Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-05-2020, 01:46 PM   #1
csolas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Getting to know my 1le - few questions

Hi all,

Few questions i have about the car 2019 2ss 1le

1-Even under heavy acceleration my oil pressure gauge never passes 50psi. Is this normal? I am used to my mustang where the oil pressure gauge was all the way up under heavy acceleration reading around 100psi

2-diff fluid change needed after 1500 miles? the manual says only if you are going to track the car but that sounds fishy to me.

3-oil catch can really needed? if the engineers at GM that designed this would have thought it would need an oil catch can then why didnt they put one? In one of my plastic vacuum lines by the intake there is a little plastic box that looks like a catch can?? this is me just wondering.

4-the volt meter sometimes reads very low close to the 12 line and some other times it is right at 14 volts. is this normal?

thank you all
csolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:02 PM   #2
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by csolas View Post
Hi all,

1-Even under heavy acceleration my oil pressure gauge never passes 50psi. Is this normal? I am used to my mustang where the oil pressure gauge was all the way up under heavy acceleration reading around 100psi

2-diff fluid change needed after 1500 miles? the manual says only if you are going to track the car but that sounds fishy to me.

3-oil catch can really needed? if the engineers at GM that designed this would have thought it would need an oil catch can then why didnt they put one? In one of my plastic vacuum lines by the intake there is a little plastic box that looks like a catch can?? this is me just wondering.

4-the volt meter sometimes reads very low close to the 12 line and some other times it is right at 14 volts. is this normal?

thank you all
1. That's normal. It'll be a little higher in the morning when you first crank it up, then it will normally vary between about 30 and just over 40.
2. Never changed the fluid in the diff. I don't track mine and I have almost 30,000 miles on it.
3. I don't have a can, I change my oil regularly, to date I've never needed to add oil between changes.
4. Yes, this alternator only charges the batter when it needs it.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:24 PM   #3
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
1. That's a normal reading for the oil gauge.
2. That's what I got from the manual as well, also lot's of varying opinions on the whether it needs to be done at 1500 miles even if not tracking....however; 2016,17 and even some '18's had what's know as rear diff groan/moan on first drive and cold temps. It did that on my first 2 6th gens. There's plenty of threads/posts on the topic. On my '19 SS/1LE I was proactive and changed out the diff fluid at 1000 miles. I'm nearly at 8k and it's been quiet.
3. Catch-can = Yes/No....lot's of opinions out there on the subject.
4. Yep, normal. It's what gm calls "smart charging".
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:31 PM   #4
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
1. That's a normal reading for the oil gauge.
2. That's what I got from the manual as well, also lot's of varying opinions on the whether it needs to be done at 1500 miles even if not tracking....however; 2016,17 and even some '18's had what's know as rear diff groan/moan on first drive and cold temps. It did that on my first 2 6th gens. There's plenty of threads/posts on the topic. On my '19 SS/1LE I was proactive and changed out the diff fluid at 1000 miles. I'm nearly at 8k and it's been quiet.
3. Catch-can = Yes/No....lot's of opinions out there on the subject.
4. Yep, normal. It's what gm calls "smart charging".
1. Oil pump is dynamically controlled. Oil pressure will change according to performance needs and situation.
2. If you are going to track, do the 1500 change to get all the rear diff wear-in junk out of the fluid. That way you provide the diff better oil for when the gears are high-loaded. Also, the SS 1LE, ZL1 and ZL1 1LE have a different diff groan the other Camaros - the groan doesn’t apply.
3. It’s suggested.
4. S/A
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:52 PM   #5
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Regarding #3, I read an interview with a Camaro engineer (Al O. maybe?)who claimed a catch can should not be needed, but he did admit that it may be beneficial if you track the car. I wish I had saved a link to that interview.
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:08 PM   #6
Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
Regarding #3, I read an interview with a Camaro engineer (Al O. maybe?)who claimed a catch can should not be needed, but he did admit that it may be beneficial if you track the car. I wish I had saved a link to that interview.
Outside of helping keep the valves clean, there is also a concern with what oil vapor/mist can do to combustion performance (relating to power) and possibly LSPI. The LT1 in the Camaro has a separator in the clean-air side of the PCV system, which is great. The dirty-air side is at the mercy of the PCV valve, which does allow oil vapor into the intake. At manifold pressures during track driving, the PCV valve is supposed to be more-less closed, with most of the crankcase vapor going through the clean-air side (think 80/20-ish).

There are a lot of depends associated... a lot with what oil is being used and how well a particular engine rings have seated.

This is always a hot topic. Keep it at "suggested". It's not "needed" per-say.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:38 PM   #7
csolas

waooo guys thank you so much for being so helpful and providing so much information and clarity to my questions. I appreciate all of your answers. I love this car!
Old 02-05-2020, 06:40 PM   #8
csolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Outside of helping keep the valves clean, there is also a concern with what oil vapor/mist can do to combustion performance (relating to power) and possibly LSPI. The LT1 in the Camaro has a separator in the clean-air side of the PCV system, which is great. The dirty-air side is at the mercy of the PCV valve, which does allow oil vapor into the intake. At manifold pressures during track driving, the PCV valve is supposed to be more-less closed, with most of the crankcase vapor going through the clean-air side (think 80/20-ish).

There are a lot of depends associated... a lot with what oil is being used and how well a particular engine rings have seated.

This is always a hot topic. Keep it at "suggested". It's not "needed" per-say.
interesting... that is what i was thinking that little black box was. so when you put a catch can you have to put on both sides of the engine? I guess i have to watch video to educate myself. thanks for ur answer
Old 02-05-2020, 07:33 PM   #9
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Hi all,

thank you all
My $0.02 worth...

1. Different engine, different engines are designed with different parameters... Around 50psi sounds normal from what I've seen on my 2SS...

2. I'm not tracking my can and I'm going to do the differential at 500, 1,500 and then ever other oil change... My theory, fluids are cheap, major components are not...

3. GM likely didn't put it in because a catch can requires owner attention, if it were to get full and start ingesting actual fluids it would be a very bad thing... My thought is it can't hurt (as long as you regularly empty it), so why not do something to help prevent at least some of the intake valve deposits from forming...

4. At idle I could see it going down some but at any type of engine speed I would fully expect it to be very near 14v (13.8v system). I've only driven my 2SS 200 miles so far, haven't watch the volt meter much...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:02 PM   #10
Mountain

Quote:
interesting... that is what i was thinking that little black box was. so when you put a catch can you have to put on both sides of the engine? I guess i have to watch video to educate myself. thanks for ur answer
Well, that depends on how well a particular car's PCV system is designed. The Camaro's LT1-engine system is pretty good, really. The clean-air side is definitely taken care of-where the majority concern is on track. The dirty-air side could use some help, but isn't terrible.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:44 AM   #11
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Hi all,

I'd go with what the manual says. If you're not tracking the car, you don't need to change it at 1500 miles. And if something does happen to the rear end in the first 3 years, it will be covered under the warranty.

I have done a couple track days with mine, so I did change the rear diff fluid myself in my garage. Total price was $38 for 2 qts of AC Delco 75W-90 Dexron LS gear oil, and another $8 for one of these fluid pumps:

https://www.amazon.com/Slippery-Pete...ef=sr_1_1_sspa

Of course you also need a jack and jack stands. The fluid did come out dirty so I'm sure it didn't hurt that I changed it. But I wouldn't have bothered if I was not tracking the car. I have a feeling these rear ends are built incredibly strong, and will easily stand up to daily driving usage without frequent fluid changes.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:16 PM   #12
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
My dealer changed my rear diff fluid around 30k miles. I've done two HPDE events in the car. They just replaced my rear diff last week and said the fluid was burnt. I traded it Friday, but just thought I'd share that info. Mine started making rear end noise when letting off the gas around December or so and they tried to tell me it was my headers/cat/ypipe.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:51 PM   #13
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Hi all,

Normal.

I did mine early like 2300 miles though not tracking so I wasn't concerned with the 1500 mile recommendation, but... it was really dirty.
Drained the diff and the fluid sat in the pan a day or so before dumping it, there was a large amount of sediment at the bottom of the pan.
Change your diff fluid early.

I put one on the dirty side and catch more than an ounce of oil/contaminants in 3500-4000 miles.
All that oil would have formed carbon deposits on the valves, cylinder heads, pistons, and ports, none of which are good for performance.

Mine drove me nuts at first, but it's normal.

thank you all
Hope this helps.

Also, a catch can will help you keep an eye on your engine's health. If you notice an increase in oil collected, pretty good sign you have more blow by than before.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:56 PM   #14
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Hi all,

thank you all
I don't have a 1LE, but I have a 2020 2SS (that I'll likely never track, but WILL drive "spiritedly" on the road...)

1. Oil pressure - That is normal, the Mustang engine is complete different, apples to oranges...

2. I changed my differential fluid at 500 miles, I will change it again at 1,500 miles and then at ever other oil change (I'm going to change my oil every 3,000 miles maximum)... Diff fluid is cheap, components are not... Ounce of prevention and all that stuff... A Diff fluid change (doing it yourself is less than $40... Not worth skimping on, VERY easy to change yourself)

3. Oil Catch Can - I installed a Mishimoto catch can, and in the 750 miles it's been on, it has caught around an ounce of oil that didn't go on to my intake valves and turn into carbon deposits... I understand the thought of "if GM engineers thought the car needed it, they would have added it..." Here are a couple angles on that... GM Power train warranty is 5 years/60,000 miles, odds are NOTHING will happen in that time frame regarding carbon buildup that would be significant enough to cause a warranty issue... Secondly, adding a catch can is another "user required maintenance item", if the catch can ever actually filled up completely with fluid (most prevalent in cold environments) and the engine started ingesting fluid, that would be VERY, VERY bad... If a catch can was never emptied during the warranty period, it would VERY likely fill up and start porting fluid into the intake, likely causing hydrolock on the engine, causing catastrophic failure and major warranty claims...)

4. Voltmeter - That is normal when the battery is fully charged, the car has a "Smart Alternator" and it will charge as needed...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote