Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 10-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #15
2slow95vert

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Plug kit, jack from Harbor freight, and small compressor.
Attached Images

2slow95vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:52 PM   #16
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Are there any 6th gen models that aren't using run flats and have a spare/jack?
If so, could you pick those items up from Chevrolet?
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:13 PM   #17
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Those of us that live in the wide open Western States are especially at risk without a spare. Nothing for me to drive in MT and my nearest REAL Town in a hundred miles away. Meaning a larger Town with a few tire stores.

I've been lucky so far, but lack of ANY spare does worry me.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:37 PM   #18
Camman2SS

Drives: 2017 Blue 2SS on Order. Build 4/17
Actually the solution I'm looking for is for when you are a hundred miles from nowhere and get a flat. The ability to get a shop to repair a tire later or get a replacement later is totally different than how do you eventually get to that shop. It seems that either you keep the convenience of a run flat which in my opinion has a lot of road noise similar to an off road tire or replace with a performance tire with less road noise and find a solution to cripple the car home or a repair shop. I am the first to admit I am not about to perform a core and plug repair in the middle of the night. Thus my question asked; can you get a God awful donut or a flat repair kit anyone can use in a pinch.
Camman2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:10 PM   #19
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camman2SS View Post
Actually the solution I'm looking for is for when you are a hundred miles from nowhere and get a flat. The ability to get a shop to repair a tire later or get a replacement later is totally different than how do you eventually get to that shop. It seems that either you keep the convenience of a run flat which in my opinion has a lot of road noise similar to an off road tire or replace with a performance tire with less road noise and find a solution to cripple the car home or a repair shop. I am the first to admit I am not about to perform a core and plug repair in the middle of the night. Thus my question asked; can you get a God awful donut or a flat repair kit anyone can use in a pinch.
Did you search the Gen 5 site? there is a long thread on what they did. Some ended up with a spare in the trunk. Helps if you run a square set up. Bye-bye what little room you have there, They used it for longer trips. Around town or some form of a town, phone.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #20
Stex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank237 View Post
Those of us that live in the wide open Western States are especially at risk without a spare. Nothing for me to drive in MT and my nearest REAL Town in a hundred miles away. Meaning a larger Town with a few tire stores.

I've been lucky so far, but lack of ANY spare does worry me.
Yes! Ruin a tire in town and you are inconvenienced enough. Ruin a tire in the middle of open country and it is a flat bed to some where. If not to your home it is a wait for a tire for sure. Could be a day or two...
Old 10-01-2017, 10:27 PM   #21
LtColumbo

Drives: 2017 1LT RS V6 A8, 2020 Fusion
The LT Camaros with 18" wheels come with a tire inflation kit. It is deleted with the RS package.

Fix- a-flat goop may damage the TPMS sensors. But other than for being cheap, GM should have left the kit in the car.
LtColumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:31 PM   #22
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Theres nothing wrong with run flats. Just people dont want to spend the money to replace them.
The run flats on our cars are summer only tires but it has nothing to do with being run flats.
Run flats are designed to run 50 miles at 45mph.
Fix a flat needs to be completely cleaned out quickly or it will eat the tire. The tire needs to be removed from the rim cleaned including the rim, new valve stem, new TPMS sensor and patched. Fix a flat in a tire with TPMS will plug the sensor.
Running a run flat flat can damage the sidewall. The reason they tell you not to fix them is they dont want a lawsuit if the tire fails. It might work it might not.
get a 5th gen compressor kit with fix a flat and hope it works when you need it and buy a cheap tire plug kit to get you to a tire shop. Or get AAA
I have AAA
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:22 AM   #23
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
Did you search the Gen 5 site? there is a long thread on what they did. Some ended up with a spare in the trunk. Helps if you run a square set up. Bye-bye what little room you have there, They used it for longer trips. Around town or some form of a town, phone.
I put a full size front wheel and tire in the trunk of my Gen5 SS on some long trips. However, the Gen5 has steel loops in the trunk for strapping down the tire. The loops are there because non-RS V6 cars can be ordered with a spare, and the loops are for securing the removed full size wheel, which does not fit in the well.

Putting an unsecured wheel in the trunk is dangerous. In a collision, it will plow right through the rear seat back and injure you. So not an option for Gen6.

If I had a Gen6, I would keep the run flats, and also add a "mobility kit" (compressor and bottle of slime), a plug kit, and a scissor jack. Because 50 miles at 45 mph doesn't sound all that attractive in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere.

As for AAA, also problematic in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:39 AM   #24
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
if you buy the Michelin Pilot tires or the Continental Extreme Contact tires both of those companies will provide towing at no charge up to 150 miles if you have a flat.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:19 AM   #25
17txcamaross

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
You could try checking performance spare as a search in Google. They offer a spare tire kit. Although it is $300 it would help in a pinch.
17txcamaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:41 PM   #26
Stex

Yes, or just throw in a jack, compressor and repair stuff AND just a spare tire with no wheel. So if in boonies, you could fix or if tire is ruined at least have someone mount the tire. Save you waiting around in desert town waiting on a tire to get there.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:35 PM   #27
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
I drove my car on an "epic road trip" from Spokane to Vegas this last Summer on Michelin PSS tires. While driving through the desert, I realized, this might be a really bad place to get a flat!

But I was still fine...I never really was anywhere that was completely out of Cell Phone Coverage or in a day's walk to civilization. I just made sure I had a bunch of water bottles and sunscreen if I indeed had to walk.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:06 PM   #28
martelds
Go Arizona Cardinals

Drives: 2006 GMC Duramax 2500 HD, 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
if you buy the Michelin Pilot tires or the Continental Extreme Contact tires both of those companies will provide towing at no charge up to 150 miles if you have a flat.
Thanks for the tip. I just got new Michelin PILOTŪ SPORT 4 S. They sound and feel so much nicer than the GY runflats. I had no idea that was something. I bought a can of fixaflat, but this is a much better option. Unless I have a flat where i don't have service, which isn't a lot of places since I have Verizon.

A qualified service professional will change your flat and install your spare tire or provide towing at no charge. In case of a flat tire, simply call 1-888-553-4327 and a qualified professional will change the tire or provide towing up to 150 miles for free. Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in the U.S. and Canada.
https://www.michelinman.com/US/en/wh...se-plan.html#_
2016 2SS Garnet Red 2SS,6 Speed, NPP, MRC, Adrenaline Red interior, Black Rally Stripes, NAV, Sunroof, Corvette Z51 Black Wheels, Black Front Fascia, aFe / PFADT Suspension Lowering Springs, Black High Rise Rear Spoiler. High flow headers, E85, Roto-Fab Cold Air, MSD Atomic AirForce Intake. aFe / PFADT Front & Rear Sway Bar. Pushing 520 to the Rear Wheels
martelds is offline   Reply With Quote