Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-21-2020, 07:54 PM   #43
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJangle View Post
Yes and no. I wouldn't refer to it as being controlled by fear but trying to make an educated decision about a purchase. It simply comes down to this for the OP... does my desire to have the A8 trump the known issues that it "may" have? For me personally, it does not. Why would I willingly buy something that is known to have issues? The risk doesn't outweigh the reward. Also, it's a known fact that this issue has impacted the value of all Camaros that have the A8. So, if you buy one and try to unload it because it does have all manner of issues, that process will be harder due to the loss in value and the perception that the A8 is junk. I'm not saying that it is junk but it's perception in the market place that matters. For example, when I bought my Camaro I was trying to decide between several different models. I drove and loved the Mustang GT with the GT Performance Package. But, I read about all of the issues that they were having with the Coyote engine. When I pressed the dealership about it they had their Service Manager speak to me. When he confirmed that there were issues, that's all I needed to hear. I wasn't buying a new car that I "could" have major engine issues with no matter how impressive the car was. Now, I could've bought one and never had an issue with it but, at that money, I wasn't willing to take that chance.

I'm not trying to be argumentative and I agree that there's no perfect anything. The difference, to me, is knowing that there's an issue and buying anyway.

Peace & Progress
This seems to be an example of under the sky is falling type response. In some ways I get your post but in others it's a little over the top.

1. Comparing the Mustang engine mechanical failures to the A8 needing a simple fluid change or maybe a converter if someone delays having it serviced is not a fair comparison.
2. Your commented that you wouldn't buy a car with a known issue but, last time I checked even the 1LE can have rear end noise that requires a fluid change. Does this mean that your car will be worth less money because of this known issue? I think not.
3. I've seen nothing to date that this has impacted the value of the auto SS models. Most people look at service records and if there was a recall or service bulletin with a simple fix for the issue most don't even think twice about buying. If GM had to replace all the A8 transmissions I would agree that it would be a turn off and hurt the values but that not the case.

Last edited by Memphis SS; 02-22-2020 at 01:20 AM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:15 AM   #44
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
Again, I'm not trying to be argumentative. All I'm saying is that if you know there's an issue and you buy anyway, you're taking a chance. It's up to each individual person to decide if they want to take it. The OP asked and I gave my opinion. To each their own. And, I wasn't comparing a particular issue to another. The comparison was knowing about said issue and buying anyway. If my Camaro had the A8 in it, I simply wouldn't have bought it. Too much risk for me. For anyone else, it may not be.

I wish the OP all the best with your decision and I hope that it works-out for you.

Peace & Progress
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:21 PM   #45
Dark Phoenix

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS Redline
I understand SirJangle’s comments. One thing that has to be thought of was GM gave the SS the A10 for 2019, was that basically their actual fix for the A8 transmission issues or are the A8’s all good after either the last flush bulletin and maybe a torque converter. Like everything here there are varying opinions on the fix for the A8. It’s a matter of whether someone would want to take that chance.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:12 AM   #46
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
To make the A8 shudder a real issue, one has to consider what is the percentage of cars developing this defect. I bet it's really small and within the acceptable failure rates. When the 2018 Mustang came out, many cars had an issue with the A10 - actually the forums and the FB groups were full of people reporting failure of the A10. Isn't the A10 on the 2019-20 a transmission co-developed with Ford? So you should expect failures on the A10 as well. Again, I don't know the numbers, but I bet it was a small percentage. It's just that people go to the forums to report a problem, whereas those who don't have a problem with their car don't.

I absolutely love the A8 transmission on my car, it runs great and I haven't heard of anyone, in Europe, reporting any problems with it

Last edited by MakCamaro; 02-23-2020 at 10:26 AM.
MakCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:47 AM   #47
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJangle View Post
Again, I'm not trying to be argumentative. All I'm saying is that if you know there's an issue and you buy anyway, you're taking a chance. It's up to each individual person to decide if they want to take it. The OP asked and I gave my opinion. To each their own. And, I wasn't comparing a particular issue to another. The comparison was knowing about said issue and buying anyway. If my Camaro had the A8 in it, I simply wouldn't have bought it. Too much risk for me. For anyone else, it may not be.

I wish the OP all the best with your decision and I hope that it works-out for you.

Peace & Progress
I agree, each person has to make that decision on what's best for them. I think if you take the time to research you will find that people that actually own the A8 and have taken their car in since the new fluid was released are having very good results. As I have stated before reading and owning are two different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Phoenix View Post
I understand SirJangle’s comments. One thing that has to be thought of was GM gave the SS the A10 for 2019, was that basically their actual fix for the A8 transmission issues or are the A8’s all good after either the last flush bulletin and maybe a torque converter. Like everything here there are varying opinions on the fix for the A8. It’s a matter of whether someone would want to take that chance.
Well, Interesting take on the subject.

As far as the A10 being released by GM as the fix? My guess is NO. My thoughts are the A10 has been in development for a long time partnering with Ford. I feel it was just a technology progression as in the A2 power glide to the A3, A4, A6, A8 and now A10.

Now here is one for you. Is there a safe bet on which is the better transmission at this point, the A8 in my SS and Colorado Z71 or the first year released A10 that is in your 2019 SS?

You do know that the A10 that GM released at the time of the GEN6 ZL1 (the 10L90) is not what is in your SS. GM released a new version that is not as heavy duty for the SS model that is a 10L80. It was new for the 2019 model year. I guess we will see which one stands the test of time. I don't claim to be an expert on either and I'm not knocking the A10 at all. Let's just hope both have a lot of trouble free miles ahead.