Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 02-07-2020, 06:49 AM   #1
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Performance Data Recorder

Picked up my LE1 at the end of Nov 2919. I have not done anything with the PDR, what do you guys recommend for the size of the memory stick and make. Plus do you put the Memory Stick in the Center console? Also how to you see or put it in the Center console, I can’t even see it and the lid seems to be in the way.

I thought I saw a picture of a PDR under the steering wheel area?
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:54 AM   #2
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbeastSS2 View Post
Picked up my LE1 at the end of Nov 2919. I have not done anything with the PDR, what do you guys recommend for the size of the memory stick and make. Plus do you put the Memory Stick in the Center console? Also how to you see or put it in the Center console, I can’t even see it and the lid seems to be in the way.

I thought I saw a picture of a PDR under the steering wheel area?
Lots of threads suggesting the types of cards.

The PDR slot is near your knee, under the steering wheel.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:33 AM   #3
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
Lots of threads suggesting the types of cards.

The PDR slot is near your knee, under the steering wheel.
Thanks
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:07 PM   #4
69-SS396

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Since the PDR is only 720p video you don't need a huge card for a lot of record time. I ended up with a Samsung Endurance 32GB card. They are designed for video monitoring, more extreme environments and come with a 5yr warranty. The 32GB version is on $10 at Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbeastSS2 View Post
....what do you guys recommend for the size of the memory stick and make.
69-SS396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:52 AM   #5
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
If you only use it for recording videos of track days then a regular card should hold up fine. If you record regular drives frequently then yes it is probably better to get a Samsung or SanDisk endurance model since they can take a lot more write cycles before failing. 64GB is plenty of room at a good price point. I run microSD cards with the included full sized adapter so I can put them into my android phone between sessions and copy the .mp4 file to the phone and review areas to improve/change and show my laps to others before going back out. Make sure to back up your video files regardless to protect against physically losing it and memory card failure.

Also I got a separate card for each track so the start/finish line stays in exactly the same place forever which I am told is helpful for using the Cosworth toolbox analysis software and you don't have to remember to set it during the first session while hauling down the straightaway every time you go to a different track. I believe you can also backup/restore a copy of the .map.gpx file before each track day if you want to use a single card and not have to record the start/finish manually except for the first ever time you go out on a given track.

The slot is physically located in front of your left knee when you are sitting in the driver's seat. A flashlight should help you find it.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:52 PM   #6
LESS1

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
Also I got a separate card for each track so the start/finish line stays in exactly the same place forever which I am told is helpful for using the Cosworth toolbox analysis software and you don't have to remember to set it during the first session while hauling down the straightaway every time you go to a different track. I believe you can also backup/restore a copy of the .map.gpx file before each track day if you want to use a single card and not have to record the start/finish manually except for the first ever time you go out on a given track.

The slot is physically located in front of your left knee when you are sitting in the driver's seat. A flashlight should help you find it.
An alternate option is to save each track mapgpx file to your PC and then load the specific track mapgpx file to your SD card before an event. Each mapgpx file contains the start/finish line you defined. This way you don't need multiple cards.
LESS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:44 AM   #7
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
The only caveat to the cards is this.

They have to be formatted in FAT32, on a Windows machine 32gig is the largest the Windows OS will format in FAT32. The format a 64gig card in FAT32 you will need to use an android device or a 3rd party program to format the card in FAT32.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:39 PM   #8
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
I got the biggest size I could get because I use it as a dash cam
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:31 AM   #9
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
You can format 64GB+ cards in Windows without a 3rd party program using the command line but it takes a lot longer than doing it with a program: https://www.howtogeek.com/316977/how...32-on-windows/

Beware the pdr stops recording without warning on long trips (somewhere between 1-2 hours iirc) and you have to remember to start it manually every time...not ideal at all. Better to just get a separate dashcam IMO.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:04 AM   #10
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
I've used 3 32GB cards from 3 different manufacturers thus far. Never had to format them. Just plug in and record. I get about 660mins per card iirc.
Also use it as a dash cam and never had the PDR stop until i turned off the car. Super easy to delete previous recordings (when using as a dash cam) right on the Infotainment screen to free up space after a stop to fill up, etc. Overall found it super easy to use. Wish we had the same lap info display on a dash as the Vettes do. That's the only complaint of mine.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:23 AM   #11
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
I've used 3 32GB cards from 3 different manufacturers thus far. Never had to format them. Just plug in and record. I get about 660mins per card iirc.
Also use it as a dash cam and never had the PDR stop until i turned off the car. Super easy to delete previous recordings (when using as a dash cam) right on the Infotainment screen to free up space after a stop to fill up, etc. Overall found it super easy to use. Wish we had the same lap info display on a dash as the Vettes do. That's the only complaint of mine.
A brand new 32gig card already comes formatted in FAT32, it is only when you go larger than 32gig that FAT32 becomes an issue.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:10 AM   #12
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
A brand new 32gig card already comes formatted in FAT32, it is only when you go larger than 32gig that FAT32 becomes an issue.
I see - thanks for the info!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:25 AM   #13
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
I left my card in the slot (2 years) and it went bad, could not recover data. The PDR is fine. Just an FYI.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote