Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-16-2020, 03:22 PM   #43
tall cool thing

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS convertible
First thing I did when i bought my 2SS vert, before leaving the dealer lot, was pull off the run flats and replace with Conti. DWS06. Love these tires. Mine isnt a daily driver, but i didnt relish the idea of hydroplane/cold issues with OEM tires. Think the run flats were an easy way around the lack of a spare tire. I bought the slime setup as mentioned several posts above. I also have road side coverage with my insurance, if needed.
tall cool thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:26 PM   #44
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow BB View Post
I just watched the latest edition of Consumer Reports Talking Cars. A reader asked about replacing run flat tires with conventional tires & they advised against it! Their rationale is that cars with factory installed run flats are designed specifically to use that type of tire & by changing that, can seriously change the handling of the car. I never gave that much thought to that issue. Does anyone have a recent list of all of the current run flats available for the SS & above? Some of the tire testing websites are outdated.
ya make it handle better. The guy that said that is full off bull shit.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:42 PM   #45
Yellow BB

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 2SS
The CR guy that said that is a tire testing engineer. I’m not saying he’s right or wrong. I do have the Magnetic Ride Control (MRC) & wonder if it must be recalibrated with different tires or does it calibrate itself? Is it the same MRC used on both the SS & RS or are they different? This is a huge concern because of where I live. I can’t drive 50 miles to a shop for repairs. To get to any decent size town is at least 100 miles in any direction. I don’t think the Michigan dingbats took the fact that many of us live in huge, open Western states into consideration.
Yellow BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:51 PM   #46
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
no it does not have to be recalibrated because of different tires. run flat tires are heavy because they have thicker sidewalls to hold the car up with no air in them. This makes them less than ideal for performance. changing to a lighter tire with the same speed rating or better will make the car handle better because they will be lighter. but really its a moot point because the difference in weight isn't enough to really matter. the guy claims to be a tire test engineer. thats probably bull shit too because what he said is a lie. Sound like a car salesman when you ask about mods. They will tell you if it isnt factory it cant be done.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:52 AM   #47
my3sons_nh

Drives: 2018 2SS A8 Convertible Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
Ive been stranded, awful experience with Chevy roadside and then a dealer that wanted $48 for a patch job. Ive shied away from a slime job as they used to say it'd ruin the tire otherwise but if this new formula is better I may go that route. Looked in to a plug kit, inflator, and jack all in total was under $100 I think.

Any recent experience with the reformulated slime mentioned earlier that "washes out" and won't damage the tire or TPS? Considering swapping the OEM runflats for AS3's prior to a long road trip in July and the idea of a flat in the middle of nowhere, even with AAA and the Michelin warranty roadside assistance, isn't too appealing.
my3sons_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:58 AM   #48
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Eventually, I will get rid of my run-flats. When I do, I will get a small spare tire and a jack and keep them in the trunk.

Probably something like this, although I have not done complete research yet: https://modernspare.com/product/2016...v=f24485ae434a
Old 02-27-2020, 11:20 AM   #49
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
no it does not have to be recalibrated because of different tires. run flat tires are heavy because they have thicker sidewalls to hold the car up with no air in them. This makes them less than ideal for performance. changing to a lighter tire with the same speed rating or better will make the car handle better because they will be lighter. but really its a moot point because the difference in weight isn't enough to really matter. the guy claims to be a tire test engineer. thats probably bull shit too because what he said is a lie. Sound like a car salesman when you ask about mods. They will tell you if it isnt factory it cant be done.
^This. I've done the exact same thing (from Goodyear runflats to Michelin PS4S), nothing was "recalibrated" and handling improved, road noise all but disappeared, wet traction is so much better is isn't even in the same ballpark, all at the cost of giving up a little dry traction.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:11 PM   #50
groove93

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro 1LT RS
Had 4 Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 tires installed after two years of owning my car. Night and Day difference compared to the Run Flats.
groove93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:56 AM   #51
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
The CR guy that said that is a tire testing engineer. I’m not saying he’s right or wrong. I do have the Magnetic Ride Control (MRC) & wonder if it must be recalibrated with different tires or does it calibrate itself? Is it the same MRC used on both the SS & RS or are they different? This is a huge concern because of where I live. I can’t drive 50 miles to a shop for repairs. To get to any decent size town is at least 100 miles in any direction. I don’t think the Michigan dingbats took the fact that many of us live in huge, open Western states into consideration.
What he said is that moving from a run-flat to a non run-flat will CHANGE the handling characteristics (according to what you wrote). He didn't say that it would get WORSE.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:13 AM   #52
Yellow BB

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 2SS
I was just at my local Goodyear store having a tire replaced & noticed they have a new Eagle tire. They are called the Eagle Exhilarate. They appear to have great ratings so far. The treadwear number is 500, so they should last WAY longer than the F1s. Has anyone tried these?
Yellow BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #53
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
I was just at my local Goodyear store having a tire replaced & noticed they have a new Eagle tire. They are called the Eagle Exhilarate. They appear to have great ratings so far. The treadwear number is 500, so they should last WAY longer than the F1s. Has anyone tried these?
I'd expect a 500 treadwear tire to last a long time, but have POOR performance capability (compared to the stock rubber). I haven't seen any data on the tire, that's just my assumption.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:47 PM   #54
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
The Exhilarate beats out the DWS06 according to TR.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:58 PM   #55
Ghostog27

Drives: 2017 1LT Camaro
Quote:
I just watched the latest edition of Consumer Reports Talking Cars. A reader asked about replacing run flat tires with conventional tires & they advised against it! Their rationale is that cars with factory installed run flats are designed specifically to use that type of tire & by changing that, can seriously change the handling of the car. I never gave that much thought to that issue. Does anyone have a recent list of all of the current run flats available for the SS & above? Some of the tire testing websites are outdated.

I concur. I’m only in a 1 LT V6 and prefer the whole driving experience and how the car handles way better on the stock runflats. The car stays flat. I can only imagine the difference in the V8. I went with the As05’s and like any non runflats there is a whole lot more tire roll which translates to body roll which translates to loss of grip and the ability to push the car where you want it when you want it there. I don’t think the GM engineers put those tires on the car just because. It was intentional for sure. But I get the problem with the runflats for anyone who deals with weather. Even what little rain we get here in So Cal I would pucker up when driving in rain once they got some wear on them. And then there’s the lifespan of them.. I only got like 15000 miles with 2 track days and spirited canyon driving. Ohh yah lol and then there’s the cost. Runflats sure ain’t cheap for how much lifespan they have.. just my 2cents. But they sure are great tires in dry warm weather!
Ghostog27 is offline   Reply With Quote