Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-01-2017, 12:16 AM   #1
Camman2SS

Drives: 2017 Blue 2SS on Order. Build 4/17
Get Rid of Run Flats - No Spare So ...

I'm with a lot of others in wanting to replace my factory run flat tires with a nice summer performance tire. So how are others dealing with the possibility of getting a flat and no spare? Are those pressure seal in a can products reasonable without side effects like making the tire non-repairable? First car without a spare or donut so looking for some answers from those in the know.
Camman2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:28 AM   #2
'Merica

Drives: 2LT RS
I've never been a fan of Run-Flats. I have had them in two prior cars, and I don't think they're that much of a benefit. Yes, you can "Run-Flat", but good luck finding a tire shop that has Run-Flats in stock. If you're like me, you'll pick up a screw on the weekend, and all shops will be closed regardless.

Don't hold me to this, but I believe you're only supposed to go up to ~60-80 miles on Run-Flats, and at a limited speed. Yes, of course they can be beneficial and get you out of a bad situation. However, the price difference and lack of benefits will always push me to switch to a Non-Run Flat tire as I have on previous vehicles. I have roadside assistance through my insurance, so I would just fall back on that if I ever have an issue.

I personally would never use Fix-A-Flat or any similar products. I have heard too many horror stories, and that it can be PITA when trying to replace the tire.
'Merica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:47 AM   #3
Co2SS

Drives: 2022 Satin Steel ZL1 M6
I had the same concern and it was really the only reason I replaced the rear tires with the OE Goodyears. Now I will replace the fronts with the Pilot 4S and if I get a flat I will have either my auto policy or AAA flatbed it to my dealership. TIRERACK has a warehouse here in Denver where you can order you tires online and pick them up in an hour. I will scoop the new ones up in my Jeep and drive em' to my dealership to mount and balance. Doesn't work that easily if you don't have a Tirerack within driving distance. I guess it is a potential hassle we deal with owning these cars.
Co2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:50 AM   #4
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
I wouldn't use the fix-a-flat stuff but would have no problem with a plug. Most of the manufacturers have published procedures for repairing their run flats. It was in another thread just recently which I can't seem to locate right now.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:24 AM   #5
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camman2SS View Post
I'm with a lot of others in wanting to replace my factory run flat tires with a nice summer performance tire. So how are others dealing with the possibility of getting a flat and no spare? Are those pressure seal in a can products reasonable without side effects like making the tire non-repairable? First car without a spare or donut so looking for some answers from those in the know.
Whats wrong with the run flats? The handle most excellent.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:26 AM   #6
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Merica View Post
I've never been a fan of Run-Flats. I have had them in two prior cars, and I don't think they're that much of a benefit. Yes, you can "Run-Flat", but good luck finding a tire shop that has Run-Flats in stock. If you're like me, you'll pick up a screw on the weekend, and all shops will be closed regardless.

Don't hold me to this, but I believe you're only supposed to go up to ~60-80 miles on Run-Flats, and at a limited speed. Yes, of course they can be beneficial and get you out of a bad situation. However, the price difference and lack of benefits will always push me to switch to a Non-Run Flat tire as I have on previous vehicles. I have roadside assistance through my insurance, so I would just fall back on that if I ever have an issue.

I personally would never use Fix-A-Flat or any similar products. I have heard too many horror stories, and that it can be PITA when trying to replace the tire.

You plug a run flat just like any other tire. I plugged mine months ago and have yet to need to put air in it.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:34 AM   #7
'Merica

Drives: 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
You plug a run flat just like any other tire. I plugged mine months ago and have yet to need to put air in it.
This is only if you're able to repair the tire quickly. If the sidewalls engage, then I don't believe you are technically supposed to plug it at that point. In my case, the tires could not be plugged because the damage was too close to the side wall.
'Merica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:09 AM   #8
Rustydaytons
Account Suspended

Drives: Chevy
What's wrong with run flat?
Rustydaytons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:20 AM   #9
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i keep a plug kit in the trunk.picked it up at wally world just in case.
redcoats1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:53 AM   #10
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustydaytons View Post
What's wrong with run flat?
The rubber is hard and not sticky enough, especially if you are driving in the winter.
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #11
Rustydaytons
Account Suspended

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hprush View Post
The rubber is hard and not sticky enough, especially if you are driving in the winter.
Not sticky enough. So u mean to tell me you can totally tell the difference in taking a turn at 30mph on run flat vs regular,?
Rustydaytons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #12
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hprush View Post
They are summer tires not made to be used during the winter or cool temps.

If your in an accident during winter and have summer tires on r u covered? Not sure, but your insurance company might have something to say about it.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:11 AM   #13
SSTonyHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6M
I just had a flat on my run flats. Drove about 10 miles on it with zero air pressure and got the tire fixed. I’m sure there are better overall tires out there, but its convenient if you do have a flat. I’m not sure what I will replace them with when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SSTonyHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #14
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
With my 2010 1LT, I bought a tire patch kit (ream out hole, glue in sticky thing, etc). Actually used it once rather than use the spare just because, worked well, but it was a nice day, in a parking lot with lots of space. Doing it at night in the rain/snow along the side of a busy highway would be a lot less fun. Plus with these 6th gens you'd need to buy a jack and find somewhere to stow it since there's no designed-in space for it.

I'd prefer a run flat that rode better, but they do give you a lot of flexibility - and I keep another patch kit in the car as well, so if the damage is in the right tread region I can find a safe place to use it to extend the run-flat's range even farther until I can get it patched.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote