Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 02-11-2020, 10:46 AM   #15
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
Agree - I spent a year on G3's on my SS 1LE, then went toe G3R's on ZL1 1LE wheels. Just trying R7's. Both the G3's and G3R's are great tires that are predictable and reasonably affordable.
Thank you both for the quick reply's and helpful information
That1guy_tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:06 PM   #16
Jimbeau11

Drives: '18 Black SS 1LE; '01 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanKnight View Post
Why are you balancing Hoosiers? No need at all (If you are really uptight, I understand balancing the rims, but the tires rotate on the rim and therefore a balance is pretty useless)
Not only do they rotate, but the "pickup" and huge globs of clag inside the wheel defeat the whole process.
Jimbeau11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:13 PM   #17
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
On the ZLE I only get about 6-8 heat cycles (sessions) per set of SC3R front tires until the notorious inner cording happens. I've only used Hoosiers once, and I got a few more heat cycles out of the fronts before they corded. I could probably have optimized the alignment and gotten a few more, but not double. The cost difference was not worth it in my mind.
Good to know.

Do your SC3Rs ever cord on the outside before the inside? Or do you simply have too much camber to cord the outsides first? Also do you drive on your SC3Rs to the track or are they a track only set of wheel/tires?

I really want my front SC3Rs to last two full track days (or 8 sessions/heat cycles) before replacing them, I’ll be using SC3Rs on a dedicated set of track wheels for the first time this upcoming season on a corner heavy track.

Quote:
Regarding the front wear, I try to flip on the rim as well as moving side to side to get a few more sessions. I only move side to side on the rears.
It seems the tread is asymmetrical on the SC3R so I would think there would be some adverse handling effects flipping the tires on the front wheels, but I don’t know to what degree.

I have -2.5 camber on the front of my ZL1 so I imagine mine will cord on the outside before the inside but obviously would like them to wear as evenly as possible to make them last as long as possible.

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 02-12-2020 at 12:14 AM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:00 AM   #18
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
GMG - no lap time degradation in the dry with the tires flipped especially in the fact that they are (very) used when flipped.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:45 AM   #19
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
GMG,

I have yet to cord a front SC3R on anything but the far inner edge (A common problem with the ZLE). Last "season" I ended up having two sets of fronts with me at all times and I would swap them out every 2 sessions. A pain, but it allowed me to get a solid 14-15 heat cycles out of a "set" before they cycled out. I trailer my car to and from, so not a huge deal having to bring spare wheels.

If you are anywhere near an advanced level driver, you won't get the fronts to last two days on a typical event with 4-6 sessions.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:33 PM   #20
RUQWIKR

16 HC’s - started to cord at 15 and I finished them (way) off the 16th HC and on the 92 mile drive home. Front is at -2.7 on SS 1LE.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2020, 01:41 PM   #21
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
16 HC’s - started to cord at 15 and I finished them (way) off the 16th HC and on the 92 mile drive home. Front is at -2.7 on SS 1LE.
How did you manage to get -2.7 on the SS 1LE?

My alignment shop was only able to get -2.2.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:07 PM   #22
RUQWIKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
How did you manage to get -2.7 on the SS 1LE?

My alignment shop was only able to get -2.2.
Car-to-car varies with readings stock. Seen between -2.2 and -2.8 (on good consistent alignment racks) stock. You can slightly elongate the top hole to get the value you are after just watch your toe as you go more negative. Good old thread below...

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526353
Old 02-13-2020, 01:16 AM   #23
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
GMG - no lap time degradation in the dry with the tires flipped especially in the fact that they are (very) used when flipped.
Also good to know, thanks for sharing your experience.
My understanding was that the performance of these tires does not degrade over the course of their life / until they cord so I didn’t know if wear would play an issue or not.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:19 AM   #24
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
GMG,

I have yet to cord a front SC3R on anything but the far inner edge (A common problem with the ZLE). Last "season" I ended up having two sets of fronts with me at all times and I would swap them out every 2 sessions. A pain, but it allowed me to get a solid 14-15 heat cycles out of a "set" before they cycled out. I trailer my car to and from, so not a huge deal having to bring spare wheels.

If you are anywhere near an advanced level driver, you won't get the fronts to last two days on a typical event with 4-6 sessions.
Thanks for the further detail.

I thought I recalled reading on this forum that drivers were cording the insides of these tires because they drove the car on the street as well as to and from the track but apparently that’s not the only reason, or the reason. It make me wonder how much of an impact camber level plays and if the reduced handling (with less camber) would be worth the potential increase in tire life span.

I also seem to recall reading that some drivers were cording the outsides of these tires because they didn’t have enough negative camber, but maybe I’m getting that confused with the R7’s...

Also to make sure I’m not missing something; Do you change your 2 sets of front tires every 2 sessions for any reason other than just to make sure they wear evenly at the similar rate?

Or are you accomplishing something over and above the fact that just having 2 sets of front tires will mean you’ll get twice as many sessions compared to having 1 set (such as having more margin/buffer in case 1 set wears faster than the other)?

I’m far from an advanced driver, just started last year, but my local track is very technical and I drive hard, I guess only time will tell how long they will last for me...

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 02-13-2020 at 01:40 AM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:43 AM   #25
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Car-to-car varies with readings stock. Seen between -2.2 and -2.8 (on good consistent alignment racks) stock. You can slightly elongate the top hole to get the value you are after just watch your toe as you go more negative. Good old thread below...

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526353
My alignment shop got -2.5 on the front of my ZL1 without elongating any holes.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:01 AM   #26
RUQWIKR

FYI - on the G3's and G3R's, they are very good down to the cords, but, performance does drop off between new and corded due to the heat cycling effect on the rubber. It's not night and day, but, it is noticeable the more consistent you get as a driver, with more data and time under your belt, you will be able to tell the degradation more.

I'm pretty sure the same can be said of most / all other performance tires.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:36 AM   #27
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
GMG,

I have yet to cord a front SC3R on anything but the far inner edge (A common problem with the ZLE). Last "season" I ended up having two sets of fronts with me at all times and I would swap them out every 2 sessions. A pain, but it allowed me to get a solid 14-15 heat cycles out of a "set" before they cycled out.
Perhaps there's a time element involved, similar to the recommended 24-hour waiting period following your initial heat cycling effort.

I'd almost wonder if there would be any further benefit by swapping them out every session (which would get really old in a hurry).

Norm
Old 02-13-2020, 11:39 AM   #28
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
I believe the reason ZLE's cord the inner edge of the tires is because of a dynamic toe change during braking and or cornering. I do not believe it is related to camber at all. At least, the cording that track guys are seeing.

R7's were the tires that need more camber and were cording the outer edge.

I simply swap fronts out every few sessions so their wear will mimic that of the rears, thus allowing me to run the "set" at an even wear pattern for 14 odd heat cycles. That way I'm not starting with a fresh set of fronts with rears that already have 7 cycles. It also allows me to complete a full weekend without going to the tire store.