Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-24-2023, 08:37 AM   #85
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2023ZL1 View Post
RUMOR IS GM'S EV BATTERY SOURCE IS THE BIG ISSUE.
NEW V8'S WITH HYBRID SYSTEMS WOULD BE FINE BY ME.
I don't think you will see mainstream hybrids from GM. Mark Reuss has talked in the past about the amount of calibration required in a hybrid - you have to do a gas, an electric, and a combined calibration. His point was that doing a hybrid took the development work of three vehicles, and that GM was resource constrained for calibration engineers. I think the eRay is the exception unfortunately, not the rule.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:49 AM   #86
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
I don't think you will see mainstream hybrids from GM. Mark Reuss has talked in the past about the amount of calibration required in a hybrid - you have to do a gas, an electric, and a combined calibration. His point was that doing a hybrid took the development work of three vehicles, and that GM was resource constrained for calibration engineers. I think the eRay is the exception unfortunately, not the rule.

-Geoff
By the time GM decided “no hybrids, all EV” the hybrid variants (plural) for Corvette were already far along in development and the hybrid system was/is critical to achieving performance targets. So decidedly more a performance feature than a fuel economy feature. For fuel economy, the GM answer is electricity.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:58 AM   #87
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
Then that vehicle would only be legal if filled with E85 at least for emissions purposes..... But then you would hurt your fuel economy......

This is literally turning into a, " I don't like this, so I will throw every excuse in my temper tantrum" discussion when change occurs.

And I am ignoring the EV transition here. Strictly talking about a switch from OHV->DOHC.

People will get over an architecture change much like people got over the loss of the retractable headlights on C6, loss of round tail lights on C7, and the move to a mid-engine architecture on the C8 Corvette.
Fuel Economy is off set by the lower cost. If all there was at the pump is E85 then it is of no concern. E85 has been around for 20+ years now. It could have went main stream but it's not profitable enough for the higher ups. But if they were truly concerned about the environment alternative fuels would be a lot more available.

The only thing greener about electric is when it's going down the road. The resources to produce the batteries is far worse for the environment than Direct Injection ICE on the road.

This isn't turning into anything...The only one with a Temper is you when somebody offers a different opinion.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:39 AM   #88
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Believe the OP was referring to Cobalt being mined by children in the African mines, not Lithium. There was a big news story that broke recently about it.
Yeah, it's worse than most people thought. I have a hard time believing that sourcing cobalt from genocidal criminal orgs is actually legal in most modern countries, execs in related businesses need to go to prison over this. And if the UN can't deal with this type of thing that it's hard to understand WTF they are doing.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3ZBdeZLitzqNPBbvv9QIEz
Old 01-24-2023, 12:02 PM   #89
Casper the friendly G
Account Suspended

Drives: 17' Chevy Kamaro SS 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Your post reminds me of the Mony Python Holy Grail, sorry.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC3

I'm not dead. I'm getting better.

As for mines and pictures of the children? Well if you have something valuable that can be dug out of the ground by child labor, it's going to be dug out of the ground by children to make someone some money.

But simple sloothing would indicate the largest supplier of Lithium is actually Australia not Africa with Chile second (laregest known reserves). But if you are anti EV, the pictures of the kids makes a better narrative. Pretty sure the largest producer has child labor laws like we do.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...the-world.html

Yeh..searches are so easy in 2023....
Where are the minerals for car batteries mined?

In fact, the richest deposits are in places like the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Australia and Chile. But China set out intentionally to dominate the processing of these minerals, as part of a plan to become a major player in electric vehicles
Casper the friendly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:52 PM   #90
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Tesla price cuts probably killing them
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 02:52 PM   #91
3.8TransAM

Drives: SS 1LE, 89 TTA, 91 GTA, 91 Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Fuel Economy is off set by the lower cost. If all there was at the pump is E85 then it is of no concern. E85 has been around for 20+ years now. It could have went main stream but it's not profitable enough for the higher ups. But if they were truly concerned about the environment alternative fuels would be a lot more available.

The only thing greener about electric is when it's going down the road. The resources to produce the batteries is far worse for the environment than Direct Injection ICE on the road.

This isn't turning into anything...The only one with a Temper is you when somebody offers a different opinion.

E85 is a joke in and off itself. It's made from corn with subsidies and subsidies to make the ethanol :-) Go look at what pumps in front of an ethanol plant sell gas for then go to a gas station in any populated area. they bend us over in any populated area for E85. E85 makes zero sense unless its 20% cheaper than regular gasoline as you're going to incur a 20% roughly penalty on gas mileage all things being the same. Lot of moving parts and forcing EVs down our throats is not the answer either.
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:13 PM   #92
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.8TransAM View Post
E85 is a joke in and off itself. It's made from corn with subsidies and subsidies to make the ethanol :-) Go look at what pumps in front of an ethanol plant sell gas for then go to a gas station in any populated area. they bend us over in any populated area for E85. E85 makes zero sense unless its 20% cheaper than regular gasoline as you're going to incur a 20% roughly penalty on gas mileage all things being the same. Lot of moving parts and forcing EVs down our throats is not the answer either.
The largest issue with corn ethanol is it doesn't make energy or save carbon emissions. If you add up the energy it takes to farm the corn and distill the ethanol (almost always derived from fossil fuels), you're doing well if you just break even.

It does help us use less oil, but afaik we're now a net exporter anyways, so it's not helping with energy independence either.

The biggest plus is it's high octane, lol.
Old 01-24-2023, 04:14 PM   #93
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Ethanol subsidies came about decades ago under the premise that we wanted to increase the price of corn/grains that we had in abundance and drive down the price of oil which we lacked (at the time). A lot has changed since then, in terms of supply vs demand market conditions.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 06:40 PM   #94
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
Ethanol subsidies came about decades ago under the premise that we wanted to increase the price of corn/grains that we had in abundance and drive down the price of oil which we lacked (at the time). A lot has changed since then, in terms of supply vs demand market conditions.
I'm nervous as shit that they're going to phase out E85. If they do, my 11.5:1 CR FI motor isn't going to work out so well anymore. I just got the damn thing back together; I'd hate to have to rip it back apart to drop the compression.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:23 PM   #95
Alan47717

Drives: 2022 1LT RS 2.0t/6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper the friendly G View Post
Yeh..searches are so easy in 2023....
Where are the minerals for car batteries mined?

In fact, the richest deposits are in places like the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Australia and Chile. But China set out intentionally to dominate the processing of these minerals, as part of a plan to become a major player in electric vehicles
Actually, the primary child labor atrocities are in the Congo mining Cobalt, which is also vital to battery manufacture. Lithium is South America, Australia and China with their own associated atrocities of the environmental nature.
Alan47717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:47 PM   #96
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan47717 View Post
Actually, the primary child labor atrocities are in the Congo mining Cobalt, which is also vital to battery manufacture. Lithium is South America, Australia and China with their own associated atrocities of the environmental nature.
And oil is clean as can be? Not. It’s just industrialized and seems “cleaner”.
Old 01-25-2023, 08:03 PM   #97
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
And as for Cobalt….

https://fresh-energy.org/whats-up-wi...n-ev-batteries
Old 01-25-2023, 08:06 PM   #98
MPowered

Drives: cam of course
All of this talk about petrol, E85, and EV is insteresting. Did you guys see a Top Gear episode last year where they talked about Porsche developing synthetic fuel? Hydrogen based with no emissions. The bad: about $20/gallon. Our government need to get on this synthetic fuel subsidies because they're propping up everything else.
MPowered is offline   Reply With Quote