Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

AWE Tuning

Old 12-01-2016, 04:45 AM   #43
BamBam2SS

Drives: 2017 2SS/M6 W/MRC & NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanchez18 View Post
which ones did you buy? I like how bright they are! Also, do you know if they'll fit a 2017?
Make sure you have standard HID headlights first... It's only on the SS' and RS equipped models.

I have a loaner 1LT non RS package from the dealership (for now) and it has halogen headlights, The D3S bulbs won't work unless you have RS package... You'll need an entire HID kit and even then I'm not sure how well it'll work.
BamBam2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:40 AM   #44
tsanchez18
Software Architect

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0L Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCamaro7 View Post
D3S Xenon HID Headlights Bulb - 4300K 6000K 8000K - 2 Pcs - Sinoparcel (6000K) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KNEW3Q6..._3F1pybHKVBBWD

Here you go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tsanchez18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:42 AM   #45
tsanchez18
Software Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam2SS View Post
Make sure you have standard HID headlights first... It's only on the SS' and RS equipped models.

I have a loaner 1LT non RS package from the dealership (for now) and it has halogen headlights, The D3S bulbs won't work unless you have RS package... You'll need an entire HID kit and even then I'm not sure how well it'll work.
Gotcha! Thanks for the heads up! Will this work? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J5QWRLE...JX3NW8FV&psc=1

Also, does anyone know if it voids the warranty if I change out the bulbs?
Old 12-01-2016, 07:09 AM   #46
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
So blinding on coming traffic is no concern to anyone!
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:17 AM   #47
BamBam2SS

Quote:
Gotcha! Thanks for the heads up! Will this work? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J5QWRLE...JX3NW8FV&psc=1

Also, does anyone know if it voids the warranty if I change out the bulbs?
Those are the wrong bulb size, those are D1S' you need D3S if you have the RS package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
We're changing the kelvin level (color temperature), Not the wattage.

It will still retain the same cut off as stock but instead of a yellowish white the stock 4300K (color temperature), we prefer a more pure white to blue'ish white (5500K-6000K)... I personally ordered 35W (stock wattage) 5500K bulbs for a pure white color.

I even think if people were upgrading to 55W it still would retain a pretty clean cut off since it's the design of the projector tube and bulb that will dictate the cut off... it would just be a slightly more intense output and washed out color with higher wattage if it doesn't mess up anything electrical in the car. It's not like we have reflector bowl headlights and sticking an HID kit in them.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:17 AM   #48
Lukemo

Drives: '17 1LT RS V6 6M NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
I get flashed pretty regular with the standard HID's
Lukemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:24 AM   #49
BamBam2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukemo View Post
I get flashed pretty regular with the standard HID's
Changing the bulbs to a higher kelvin won't make it any more brighter... Actually as a matter of fact, once you go below 4000K and above 6000K you start losing useful light as it then becomes more about color than output.

Possibly upping the power wattage (35W stock) to 55W might make the light more intense, But that was only touched on once in the conversation before the gentleman decided to stick with the 35W.

If you're blinding oncoming traffic your headlights may not be aligned properly, You can take it to the dealership and they'll check that out for you... There should be adjustment screws somewhere on the headlights to adjust it up or down.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:37 AM   #50
tsanchez18
Software Architect

Quote:
Those are the wrong bulb size, those are D1S' you need D3S if you have the RS package.
I only have the basic 1LT without the RS package
Old 12-01-2016, 08:44 AM   #51
BamBam2SS

Quote:
I only have the basic 1LT without the RS package
Then your car takes H11 bulbs... You need an entire HID kit (bulb, wiring and ballast).

Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Innovited-Pre...ds=H11+HID+kit

I don't know if you need the canbus anti flicker/error code eliminator thing though, Or else any H11 HID kit will do...

I just looked at my "courtesy loaner" 1LT and there's a black plug thing you have to remove to access the headlight bulb, you will have to drill in to that to get the wiring through.

But also remember, you'll need to re-adjust your headlights and I highly recommend going with a 35W HID kit to try and keep from blinding oncoming traffic. There's an adjustment screw that you can access from the top by looking straight down you just stick a screw driver in and turn to point it up and or down, in your case since you are going with HID, you'll need to go down. Hopefully the projector tube is decent in the halogens so the cut off is pretty clean... you can also go LED since you're starting from halogen as opposed to the OP who was trying to go from HID to LED.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:40 AM   #52
tsanchez18
Software Architect

Quote:
Then your car takes H11 bulbs... You need an entire HID kit (bulb, wiring and ballast).

Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Innovited-Pre...ds=H11+HID+kit

I don't know if you need the canbus anti flicker/error code eliminator thing though, Or else any H11 HID kit will do...

I just looked at my "courtesy loaner" 1LT and there's a black plug thing you have to remove to access the headlight bulb, you will have to drill in to that to get the wiring through.

But also remember, you'll need to re-adjust your headlights and I highly recommend going with a 35W HID kit to try and keep from blinding oncoming traffic. There's an adjustment screw that you can access from the top by looking straight down you just stick a screw driver in and turn to point it up and or down, in your case since you are going with HID, you'll need to go down. Hopefully the projector tube is decent in the halogens so the cut off is pretty clean... you can also go LED since you're starting from halogen as opposed to the OP who was trying to go from HID to LED.

Oh I see. Thanks for the advice! How do you feel about these? Since it'll be easier to install
https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-Silv...silverstar+h11
Old 12-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #53
BamBam2SS

Go with the zxe's they're whiter. I had them on my Tacoma years ago.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:22 PM   #54
AlphaCamaro7

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, NPP, A8, FBO, E85
Quote:
Oh I see. Thanks for the advice! How do you feel about these? Since it'll be easier to install

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-Silv...silverstar+h11

These are not HID. Go with an HID kit. You'll be satisfied. They are not hard to install.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:25 PM   #55
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCamaro7 View Post
These are not HID. Go with an HID kit. You'll be satisfied. They are not hard to install.

I agree! Those Silverstars suck big time, a HID is easy to install and much better.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:26 PM   #56
msznolv

Drives: Red Hot 2016 2SS
Just ordered my D3S from Amazon. Installing them Saturday. Don't like the 4300K HIDs. Thanks for all the information.
msznolv is offline   Reply With Quote