Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-03-2019, 06:36 PM   #127
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Shit like this is driving lot's of folks away from Camaro6 and will continue to do so. It is painfully obvious that the OP cannot be pleased. He would bitch about it if the dealership gave him a brand new ZLE in his choice of color.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:46 PM   #128
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
But OTOH I've worked for old-school dealers, 4-square bs... car dealers in general can get pretty jaded having to deal with emotional, demanding people. In time, they resent their own customers and an adversarial type of culture develops. Even if customers don't understand it, it's not hard to feel this when visiting dealerships. So situations like this are a result of that... a dealer employee screwed up and was dishonest, and the result was an overreaction, imo. IMO, those who disagree it was an overreaction are doing so simply because of the negative rep dealers have. If it was your refrigerator I doubt you'd feel the same way.

My best advice is to find a salesperson and service writer to develop a relationship with and treat them nicely. If you want to buy a new car you need them, make the best of it.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:02 PM   #129
3.8TransAM

Drives: SS 1LE, 89 TTA, 91 GTA, 91 Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
Shit like this is driving lot's of folks away from Camaro6 and will continue to do so. It is painfully obvious that the OP cannot be pleased. He would bitch about it if the dealership gave him a brand new ZLE in his choice of color.

Ummmm forums are all but dead, it's not people but instant stupification via FaceBook, Twitter and Instagram. Useless places where searching is a joke let alone finding something posted hours ago.........
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:02 PM   #130
gd-bh

Drives: fast ones!
FWIW, it definitely sucks to be in the OP's shoes. As a lifelong "car nut", I understand how they are your "baby", and the emotions when it get's effed up because of a careless person. So, I understand why this is such a major issue to him.

However, I do think he missed a fantastic opportunity here. I would hope that even in the emotion of the moment, I'd have had the clarity to let the dealer attempt his "fix", and if I was unhappy in the least, (and it was already going through my mind to jump to another car, as the OP mentioned) I would have at least tried to use my unhappiness and the fact I'm now talking to the GM (bypassing plenty of middlemen) to leverage myself into a great deal on another car.

Worst case, I end up with my old car, in the same boat he's in now. Best case, I turn lemons into lemonade, and I've got a brand new ZL1, or C8 at dealer cost, and a good trade in on my old one without any reduced value b.s. And given the GM was trying to resolve the issue, my bet I'd be enjoying that new car...
gd-bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #131
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
a dealer employee screwed up and was dishonest
Maybe he was dishonest. Maybe he was a pimple popping crackhead and didn't even notice he screwed up. Those creases on the fenders are easy bend points and you might not catch it visually, or even hear it if you were in a hurry...
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:48 PM   #132
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
just read through the key points - and the OP seems way over the top on this. assuming it costs thousands and thousands to adjust those parts and getting all upset they did it with minimal fuss.

shame his handbuilt Camaro was so badly damaged and now its no better than a Sunfire.
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:21 PM   #133
sv340

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
Sounds like you shot your wad and it ended up on your face, OP. Ask opinions (and got some solid advice), then end up doing what the F* you planned to do any way. Now you have a jacked car, all kinds of headaches, and a rap sheet on the car.

Maybe next time, when people offer to make it right, you'll give them a chance. If it wasn't to your satisfaction, (which I'm sure it wouldn't of been since you wanted to dump the car and thought you had the perfect out), then you could get tough.

And, obviously, there is ALWAYS 3 sides to a story, your truth, their truth, and THE truth. We are only hearing YOUR version and everyone agrees you choked. Just imagine if the dealership posted what they feel happened....

I own an excavation company and have for 26 years. I have been on both sides of this. I have had employees do some stupid shit over the years. I always try and use it as an opportunity to go above and beyond to make it right as in my view a true sign of professionalism is shown when presented with a difficult situation and resolving it. I have largely been successful with that philosophy. However there are some people who clearly want to capitalize on the opportunity presented to them. Regardless what steps are taken to make things right, it simply is not possible. The OP is the kind of customer you are happy to lose.

I have a very solid relationship with my Chevy dealer. I stop in BS with them, make friends and forge relationships. I buy a fair amount of vehicles and when I test drive one, I always put more fuel in it than when I got it. I have done that 20 years. It doesn't go unnoticed and it pays me back when working a deal or getting work done. My salesman will cover an oil change on his dime everyone once in a while. The short story: Be the type of customer YOU would WANT to help. Pretty simple really. I can flip the dick switch but I only pull that lever when all lesser means have failed or cannot reasonably be employed and it is worth destroying the relationship over. This OP gives a great lesson on how not to conduct yourself in this type of situation.
sv340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:25 AM   #134
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
What if... That body shop did a perfect job fixing your car and they did it today. And you'd now be driving a perfectly repaired car and not a loaner Optima and wondering what to do and dealing with insurance and reading other people's stupid opinions online.

Best post on this topic. Only thing I would add is "do not do any painting" and after the dealer shops fix, if you still were not happy then you discuss going to another shop to fix the car to your liking.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:56 AM   #135
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.8TransAM View Post
Ummmm forums are all but dead, it's not people but instant stupification via FaceBook, Twitter and Instagram. Useless places where searching is a joke let alone finding something posted hours ago.........
I couldn't agree more, and could not have stated it any better! Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way!
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:02 AM   #136
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I think this thread is slowly dying and it will be a good thing!��
Old 09-04-2019, 08:27 AM   #137
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
While cosmetically the repair looks better from the outside, we don’t know what possible damage still exists. In the OP’s 1st post, we can see the edge of fender bent, I don’t see how that slight bend could be bent back into shape without removal of the fender. We also don’t know if any damage to the rocker panels occurred. Maybe the alignment is off, damage could be worse. I just had $5300 in hail damage repaired on my 2500HD, looks great from above, pop the hood and you can see all the holes in the hood structure underneath are slightly scarred from the tools used to reach difficult areas from repairs. I would be inspecting under the car with a tech and Dealer management. When minimum service level isn’t met and something goes wrong, I expect solutions that go above. I always stress quality over quantity but that’s just how I roll.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:47 AM   #138
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
While cosmetically the repair looks better from the outside, we don’t know what possible damage still exists. In the OP’s 1st post, we can see the edge of fender bent, I don’t see how that slight bend could be bent back into shape without removal of the fender. We also don’t know if any damage to the rocker panels occurred. Maybe the alignment is off, damage could be worse.
They probably dented the oil pan and damaged the brakes along with the possible alignment issues.....
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:48 AM   #139
Vanthios

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5senna5 View Post
3. I would call the GM and (of course not grovel but) politely apologize for being difficult initially (read my posts previously about how not to annoy the shit out of people trying to fix their mistake at a dealership) Let them attempt a full repair without involving insurance. The “cahoots” they are in with the body shop is called a professional business relationship, with presumably millions of dollars spent going both ways in body and sublet repairs (that’s normal). Turns out the dealership may know more than you about how and where to fix the car. Maybe even just say, “Guys all I’d ask is that my car look just like it did when it arrived before all this.” That’s totally fair. Dictating which shop and multiple estimates before an attempted repair is yet again sending you backwards from getting what you want.
Did this; car's going back to the shop to be inspected and repaired (any of the small stuff left after pulling those fenders back into shape). I apologized for interjecting at every point in their attempt to fix the damage. Also apologized for showing up to the meeting with an adversarial attitude which, regardless of my speaking volume, is true. The general manager didn't really have any control over the third-party body shop doing the repair; it was wrong to chastise him like he did the repair himself.

The general manager told me that the employee that jacked the car up wrong was also the one who was revving my car in their garage. The employee apparently had no idea that he had damaged the fenders, and said he wasn't revving it too much. The general manager told the employee that if it ever happened again he'd be working somewhere else.

I'm still worried about damage that's not visible from the outside. To fix the fenders the body shop use a pinch weld clamp to pull the pinch welds back into place, and then the fenders kind of just went back to their original place. We'll see how things go.

Thanks everyone for the help, guidance, and opinions. I think it's great we have a place where so many fellow Camaro owners can come together and discuss situations like my own. Dissenting or supporting, I appreciate all the responses.

Except for you 5senna5, you dealer bastard you.
(tongue-in-cheek joke...)
Vanthios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:03 AM   #140
5senna5

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Well done bud!
5senna5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage, dealership, mechanic, negligence, sad