Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Phastek Performance

Old 09-11-2018, 09:50 AM   #1
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Can you talk to us about the challenges with improving cold shifts on the TR6060?

The TR6060 can be difficult to shift before it gets up to temperature. Some members have reported that the problem can be alleviated by using aftermarket transmission fluid, but trade-offs are likely being overlooked.

Can you talk to us about the challenges with improving cold shifts and the considerations the Camaro team makes when choosing a transmission fluid?

Thanks!

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
As a midwest owner I would love to have this question sent up.
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:50 AM   #3
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
The TR6060 can be difficult to shift before it gets up to temperature. Some members have reported that the problem can be alleviated by using aftermarket transmission fluid, but trade-offs are likely being overlooked.

Can you talk to us about the challenges with improving cold shifts and the considerations the Camaro team makes when choosing a transmission fluid?

Thanks!
Interesting question Travis; as usual.

Although I believe it unlikely that we will get anything other than an OEM T fluid recommendation, I'm interested in their thoughts on fluids.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:58 PM   #4
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Royal Purple SyncroMax did wonders for mine (can still get a false 3rd gear when doing a no-lift shift, however the shift action is significantly improved)
DorkMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:10 AM   #5
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
Royal Purple SyncroMax did wonders for mine (can still get a false 3rd gear when doing a no-lift shift, however the shift action is significantly improved)
I hear statements like this a lot which is the reason for the question. The engineers at GM are pretty sharp. I'm thinking they are aware of the cold shift problem, but there's a reason for sticking with the fluid they're using. It could just be a supplier contract, but I suspect it's more than that.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
Old 09-21-2018, 06:02 AM   #6
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I hear statements like this a lot which is the reason for the question. The engineers at GM are pretty sharp. I'm thinking they are aware of the cold shift problem, but there's a reason for sticking with the fluid they're using. It could just be a supplier contract, but I suspect it's more than that.
My best friend at General Motors Prooving Grounds in Milford, MI and works in the calibration / R&D department.

When I asked him about the clunky shifting, he said "Just switch it to Syncromax or Redline, thats what everyone here does that owns a Tremec trans".

GM doesn't even make the transmission and they didn't design it. They fill it as absolutely as cheaply as they can with the same fluid they put in any other manual transmission.

There are MANY people on this forum who have done the same thing and it fixed their issues.

Tremec uses composite syncros which means you have to use an ATF without any detergents in it (the detergent will make the syncros swell), which means most of your Dex4 ATFs CANNOT be used. That is why GM recommends DEX3, which is non-synthetic. Not because it is their best option, but because it won't ruin the syncros.

The SyncroMax is a full blown synthetic lube with no detergent.
DorkMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:06 AM   #7
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
My best friend at General Motors Prooving Grounds in Milford, MI and works in the calibration / R&D department.

When I asked him about the clunky shifting, he said "Just switch it to Syncromax or Redline, thats what everyone here does that owns a Tremec trans".

GM doesn't even make the transmission and they didn't design it. They fill it as absolutely as cheaply as they can with the same fluid they put in any other manual transmission.

There are MANY people on this forum who have done the same thing and it fixed their issues.

Tremec uses composite syncros which means you have to use an ATF without any detergents in it (the detergent will make the syncros swell), which means most of your Dex4 ATFs CANNOT be used. That is why GM recommends DEX3, which is non-synthetic. Not because it is their best option, but because it won't ruin the syncros.

The SyncroMax is a full blown synthetic lube with no detergent.
I sincerely don't mean to sound rude, but I posted this for Al and his team to answer. I'm well aware of the general consensus on this forum.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
Old 09-22-2018, 03:42 AM   #8
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I would vote for this question also

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote