Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-07-2020, 05:00 PM   #43
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaxas View Post
I get 23-24 with regular highway cruising mostly on 6th gear, I managed to get like 31 with Cruise Control on the day I took delivery, mind you it was 70 on 6th for a fair amount of time without braking or accelerating
Realistically, I would think the 3.6 and 6.2 would have a big gap in gas mileage difference if a lot of idling is involved. AFAIK the amount of fuel required to idle an engine is somewhat proportional to their displacement so the 6.2 will need more gas to idle. Otherwise, I think a 10% to 20% difference would be about right when both are driven around in the same condition.

I am no hypermiler, but if I have to idle for a long, long time in the range of minutes, I will shut my engine off. I don't mind burning more fuel for fun, but idling isn't fun.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:06 PM   #44
digitalfutur

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS 3.6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
I see the gas mileage subject being mentioned between the different models, and have some direct comparisons between my 2018 V6 and my neighbors 2016 V8. Both A8's as well. We both both drive in very similar conditions (90% rural country type roads) and I average 26-27 mpgs, and he averages about 20. His driving style is very similar to mine on these comparisons, which is fairly relaxed. So apples to apples, I'd say about a 20% difference in fuel consumption. Factor in a solid $1 difference between 87 and 93 at this current point, the cost difference in total becomes pretty significant.
Thanks for confirming what I also concluded when I ran the numbers before getting my '18 RS V6. That and an extra $10Gs for a V8 for a 1.1 second gain in 0-60 make getting the V8 not cost-effective in the real world unless it's going to be tracked.
digitalfutur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:17 PM   #45
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfutur View Post
Thanks for confirming what I also concluded when I ran the numbers before getting my '18 RS V6. That and an extra $10Gs for a V8 for a 1.1 second gain in 0-60 make getting the V8 not cost-effective in the real world unless it's going to be tracked.
Your numbers are very similar to mine. When I bought my 18 RS V6, we ran the numbers on a 1SS for fun, and it was about a 9k difference. And this was pretty much a apples to apples comparison. In other words the both had similar options and both were automatics. If the LT1 was an option back then I might have went with that (hard to say) but my goal was to stay under 30k brand new, so no way was that happening with the SS. For a true daily driver (rain or shine, snow, driven all year)the V6 is one hell of a car IMO
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:55 PM   #46
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Realistically, I would think the 3.6 and 6.2 would have a big gap in gas mileage difference if a lot of idling is involved. AFAIK the amount of fuel required to idle an engine is somewhat proportional to their displacement so the 6.2 will need more gas to idle. Otherwise, I think a 10% to 20% difference would be about right when both are driven around in the same condition.

I am no hypermiler, but if I have to idle for a long, long time in the range of minutes, I will shut my engine off. I don't mind burning more fuel for fun, but idling isn't fun.
Idling is lethal in the V8, I suffer every time I'm at a stop light lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfutur View Post

Comparing numbers is the thing keyboard warriors do in YouTube comment sections, numbers are irrelevant irl, there's so much more to driving a car and so many different situations that you can't really say $10gs for 1.1 seconds (actually it's more around 2 seconds) isn't worth it

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:44 PM   #47
UnknownJinX

Quote:

Comparing numbers is the thing keyboard warriors do in YouTube comment sections, numbers are irrelevant irl, there's so much more to driving a car and so many different situations that you can't really say $10gs for 1.1 seconds (actually it's more around 2 seconds) isn't worth it
Yeah, but turning off the engine at each stoplight is too much IMO. The extra wear on the starter and battery will likely offset the fuel-saving in the long run. And no, I am not wishing for a start-stop system in our car.

As for the V6, I personally would have appreciated the V6 more if it's more like the V8 in the sense that it sacrifices revs for more low-end torque, but that's just me since I already had some fun with high-revving cars. With the way it is, Camaro is covering the base pretty well, you got your turbocharged hot hatch engine(LTG), high-revving NA engine(LGX), American pushrod V8(LT1), and the bonkers supercharged pushrod(LT4), so to each of their own.

Also, no MRC on the V6 as well, and I like the MRC.

Past:
Old 06-08-2020, 04:16 PM   #48
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Yeah, but turning off the engine at each stoplight is too much IMO. The extra wear on the starter and battery will likely offset the fuel-saving in the long run. And no, I am not wishing for a start-stop system in our car.

As for the V6, I personally would have appreciated the V6 more if it's more like the V8 in the sense that it sacrifices revs for more low-end torque, but that's just me since I already had some fun with high-revving cars. With the way it is, Camaro is covering the base pretty well, you got your turbocharged hot hatch engine(LTG), high-revving NA engine(LGX), American pushrod V8(LT1), and the bonkers supercharged pushrod(LT4), so to each of their own.

Also, no MRC on the V6 as well, and I like the MRC.
I agree that's the biggest downside to a n/a V6 motor in general. A good tune makes a huge difference in the low end torque on these V6's. Not so much in total torque production, but rather in management and delivery. I've ridden in a few tuned V6 Camaros and Mustangs, and really feel it in them more so. Of course that could void the warranty, but that's a whole other issue lol. Basically if I could have a warranty covered tune in my V6 I'd be totally happy
Old 06-08-2020, 07:21 PM   #49
UnknownJinX

Quote:
I agree that's the biggest downside to a n/a V6 motor in general. A good tune makes a huge difference in the low end torque on these V6's. Not so much in total torque production, but rather in management and delivery. I've ridden in a few tuned V6 Camaros and Mustangs, and really feel it in them more so. Of course that could void the warranty, but that's a whole other issue lol. Basically if I could have a warranty covered tune in my V6 I'd be totally happy
You already get your fun out of your 700HP SS so a V6 for DD makes a lot of sense in your case. The lack of torque is pretty relative compared to the V8. I have owned an Accord V6 in the past with even less power and torque than the Camaro V6 and even that's not bad on the street.

Sent from toaster or something

Past:
Old 06-08-2020, 07:57 PM   #50
HCI2000SS

Quote:
You already get your fun out of your 700HP SS so a V6 for DD makes a lot of sense in your case. The lack of torque is pretty relative compared to the V8. I have owned an Accord V6 in the past with even less power and torque than the Camaro V6 and even that's not bad on the street.

Sent from toaster or something
Yes my SS has quite the torque on the 150 shot lol. A tuned V6 Camaro feels kind of similar to the old 4 valve 4.6 V8 motors IMO. That would be one of the closest comparisons I could think of
Old 06-11-2020, 06:50 AM   #51
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:

Yeah, and it would take a whole bunch of money to make up those two seconds. And then you have no warranty and a possibly unreliable car. Not to mention it's not just the engine that's different. It's the fascia, cooling system, brakes, rear fascia, etc.

If you plan to keep it stock, the V6 is the more economical choice by far, but if you buy a V6 and plan to mod it, you would be better off buying an SS.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:10 PM   #52
Quix

Drives: 2016 2LT V6 Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
If you plan to keep it stock, the V6 is the more economical choice by far,
Laugh all you want, but that's exactly why I bought a V6. Cheaper to fuel, cheaper to buy and plenty of power for the road, especially since I spend the majority of my time in atrocious city traffic.

If power is really what you care about, I'd recommend trading the V6 in for the SS. It's more cost effective than trying to mod the same power out of the V6 and you can get even more out of it if you want.

As for me, this car is so much more powerful than the Japanese cars I idolized in the 90's, so I'm having plenty of fun and the savings can go towards my next car.
Quix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:58 AM   #53
RyanR623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quix View Post
Laugh all you want, but that's exactly why I bought a V6. Cheaper to fuel, cheaper to buy and plenty of power for the road, especially since I spend the majority of my time in atrocious city traffic.

If power is really what you care about, I'd recommend trading the V6 in for the SS. It's more cost effective than trying to mod the same power out of the V6 and you can get even more out of it if you want.

As for me, this car is so much more powerful than the Japanese cars I idolized in the 90's, so I'm having plenty of fun and the savings can go towards my next car.
I was definitely not laughing. See my post in the earlier pages.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:46 AM   #54
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Really all of the versions good performers in their own rights. None of them are particularly slow, and all are fairly competent track/autox cars. Just because a faster version exists, doesn't mean the slower version is bad. A not quite apples-to-apples comparison is that just because the Focus RS exists doesn't mean the Fiesta ST is a bad car. In fact, many people consider the Fiesta to be the more enthusiast focused car.

To bring it to boats as Ryan did, whether you're in a 30ft cruiser or a little fishing boat, you're still out on the lake having a good day.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:26 AM   #55
HCI2000SS

My biggest complaint about the V6 Camaro is that it feels to soft relative to its total performance and horsepower output. Some of that is related to a lower torque output in general, but it goes quite a bit deeper than that. Case in point we recently rented a 2019 Charger 3.6 V6. That car has 30 hp less and weighs about 700 lbs more. But IMO it feels about as quick as my V6 Camaro out of the gate, but in reality it's obviously not. The way that Dodge calibrates their vehicles makes them feel much snappier (creating the illusion and/or perception of more low end torque) thus making it more lively and fun.

This weekend I'm going to be installing a Soler Performance throttle body, which I'm hoping will make it "feel" more snappy and torquey like. Hopefully this will help balance out the feel of the powerband a bit, instead of it feeling like it's all top end more or less
Old 06-24-2020, 11:39 AM   #56
RyanR623

Quote:
My biggest complaint about the V6 Camaro is that it feels to soft relative to its total performance and horsepower output. Some of that is related to a lower torque output in general, but it goes quite a bit deeper than that. Case in point we recently rented a 2019 Charger 3.6 V6. That car has 30 hp less and weighs about 700 lbs more. But IMO it feels about as quick as my V6 Camaro out of the gate, but in reality it's obviously not. The way that Dodge calibrates their vehicles makes them feel much snappier (creating the illusion and/or perception of more low end torque) thus making it more lively and fun.

This weekend I'm going to be installing a Soler Performance throttle body, which I'm hoping will make it "feel" more snappy and torquey like. Hopefully this will help balance out the feel of the powerband a bit, instead of it feeling like it's all top end more or less
Should help for sure, i know my mamo made a world of difference. The stock throttle bodies are junk. At least in the SS there is a ridge and the blade doesn't clear that ridge until about 30% throttle. So it feels laggy at lower throttle positions.