. Dont be at fault and it shouldn't be self incriminating. Resist the urge to post stupid crap online and you'll be golden.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:06 AM   #34
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post

I'd look at it like this. If you have one and it's not obviously disconnected, then I wouldn't ever delete data from it after any sort of accident or witnessed event. At best that's obstruction unless you can prove that you routinely delete the data in accordance with when you deleted the data in question and failed to notice it was important. Good luck with that.
I'd call BS on that. It's your data. You can do with it what you want, when you want. This is not like a police officer's dash-cam which is supposed to be running while they are on duty. Deleting THAT would be obstruction, but your own personal dash-cam? No way that would stand up in court. It might not "look good", but I can't imagine an "obstruction" charge holding up in any reasonable circumstance.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
Old 02-09-2018, 06:21 AM   #35
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
It has everything you need if you want to plug it into a power outlet. If you want to hardwire it you'll need a few other things.
Thanks for that info
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:28 AM   #36
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
You would think Insurance companies would provide discounts to drivers who use dash cams because it seems it would help cut down on false claims and insurance fraud.

Oh wait. Discounts & insurance in the same sentence. Ughh what was I thinking.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:22 PM   #37
misterjaayy

Drives: 2019 CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I'd call BS on that. It's your data. You can do with it what you want, when you want. This is not like a police officer's dash-cam which is supposed to be running while they are on duty. Deleting THAT would be obstruction, but your own personal dash-cam? No way that would stand up in court. It might not "look good", but I can't imagine an "obstruction" charge holding up in any reasonable circumstance.
I'm not sure I agree with this. Once it captures something i.e. an accident, crime, etc, the footage turns into evidence. When people get seriously injured or worse and you have footage, especially if you were involved, it could and most likely would be considered destruction of evidence.

Of course proving you had footage to begin with would be difficult. I suppose it boils down to possessing integrity and honesty.
misterjaayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #38
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaayy View Post
I'm not sure I agree with this. Once it captures something i.e. an accident, crime, etc, the footage turns into evidence. When people get seriously injured or worse and you have footage, especially if you were involved, it could and most likely would be considered destruction of evidence.

Of course proving you had footage to begin with would be difficult. I suppose it boils down to possessing integrity and honesty.
I work for a government agency and conduct investigations, granted, it's not criminal law, it's administrative law, but that's not how we see evidence. Evidence only "exists" when it exists and we gather it. If WE destroy evidence, that could be a huge deal, but how does joe-public know what he has is evidence?, he's not an expert in such things. Law enforcement would have to prove that you deleted it for the purpose of covering something up, this would probably require a written confession or something similar to stand up in court. In other words, it would require it's own "evidence", and just having deleted it is not "evidence" of why you deleted it or what was on it. Not only that, to "prove" obstruction, they'd have to prove the dang thing was up and running in the first place.

The only way I could see this charge ever being used is an over-zealous prosecutor that wants to lean on someone that is accused with a charge they know they can't pursue, but it's not unknown for them to do this in an attempt to get the other person to "fold" and plea to this or a lesser charge, which is where a lawyer comes in. It's unfortunate, but sometimes they try to "make things appear worse". The good prosecutors (and usually most of them) only assign charges they know they can support in court, because they don't want to be made a fool and the laws broken as indicated by the evidence is their job. We get into issues these days with overzealous law enforcement, from the prosecutors to the street policemen, that get into situations where they "think and know" a crime was committed, but they don't have the evidence to prove it. These people can't "let go" of this and the fact that their job is not to act on what they feel, but on the scope of their authority and the law. I probably got pulled over a few years back for exactly this. Was in the left lane, traffic was opening up, speed limit 65, right lane was slowing for an off-ramp back-up. Passed police at 65. Not only had I seen them prior, I was only accelerating to 65 and stopping there, I had my cruise control set, haha. But I probably passed the police by 20-30mph faster than they were going, and they couldn't "stand" to have a black Camaro zoom past them faster than they were going, so they pulled me over, tried to get me to admit I was going too fast, I stood my ground, then they tried to say I was following too close (wasn't, but it was pretty amusing to see them try), and it ended with "well, you should have a front license plate", ok, yep. At that point, he was just "looking for things" that justified pulling me over. He gave me a "warning" by writing "warning" on my registration or something odd, but it was probably because I wasn't just a push-over and he was probably afraid if he made it "official" I'd have better evidence to cite him for an illegal stop.

Some things are very difficult to prove in court though, "obstruction of justice" by deleting your dash-cam would be one, but the existence of the information could cause a subpoena and deleting it AFTER the subpoena might get you into more hot-water. Doing it on your own for your own reasons without a subpoena would be incredibly hard to "prove" in court as obstruction IMO.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
Old 02-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #39
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Back to the general topic, now that some time has passed, what are you guys liking for a dash camera? Has the opinion of any existing user changed? And, are you using one of the ones that looks out the back too?
Old 02-09-2018, 01:52 PM   #40
mov

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro SS
My buddy is a Fairfax County Lt. and told me they are not legal. I really want them for car shows but, I really want them for everyday use as well. Thanks!
mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #41
mov

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred 6528 View Post
No issues yet and I’ve rode to Fredericksburg many times also
What about inspections? Do you have to take them off?
mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:14 PM   #42
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mov View Post
My buddy is a Fairfax County Lt. and told me they are not legal. I really want them for car shows but, I really want them for everyday use as well. Thanks!
Did he tell you what law/code?

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD