Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #1
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
Does it piss you off - A8 out A10 in.

It would sure piss me off that I just bought a brand new camaro, and boom the next year they put in the A10 in place of the A8. Anyone else feel like that?? The A8 is a great trans, but A10 is two more. And more is better...lol
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #2
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
No, not at all.

It was three years with the A8. I didn't buy a 2016 model 1st year 6th gen Camaro with expectations it wouldn't change or evolve after just a few years even.

Many will say "good riddance" (with much justification) to the A8 transmission, but honestly if the 2019 "fix" that is supposedly coming, really does fix the shudder TC issues these have, the A8 will be pretty great. I think the A8 (shudder issue removed) is fantastic.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
lawguy85

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
It would sure piss me off that I just bought a brand new camaro, and boom the next year they put in the A10 in place of the A8. Anyone else feel like that?? The A8 is a great trans, but A10 is two more. And more is better...lol
Nope, not at all. Exact same 0-60, likely a similar 1/4, and I don't have to live with the refreshed front end. If I get the shudder, then yeah I'll be pissed, but until then it seems absolutely meaningless for my use case.
lawguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #4
70chevelleSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1970 chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
No, not at all.

It was three years with the A8. I didn't buy a 2016 model 1st year 6th gen Camaro with expectations it wouldn't change or evolve after just a few years even.

Many will say "good riddance" (with much justification) to the A8 transmission, but honestly if the 2019 "fix" that is supposedly coming, really does fix the shudder TC issues these have, the A8 will be pretty great. I think the A8 (shudder issue removed) is fantastic.
Agreed.The A8, when in good working order, is excellent in my experience. Add a TCM tune in there and it turns into a downright beast.
70chevelleSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:00 PM   #5
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Not at all. An A8 is a step up from a 3 on the tree, 4 on the floor, etc. It's the best transmission I've ever had. I'm delighted.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #6
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
I would only be upset if the A10 was the same as the ones in the zl1's, those things are monsters in more ways than 1.

since the A10 is supposedly a weaker version of an A8 with 2 more gears, I'll pass.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #7
Drags1998

Drives: 15 SilveradoLTZ,162SSVert BlazerRS
My A8 has been VERY GOOD to Me, It works just fine!!! The A10 will at some point show its UGLY side and then We will Be ready for the NEW A12 that will show up in a few YEARS!!!!!!
Drags1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:21 PM   #8
Prodogs

Drives: 2017 2ss
No regrets at all - A8 is fine with me.
Prodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:58 PM   #9
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
Once you get past some number of forward gears in a transmission, adding still more just pushes you further into the realm of diminishing returns. IOW, don't expect as much improvement going from 8 to 10 that you might have gotten a few years back going from 4 to 6.

In theory, 10 will allow you to stay in a tighter powerband . . . which can end up being so tight in normal street driving that the thing is either shifting all the time as speeds vary only a little, or it learns to skip gears so you'll stop blaming it for not being able to make up its mind.

Going to 10 was likely pushed by mpg pressures; 8 is already more than most people would ever want in a manual transmission. Maybe with the A10's really close "middle ratios", the torque converter never needs to unlock once you've got the car rolling.

But all that said, it's kind of pointless to second-guess the purchase you did make, assuming that you made all your decisions about that purchase with the best and most complete information available to you at the time.

Norm
Old 12-12-2018, 05:20 PM   #10
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
people are running into the 8's with stock or nearly stock a8's. I am pretty happy about that. I am jealous of the trans brake feature the mustang guys have with their version of the a10.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:34 PM   #11
ChickenPoop
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Plum Crazy Scat Pack Charger
Yes. Yes I am. The A8 has issues and GM won't friggin fix it. Their magic cure all that those of us with the shudder or other problems have been waiting on is nothing but another damn flush. They have had several years to address this, and this is what we get. Another big F you. I am done. Damn a warranty. Soon as HP Tuners gets more in stock, I am buying another TCM and getting another converter put in. The folks at GM can eat a bag of dicks and choke to death on the last one.
ChickenPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:49 PM   #12
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenPoop View Post
Yes. Yes I am. The A8 has issues and GM won't friggin fix it. Their magic cure all that those of us with the shudder or other problems have been waiting on is nothing but another damn flush. They have had several years to address this, and this is what we get. Another big F you. I am done. Damn a warranty. Soon as HP Tuners gets more in stock, I am buying another TCM and getting another converter put in. The folks at GM can eat a bag of dicks and choke to death on the last one.
Wont do you any good to buy another TCM, even with the new one having your VIN I am pretty sure you will need a visit to the dealership to have the TCM sync'd to the system.

Save the money and just tune your TCM.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:55 PM   #13
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
No, not at all.

I feel the same way...I do not have the shudder issue and track my car just fine. For autocross, I wish there was a way to turn on performance shift mode before you launch but otherwise it is fine if you go to the paddle shifters.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:30 PM   #14
ChickenPoop
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Plum Crazy Scat Pack Charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Wont do you any good to buy another TCM, even with the new one having your VIN I am pretty sure you will need a visit to the dealership to have the TCM sync'd to the system.

Save the money and just tune your TCM.
I will look into this. Thanks.
ChickenPoop is offline   Reply With Quote