Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-07-2020, 01:59 PM   #1
Jsal120

Drives: 2013 camaro 45th anniversary v6
2012 Camaro v6 won’t stay running!! Please Help

So I have a 2012 camaro v6 and one day I was driving down the road and was braking to stop at a light and the car stalled and everything cut off, luckily i was able to roll into a parking lot. I tried to start it but car would start but then begin too shake bad and sputter and backfire then die. I unplugged the maf sensor and the car ran fine enough to get me home but the next day I tried to do the same and the car would just die after starting even with the maf sensor in and out.I suspected fuel pump but I ran a fuel pressure test and the car in the on position was getting 55-60psi then when I start the car it was about 45psi but car still shakes and sputters and dies once it gets into idle. I changed maf sensor, changed evap solenoid, cleaned throttle body but still the car won’t stay on, any ideas? Also sounds like it is backfiring through intake and sputters then dies.
Jsal120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:05 PM   #2
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
I think i read average fuel pressure is 75ish psi so grab a manual and start checking pumps.
I believe there are two, a fuel pump and booster pump.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:51 PM   #3
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
Do you have a check engine light or any codes? I am not familiar with the V6 but I understand they have some timing chain issues. Maybe that is what is going on with the backfiring through intake. Sounds like valve timing is off.
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:58 PM   #4
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
seems like a stretched/jumped timing chain would pop a code though.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:13 PM   #5
Jsal120

Here’s the codes it is throwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdynak View Post
Do you have a check engine light or any codes? I am not familiar with the V6 but I understand they have some timing chain issues. Maybe that is what is going on with the backfiring through intake. Sounds like valve timing is off.
Here’s the codes
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2020, 07:24 PM   #6
LilyAnna

Drives: 2013 Camaro LFX 2LT
See screenshots for fuel pressure reference. V6 specific info, hope it helps!
Attached Images

LilyAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #7
Jsal120

Changed fuel pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyAnna View Post
See screenshots for fuel pressure reference. V6 specific info, hope it helps!
I just changed fuel pump and the car is still sputtering and stalling and backfiring through intake.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:17 PM   #8
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Unplug the Intake VVT soleniods, they are the TOP ones on each side. That will set the
cam phasers fully advanced on both sides, see how it runs.

I get some back-popping out the exhaust side at the cold hi-idle. Once the RPMs come
down, it's fine, then fine running from then on. I tried three different VVT solenoids,
aftermarket causing an even worse condition at cold idle. If I disconnect the exhaust
VVT solenoid on that side, it doesn't do it at all.

SO, I know I need an exhaust cam phaser there...

NO codes at all... I do get the code associated with disconnecting the VVT solenoid.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote