Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-08-2020, 01:45 PM   #1
LIV4MUDDIN

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Brake/Rotor Swap

I’ve seen the threads talking about the pros and cons of the Z26 powerstop pads. Can someone verify the 2020 is same as 2019? Their website doesn’t have 2020 on there yet. Wanting to buy the rotor and brake kit. I have a 2SS non 1LE.
LIV4MUDDIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:48 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
should be the same kit i had them on my car for awhile for a daily driven street car with no track /auto x or canyons they work just fine
Old 07-08-2020, 02:32 PM   #3
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
I used the mustang version of that kit for my fiance's Ecoboost. I was very impressed, even compared to my R1 concept rotors and EBC pads that cost a lot more.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2020, 09:31 AM   #4
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIV4MUDDIN View Post
I’ve seen the threads talking about the pros and cons of the Z26 powerstop pads. Can someone verify the 2020 is same as 2019? Their website doesn’t have 2020 on there yet. Wanting to buy the rotor and brake kit. I have a 2SS non 1LE.
2020 should be the same as 2019 in terms of hardware. Only pro of the pads are lower dust than OE. Cons are decreased performance, can't handle heat (don't want to do any heavy braking on them like track days or hard street driving), and if you do get them too hot they're likely to start squealing/grinding. The cons are pretty much non-issues if you're not driving hard, though.

Why are you looking to change rotors? Unless the stock ones are already fried, swapping rotors adds a lot more work and will only hurt performance. Even if the stock rotors are fried, I still would recommend using OE rotors over powerstop's slotted/drilled rotors.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:24 AM   #5
Ghostog27

Drives: 2017 1LT Camaro
Any brake kits you would recommend? I was thinking OEM because they work. I did two track days, and heavy braking on the regular 25k miles. I want to do some more track days was considering the Z26 package but I don't think they will hold up to my driving style/track days.

I'm on a budget right now, would like the 4 piston brembos but yea. I just need something that is gonna work. Not warp and have issues because of heavy braking that's why I like OEM.

Any suggestions on the route I should take would be great.
Ghostog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:53 AM   #6
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostog27 View Post
Any brake kits you would recommend? I was thinking OEM because they work. I did two track days, and heavy braking on the regular 25k miles. I want to do some more track days was considering the Z26 package but I don't think they will hold up to my driving style/track days.

I'm on a budget right now, would like the 4 piston brembos but yea. I just need something that is gonna work. Not warp and have issues because of heavy braking that's why I like OEM.

Any suggestions on the route I should take would be great.
That's actually pretty good lifespan. I've done maybe 10 track days and at 11k miles I'm right at 2 sets of pads and 1 set of rotors being used. Assuming you haven't added a ton of power or put on a significantly grippier tire the stock pads should do fine if you haven't had any issues with them. Z26 definitely won't work for track driving nor would any other carbon-ceramic pad in that category. If you drive hard enough that you find the OE pads are fading the first thing I'd add is cooling. I think the duct kit for the SS should fit on your car and it's pretty cheap. If that doesn't work you can try going to a more entry-level track pad like Powerstop TrackDay or Hawk's equivalent (blanking on the name right now) and those will resist fading a little better than stock and shouldn't be expensive like Carbotech or some of the high-end racing pads. I'm also a little leery of grippier racing pads because those tend to generate more heat which can cause issues with damaging seals and stuff like that which can lead to brake failures (side note, if you haven't switched to DOT4 fluid already you'll definitely want to do that ASAP).

For rotors definitely stick with OEM or at the very least solid-face rotors. Slots and cross-drilling won't do anything helpful for performance and if anything will be worse since they have less mass for thermal capacity and the thinned-down sections act as a propagation point for cracks.

Past that, I'd start saving for a set of the 4-piston fronts from the SS. Unfortunately you won't be able to swap rears due to the difference in the parking brake, but sets of rotors/pads/calipers do come up in the for sale section of the forum every now and then. From there as you keep getting faster there's more options for pads and the calipers will be better suited to handle the higher heat levels.

And don't have to take any of that as gospel or anything, just my 2 cents.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:24 PM   #7
Ghostog27

Drives: 2017 1LT Camaro
I appreciate your input, gonna grab OEM for now and call it. Thanks!
Ghostog27 is offline   Reply With Quote