Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-22-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
thrashergrant

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
A Word to the Wise: Track Alignment + DD. Pics Inside

Wanted to share my tire wear with track alignment settings(-2.4 front, -1.5 rear). The car is a daily driver and this is the first tire replacement at 9600 miles. The tires have 7 autox events(~8 runs/event avg), no track days. I had it aligned with track settings at about 1500 miles.

The rears are just about perfect, however the fronts had considerable wear on the inner shoulder(see the cording in pics). I guess I don't put enough turning load on the car during its daily driving duty, so I'll be backing off the camber to about -2.0 on the new set and will see how that wears.

Luckily the rears were toast or I'd have been upset about the life still left in middle section of the fronts.

Just wanted to share my results in case anyone has a similar daily/track miles ratio.
Attached Images

thrashergrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:51 PM   #2
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Uh, I’d call that pretty terrific. I’d be thrilled if my tires looked like that after 10k miles. Do some track days, they’ll wear more evenly up front!
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:52 PM   #3
JTRATX

Drives: 17 SS 1LE, 14 Yukon Denali
What was the front toe out? That can cause excess wear too.
JTRATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:56 PM   #4
thrashergrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRATX View Post
What was the front toe out? That can cause excess wear too.
Total Toe was 1/16"
Old 06-22-2019, 06:32 PM   #5
kjchristopher

Drives: 911SC
your front issue is toe. Go to zero toe up front.
kjchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:40 PM   #6
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Uh, I’d call that pretty terrific. I’d be thrilled if my tires looked like that after 10k miles. Do some track days, they’ll wear more evenly up front!
+1. Id call it a great result for the number of DD miles plus the autox events. Given the rears are done like dinner anyway, id simply zero out F toe and see what the F wear is like after 10k on a new set - before giving up on the F camber.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:54 PM   #7
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashergrant View Post
Total Toe was 1/16"
Is that toe in or out?
Even if it was toed out 1/16" total, that didn't kill the inner shoulder.

High negative camber will kill the inner shoulders with lots of street use. The inner shoulder is taking on more of the load (vehicle weight). Most (sane) drivers won't drive their car anywhere near as hard on the street as they do on the track, so our street use static negative camber requirement is a lot less. Also we do much more straight line driving, which does not subject the tire to any lateral forces but continually loads that inner shoulder.

Another factor is that these are strut cars and the camber gain is not adequate. And the caster could be better, but, while adding more helps the "dynamic camber" especially on the unloaded front tire in a turn, caster affects other geometry of the front suspension. Adding more static negative camber is not a total solution as the unloaded tire now is being drug on its inner shoulder.

Pumping up the tires beyond the recommended cold pressures can help some, but at the risk of the car becoming too darty and a loss steering feel.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:14 AM   #8
Tim M

Thanks for posting! Those are definitely used up...
Old 06-23-2019, 08:18 AM   #9
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Texas World Speedway

Hey, Thrashergrant, I see you're in College Station. Got me to wondering about the old Texas World Speedway. Is it even still there? I'm a Georgia Aggie - dad got transferred to Houston at the end of his career so i wound up at A &M from '77 - '82. I did several WERA events at TWS back in the day. I came back to Ga when i graduated and have only been back once, and i came from dfw that time so i didn't go padt TWS.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:13 PM   #10
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
Hey, Thrashergrant, I see you're in College Station. Got me to wondering about the old Texas World Speedway. Is it even still there? I'm a Georgia Aggie - dad got transferred to Houston at the end of his career so i wound up at A &M from '77 - '82. I did several WERA events at TWS back in the day. I came back to Ga when i graduated and have only been back once, and i came from dfw that time so i didn't go padt TWS.
It's closed. I believe it's been sold for apartment housing.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:28 PM   #11
thrashergrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
+1. Id call it a great result for the number of DD miles plus the autox events. Given the rears are done like dinner anyway, id simply zero out F toe and see what the F wear is like after 10k on a new set - before giving up on the F camber.
Thanks for the tip! I'll try zero'ing out the toe first so I can keep the camber for track use.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:32 PM   #12
thrashergrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
Is that toe in or out?
Even if it was toed out 1/16" total, that didn't kill the inner shoulder.

High negative camber will kill the inner shoulders with lots of street use. The inner shoulder is taking on more of the load (vehicle weight). Most (sane) drivers won't drive their car anywhere near as hard on the street as they do on the track, so our street use static negative camber requirement is a lot less. Also we do much more straight line driving, which does not subject the tire to any lateral forces but continually loads that inner shoulder.

Another factor is that these are strut cars and the camber gain is not adequate. And the caster could be better, but, while adding more helps the "dynamic camber" especially on the unloaded front tire in a turn, caster affects other geometry of the front suspension. Adding more static negative camber is not a total solution as the unloaded tire now is being drug on its inner shoulder.

Pumping up the tires beyond the recommended cold pressures can help some, but at the risk of the car becoming too darty and a loss steering feel.
Thanks for the input. It was a positive (+) measurement, so I assume thats toe out, correct?
Old 06-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #13
thrashergrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
I'm Class of 2013. Sadly TWS is done. They stored Hurricane Harvey cars there for a while and have recently started building a subdivision directly through the back part of the track. The structures are still standing, however.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:43 PM   #14
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashergrant View Post
Thanks for the input. It was a positive (+) measurement, so I assume thats toe out, correct?
positive is toe in.