Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-30-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
Lukemo

Drives: '17 1LT RS V6 6M NPP
Thumbs up Camaro makes Car and Driver 10 Best List again!

Maybe this was posted already...? but it made their 10 best again and they say some pretty great things about it

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-coupes-page-4

Quote:
Name:  Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 8.58.12 AM.jpg
Views: 3015
Size:  79.3 KB

No car on this year’s 10Best Cars roster is more at odds with its image than the Chevrolet Camaro. The nameplate has been around since 1967—excepting a seven-year sabbatical that started after 2002—plenty of time to forge a place for itself in the American psyche. But whether you love Chevy’s pony car for its cartoonish looks and loutish personality or you detest it for, well, its cartoonish looks and loutish personality, here’s some news for you: You have the Camaro all wrong.

Imagine meeting Vin Diesel and discovering that he has a law degree, quotes Robert Frost, and speaks with an English accent worthy of royalty. Maybe he is all that; we don’t know—we’ve never met him. That’s the Camaro’s story as well: You can’t know it until you’re one on one with it, preferably on a challenging two-lane road. It is there that the Camaro will demolish your preconceptions, one corner at a time.

We do our evaluations for 10Best Cars on exactly those kinds of devilish roads, ones with humps, heaves, blind crests, and fast, sweeping corners—which is why this sixth-generation Camaro made it on to the winners’ rostrum for the third year in a row. Like last year, it’s only the V-6 and V-8 coupes that qualify. The base turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four lacks the power, refinement, and singing voice of its larger-engined brethren, and the convertibles are missing the structural rigidity and finely honed chassis of the tin-topped models.

About that chassis. It’s one of the best in the world, with the kind of preternaturally intuitive steering, faultless brakes, and overall balance you’d expect from a Porsche. Aside from the bewinged 650-hp ZL1 1LE track-attack monster, Camaros ride with uncanny suppleness, too.

A base Camaro coupe with the 335-hp 3.6-liter V-6, six-speed manual, RS trim, and snarly performance exhaust lists for about $31,000 and drives a lot like the BMW 3-series used to. The sweet spot in the lineup is the SS, with its bellicose 455-hp 6.2-liter V-8. It’s a Corvette with jump seats. Add the 1LE package to either of these cars and it remains a comfortable daily driver that’s stout enough for track duty. What more could an enthusiast want?

Maybe a ZL1. It’s as refined and adept as an SS but with strong enough acceleration to alter time and an exhaust note piped in from the earth’s molten core. The ZL1 is a supercar that just happens to look like a Camaro.

Camaros are highly focused cars with some very obvious shortcomings. There’s plenty of tire noise, the rear seat is best suited to Lilliputians, interior storage is virtually nonexistent, and seeing out of the gun-slit windows is a pain. And then there’s that image.

A reputation is a hard thing to live down. Perception often lags reality, and the reality is this: Camaros are among the most sophisticated driver’s cars in the world. And three consecutive years on the 10Best Cars list proves that this Chevy isn’t just great at attacking a corner, it has also turned one. —Rich Ceppos
Lukemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:24 PM   #2
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
We are so fortunate....Living in the resurgence of the Muscle Car era...And we own one of the best out there.

Talk about bargain priced performance!
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:58 PM   #3
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukemo View Post
Maybe this was posted already...? but it made their 10 best again and they say some pretty great things about it

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-coupes-page-4

oops, the turbo and convertible Camaro are not included!
Attached Images

MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:15 PM   #4
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
And to add a little gravy to the steak....

https://www.caranddriver.com/flipboo...-of-the-moment
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:42 PM   #5
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
Oops, no Mustang? It’s amazing how Chevy got most intangibles right the first time, and they still have a second shot at it with the refresh. I’m honestly surprised that the Stang didn’t make the list, because it seems to be an amazing car after the refresh. What a time to be a car enthusiast...

Let’s just take a moment to acknowledge the lack of a BMW on the list. Is it the lack of a manual M car, the lack of M Power, or the lack of M value? The dropped the V8, they dropped the manual, they’re even phasing out RWD. And to pay $64,000 for a BASE model M4, which has mustang GT power and 1SS standard features, it’s just crazy. I liked their naturally aspirated straight sixes and V8 m5s... but man has BMW Fallen off the performance market.
Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:54 PM   #6
Triple D

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Hyper Blue
I couldn't agree more. I loved my E36 M3 for its great handling, reasonable cost in '97, and refinement. The straight six was silky sweet. Now BMW's look like and drive like Toyotas. I ended up buying an old e36 M3 for a track car and use my 2017 SS for day to day fun.
Triple D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:00 PM   #7
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Well done, Chevy!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:39 PM   #8
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank237 View Post
We are so fortunate....Living in the resurgence of the Muscle Car era...And we own one of the best out there.

I'm not so sure you can call the Camaro a muscle car any more. It's more of a sports car than anything else.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:14 PM   #9
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank237 View Post

Bargain basement priced performance! Honestly, I am so glad I bought the Camaro over the Mustang. I was set on the new GT and even joined the Mustang Club of America anticipating the Ford discount pricing you get with membership. Luckily, I was getting impatient waiting and started doing more research of the Camaro which I had told myself I would never think about owning.

I'm not a brand guy, but owned custom classic Chevys my entire driving life. I was not impressed with late model GM offerings and the horrible interiors they had for years. I was fond of the LS engines, so much so that I installed an LS in my 65 Chevelle pro touring car as have tons of other builders and enthusiasts. Those engines are bullet proof.

The Alpha chassis is also incredible. The interiors are really nice now and I can say without a doubt that Chevy has done an incredible job and this Camaro, especially the 1LE drives and feels like a 60k sports car at the price of a Toyota. In fact, this incredible car cost me less than my wife's 4Runner, our friend's Highlander, and significantly less than my RAM pickup.

I love the concept car styling which looks nothing like most cars on the road. I have no visibility issues and don't understand all the complaints about vis out of the rear window. I see just fine and use my mirrors as they're meant to be used.

My buddy just bought a BMW 4 series and almost choked when I took him for a ride and then found out how much I paid. Let's just say that he has buyers remorse. He admitted that he thought we paid the same and that although the Camaro is faster and performs better, he could brag about the badge. Oops! He had no idea how nice it really is. That's thatvmisconception that the article was getting at. This ain't your bad old days Camaro. No mullets here!

Bravo Zulu Chevy!!
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:18 PM   #10
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple D View Post
I couldn't agree more. I loved my E36 M3 for its great handling, reasonable cost in '97, and refinement. The straight six was silky sweet. Now BMW's look like and drive like Toyotas. I ended up buying an old e36 M3 for a track car and use my 2017 SS for day to day fun.
Exactly what I want to do. I would round things out with a 964 for weekend drives. With those three plus my 01 4Runner I could go without any more cars for the rest of my life. Lol.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:48 AM   #11
BurningMan

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS / 2012 CBR1000RR
It's nice when companies let engineers do their job.
BurningMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:14 AM   #12
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
That's actually a nice list of cars.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:10 PM   #13
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
I'm not so sure you can call the Camaro a muscle car any more. It's more of a sports car than anything else.
Agreed.

I used the "muscle car" moniker as I lived through the first golden age in the 60's.One of those "Old dogs/New tricks" things. I agree it is nbow surely a sports Car.

And to show my age...with the BMW talk above...I had a used 1969 BMW 2002 and then in 1975 bought a new 1976 2002 in Polaris Silver...the end of the 2002 era.

I agree....WHERE BMW has fallen is a travesty.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:02 PM   #14
aland12345

Drives: 2016 Bright Yellow Camaro vert
Think they need to add the convertable as well.

I'm a drop top man myself haven't owned a "Tin Top" since 1997. While slightly heavier, it is still an excellent automobile with the added visibility. I can't think of another convertible i'd rather have...
aland12345 is offline   Reply With Quote