Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-19-2020, 06:24 PM   #1
LilyAnna

Drives: 2013 Camaro LFX 2LT
Buzzing resonating sound

Recently I upgraded my exhaust to a 3” custom system all the way from the engine to the exhaust tips and I’m loving the sound and feel of it (some people don’t like the sound of V6s and I respect that). The only downside is that a faint buzz I heard since I got the car has intensified with the exhaust swap, this buzzing comes from the bottom of the car, approximately where’s the front seats are and its indistinct to left or right side. It resonates louder when driving close to a curb, a wall or a tunnel/closed parking lot full of cars. This only happens when hitting the gas while driving not when cruising and I can’t replicate it in park or neutral, definitely can’t heart it with windows up.

No vibrations are felt and the car drives great, for example if I’m driving on the center lane with no curbs close to me or on a highway I can’t hear it, its something that only resonates loudly with a curb or a wall close to me. First time Camaro owner so I wonder if its “normal”? It kind of bothers me, I would much rather listen to my exhaust orchestra alone than that buzz sound bouncing on the curbs.

You can hear the buzz mure clearly at the end of the clip (best I could do, I was the driver and there was a lot of activity around me)

https://youtu.be/MZecUypmLvo
LilyAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:00 PM   #2
Quicksilver2SS

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 NPP
Does it have catalytic converters? Heat shields can buzz like that.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:42 AM   #3
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Are the pipes touching the floor anywhere?
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:55 AM   #4
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Check that the tunnel brace has the spacers and is not touching the exhaust.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:40 AM   #5
LilyAnna

All cats are gone so the only remaining heat shields are the aluminum ones attached to the body and yes, there are spacers. The guy that made and installed the exhaust system walked me through it and even hit the exhaust in several points to confirm it didn’t move or touch anything. I guess I’ll have to put the car back on a ramp to inspect closer in detail
Old 10-20-2020, 08:55 AM   #6
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Well clearly since it only does it while driving and not in park or neutral it can be a positioning issue. The exhaust moves as the engine torque is applied to the driveline. That's why it's in rubber mounts. While you are under there check your tranny and motor mounts too.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:18 AM   #7
LilyAnna

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
Well clearly since it only does it while driving and not in park or neutral it can be a positioning issue. The exhaust moves as the engine torque is applied to the driveline. That's why it's in rubber mounts. While you are under there check your tranny and motor mounts too.
Tranny and engine mounts happen to be brand new and installed a few months ago (the sound was not present when these were installed and I had the old exhaust then) it all pin points to the new exhaust so I’ll try to get it on a ramp soon and check the exhaust positioning *sigh*
Old 10-20-2020, 10:07 AM   #8
11-Camaro

Drives: 11 Camaro SS, Ninja 1000, Santa Fe
I agree with the heat shield possibility. Is it loose in the screw locations or is it touching the exhaust anywhere?
11 Camaro TT SS. 14 1LE motor, full coilover, CNC ported LSA heads, stainless valves, dual springs, Comp 224 cam, Melling oil pump, AGP Garrett GTX30r's, 1400cc injectors, full 3" Magnaflow, dual Walbro 450lph fuel pump, ZL1 6L90 trans, trans cooler, Circle-D 3600, 3.91:1 Eaton Truetrac, line lock, Lingenfelter 2 step. Current boost - e85 814 RWHP.
11-Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:58 AM   #9
LilyAnna

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11-Camaro View Post
I agree with the heat shield possibility. Is it loose in the screw locations or is it touching the exhaust anywhere?
If you’re talking about cat heat shields thats a no, since all cats are gone, I am yet to check the aluminum shields on the body, at the time I went to pick up the car nothing was touching but could have moved driving it these days (its my DD)
Old 10-20-2020, 02:35 PM   #10
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Since you had new motor mounts installed recently, you should check the fasteners in case they are coming loose due to faulty installation.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:01 PM   #11
LilyAnna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Since you had new motor mounts installed recently, you should check the fasteners in case they are coming loose due to faulty installation.
Good call, thanks!